Cost Of Replacing Ball Joints? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Cost Of Replacing Ball Joints?

Does anyone know the average cost of replacing the upper and lower ball joints and the inner/outer tie rods? I have the parts I just need to know the average cost for the labor. Also, should the bearings be replaced in the front hub assembly during this time or just the oil seals. The bearings seem to be good. How much would it cost if I had to do the bearings? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPTHANG View Post
Does anyone know the average cost of replacing the upper and lower ball joints and the inner/outer tie rods? I have the parts I just need to know the average cost for the labor. Also, should the bearings be replaced in the front hub assembly during this time or just the oil seals. The bearings seem to be good. How much would it cost if I had to do the bearings? Thanks
really the ball joints and inner and outer rod ends aren't that difficult to do. don't know the price of having them replaced, but you do not need to mess with the bearings unless they are making noise or are wobbly. They are sealed and usually last the life of the vehicle, they essentially explode the old bearings out of the spindle to put in new ones.
#3 Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Official TN Member

Bearings are cheap maybe $25 for both inner and outer and thats on the high end.
#4 Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
USA

Thanks for the input guys. I have a baby girl on the way in April and wanted to have the ball joints replaced before then. I don't have the time to attempt them myself and I would have to borrow or rent some of the tools for the job. I was trying to find out the general cost if someone else has had them replaced by a mechanic so, there won't be any surprises.
#5 Old 07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
... you do not need to mess with the bearings unless they are making noise or are wobbly. They are sealed and usually last the life of the vehicle, they essentially explode the old bearings out of the spindle to put in new ones.
My factory maintenance book instructs to lubricate the wheel bearings every 30k miles or 2 years. Dealer said lubricate means clean and repack. Im at 41k miles and have not yea done it and am not sure if I should. I dont want to shorten the life.
#6 Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmars View Post
My factory maintenance book instructs to lubricate the wheel bearings every 30k miles or 2 years. Dealer said lubricate means clean and repack. Im at 41k miles and have not yea done it and am not sure if I should. I dont want to shorten the life.
for the pre-runner and 4x4 type truck the bearings are sealed. for the true 2 wheel drive short trucks the spindles are different where you can take the bearings out. Two different types of setups.

2wd
http://www.*******.com

4wd
http://www.*******.com/

doing the service you are mentioning is easy, just time consuming. look at the link

Last edited by TrailDust; 03-13-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: FSM links deleted. Member sent PM.
#7 Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
...true 2 wheel drive short trucks the spindles are different where you can take the bearings out. Two different types of setups.

2wd
http://www.*******.com/

doing the service you are mentioning is easy, just time consuming. look at the link
Thanks. What do you mean by true 2wd short trucks? I m base tacoma, the least expensive tacoma no options, except AC. I dont off road and live in FL. There are three different maintenance levels in the book, severe use and all that. All three call for every 30k or 2 yr. That I dont understand. I like to follow the recomended, but i really dont think this maintenance schedule is well thought out. Example is that my fuel filter, trans and diff oil, brake and clutch fluid never require changing according to the book. I have never seen a vehicle that requires wheel bearings cleaned so often, but to be safe, I supose I should.

Last edited by TrailDust; 03-13-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: FSM link edited
#8 Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Thanks. What do you mean by true 2wd short trucks? I m base tacoma, the least expensive tacoma no options, except AC. I dont off road and live in FL. There are three different maintenance levels in the book, severe use and all that. All three call for every 30k or 2 yr. That I dont understand. I like to follow the recomended, but i really dont think this maintenance schedule is well thought out. Example is that my fuel filter, trans and diff oil, brake and clutch fluid never require changing according to the book. I have never seen a vehicle that requires wheel bearings cleaned so often, but to be safe, I supose I should.
that is the non pre-runner type with the 2.4l engine.
#9 Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
New TN User

hosemaster, what's your thoughts on this? ball joints
#10 Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
hosemaster, what's your thoughts on this? ball joints

all of my ball joints have seeped grease out of them. Uppers are at 150k, lowers are 80k.
#11 Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM
New TN User

Are they the sealed type? Sorry I forgot to say that. I have never seen sealed units leaking. And now I learn that there was a recall to replace the lower BJ and not only was I not informed, but i was also at the dealer service for warranty work and they did not check VIN.
#12 Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Are they the sealed type? Sorry I forgot to say that. I have never seen sealed units leaking. And now I learn that there was a recall to replace the lower BJ and not only was I not informed, but i was also at the dealer service for warranty work and they did not check VIN.
they are sealed, no zerk fittings. They will ooze grease, they aren't air tight. If your truck qualifies for the lower ball joint recall and you are the original owner they have to replace them. My uppers are original from when i bought my truck in 01.
#13 Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Official TN Member

Mine fit into the recall & Toyota replaced them at no cost to me except for the 10 mile bike ride to work & back to the dealer to pick up the truck!

Everyday you wake up on the grass side of the dirt is a good one!

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)