02 Taco Parking Brake Adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2008, 03:22 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
02 Taco Parking Brake Adjustment

Any advice on parking brake adjustment for an 02 Taco, manual tranny?

The handle is sloppy and there is no tension on it. It also always shows the light on unless I push in on the handle. The light only stays off if I continue to push on the handle. As soon as I take pressure off the handle, the light goes back on.

I read a few other threads and found one referring to a stuck parking brake at the bell crank. I have recently developed a vibration and think there is a possibility the brake is not disengaging completely.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 AM
New TN User

sounds like it's time to adjust the parking brake system. Start by inspecting/repairing/adjusting the rear brakes. Then the parking brake actuating cable. And then the switch for the brake light. it's pretty straightforward and shouldn't take you more than a few hours.

A maintenance manual of the (chilton or haynes variety) for the truck can be bought at just about any auto parts store for around 20 to 30 bucks. I found a link here in this forum that will take you to a website where you can download the factory maintenance manual for free.. I don't remember where though. These manuals have enough info in them for most all maintenance you'll need to do, including the brakes. That is if you have mechanical aptitude of course.
#3 Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'll search right now for those manuals. I have restored two old GTO's so am pretty decent with a wrench. Just haven't dug into this truck at all yet. Time to get dirty.
#4 Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Taco lover

I suggest pulling the rear drums and cleaning up all of the rear brake components, paying close attention to the self adjusting mechanisms. Lube as needed, re-assemble, and adjust up the brakes manually until you get the slightest drag.

My parking brake was pretty poor before performing this maintenance. Now it engages with just 3 or 4 clicks. The front brakes are so good, I hardly noticed that the rears needed adjustment.

And you live in PA. Just like in WI, your vehicles are subject to "iron oxide errors".

Cheers!

ps- after rereading your original post, it sounds more like an issue with the scissors spring, which pulls the brake lever back against the switch in the dash. This spring is located in the pivot assembly under the driver side of the cab as shown below:

I removed the pivot bolt and added a bushing between the spring and the pivot bolt to keep the spring and bolt concentric.

Between the bushing and the rear brake adjustment, it works great. Hope yours turns out well.

1998 Tacoma TRD - Bought back by Toyota in 2/13 for frame rust.
Currently driving a 2000 4Runner and loving it!

Last edited by riceye; 01-21-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added info
#5 Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM
New TN User

I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4. I am absolutely clueless as far as mechanical work on this vehicle, but would like to give it a try. No Manual at my auto store. My e-brake needs to be adjusted only I don't know where it is located. Tightened an e-brake on a 1980 tercel, but have no idea how to do it on my truck. Please help? Thank you in advance.

Kathy
#6 Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Official TN Member

usually adjusting the rear brakes will make it all good

'02 Lunar Mist S/C TRD 4x4 Tacoma 42K
TRD S/C, SS headers, SS exhaust, airfilter
Classic Soft Trim Black Leather Seats
Bigfoot 17'
Loaded for Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)