remove ignition switch tacoma 1998 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.5–2004)

1st Generation (1995.5–2004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View flht's Photo Gallery
remove ignition switch tacoma 1998

How remove switch on tacoma 1998 and after how to get off the key cylinder?

Sometime,when I go to turn the key,the key refuse to turn.I think that,it is the blade inside the key cylinder are in trouble

Paul
flht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
The ignition switch is at the opposite end of the ignition lock housing, should need to remove that to get the ignition lock cylinder off. After removing the lower instrument panel, remove the light or immobilizer ring from the lock cylinder housing. Then turn the key to the accessory position, on the lock cylinder housing, there is a small hole where you can put in a small screw driver or punch to release the lock pin for the lock cylinder. Just pull the lock cylinder out with the pin depress.

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
OLD SCHOOL

View xsvtoyz's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
The ignition switch is at the opposite end of the ignition lock housing, should need to remove that to get the ignition lock cylinder off. After removing the lower instrument panel, remove the light or immobilizer ring from the lock cylinder housing. Then turn the key to the accessory position, on the lock cylinder housing, there is a small hole where you can put in a small screw driver or punch to release the lock pin for the lock cylinder. Just pull the lock cylinder out with the pin depress.

N.E.O.
exactly NEO
Old 12-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post

N.E.O.
Meant to say shouldn't have to remove the ignition switch.

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View jrh69ca's Photo Gallery
I had the same issue

I had the same issue; inserting the key felt rough and the key wouldn’t turn. Sometimes jiggling the key would allow you to turn it and once turned it would work. If you pulled the key out, you started all over…

I removed the ignition switch and disassembled it to find two broken wafers. When the key was inserted two of the wafers didn't fully retract thus keeping the key from rotating. I removed the broken wafers and reassembled the lock. Now it works with the original key and is no longer refusing to turn....

If you have looked at the ignition switch and wondered how to dissemble it, here's how I did it;

There are two "rivets" and a blind pin that hold the cover on the lock mechanism (the printed cover "Lock, Acc, On & Start"). Carefully grind off the "rivets", I used a 4" grinder. VERY carefully pry behind the blind pin and between the cover and the lock port. The cover is soft metal and easily distorted. Removing the blind pin requires a certain amount of distortion, use just enough to release the pin from the switch body. Once the cover is removed drive out the blind pin. The lock cylinder is held in by a "C" clip, remove the "C" clip and the lock cylinder will slide out. Watch for the steering column lock pin which will be the first item to fall on the floor when carelessly removing the cylinder. Loose it and steering column won't unlock when you put it all back together.

Broken wafers can be identified by looking for wafers that appear to be two parts, wafers are single piece in each slot. Remove the broken wafers and the springs in the wafer slot. You can test it by putting the key in and look for wafers that still extend out from the body of the cylinder. Any wafers that still extend from the body of the cylinder will prevent the cylinder from turning in the switch body.

When all the broken wafers have been removed slide the cylinder into the switch body (make sure the steering column lock pin is in place), attach the "C" clip and test key insertion and freely rotating cylinder. If all is good, place the cover on the switch body and realign the blind pin holder by squeezing with a pair of channel lock pliers.

I’m not a technical writer so hopefully you were able to follow this…
jrh69ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View Gibby84's Photo Gallery
Helpful but what if you can't get your key to turn to Accessory. As well I have noticed that my Steering wheel does not lock in place. I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 2.4 4Cyl 2 Wheel drive where the ignition is on the dash not the steering column.
Gibby84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.5–2004)