Valve Adjustment 3.4 V6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)

1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Mootsman's Photo Gallery
Valve Adjustment 3.4 V6

I see that Toyota says that the valves on the 3.4L V6 should be checked, and adjusted if necessary, every 30K miles. Given that it is a very involved process, and that you need some special tools as well as shims, I'm wondering how often any of you actually do it, or have it done.

If you have checked them at 30,000, how many needed adjustment? The truck i just bought has 60,000 on it, and I don't have any service records. The truck seems to have been well maintained, but I am wondering if I should set up an appointment to have the valves adjusted.
Mootsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Gameroom cash: $1497714
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View humanoid's Photo Gallery
When I had my V6 Taco, it had over 140K on the clock when I sold it, never had the valves checked or adjusted. Where did you read that they needed to be adjusted? I always thought they never needed adjustment. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View robiewp's Photo Gallery
My 3.4 V6 has 220K on it and the valves have never been adjusted. I have good power, no white smoke, and no valve noises... But as they've never been adjusted I can't say how far out they tend, only that they are not so badly out as to cause the aforementioned symptoms.

I'm curious what others say on the issue too, especially those who know how far out the valves were at adjustment - but you're not going to hurt anything if there aren't outward signs of trouble.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for the responses. Where I live, every other vehicle is some kind of Toyota truck, the other half are Subaru Outbacks - we now have both. I don't know anyone that has ever had the valves adjusted on this engine, but my Haynes manual says check and adjust every 30,000 miles.

I was surprised because my Outback only requires every 100,000 miles. I have a friend who is the only machinist in this valley. He says he has NEVER seen a problem of any kind with a head from a 3.4, but has seen lots of burned exhaust valves from 3.0's.

Someone here probably has an FSM, and could get the maintenance schedule from it. Haynes is not all that reliable. I would still be interested to hear of other's thoughts and experiences with this. I am not experiencing any problems at all, I just don't want to neglect any important maintenance issues.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View sajee's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsman View Post

Someone here probably has an FSM, and could get the maintenance schedule from it.

You can download the FSM from

Its a good idea to check it if you ever going to replace leaking valve cover gasket but other than that it should be fine unless you hear valve noise. It is a big process to get to on the 5VZ engine, so unless you are tearing down this area, I would just drive the truck.

My truck has 175K and I am sure it has never checked it either.

Last edited by TrailDust; 08-16-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Service manual link deleted.
sajee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Joe

View hilux5084's Photo Gallery
Australia

When you are requested to check valve adjustment this is an audable check which needs a trained ear sometimes, the covers only come off if needed.

Joe
hilux5084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Interesting - I just received a complete 2002 Toyota Tacoma owners manual package. It has a scheduled maintenance book with it, and there is no mention of valve adjustment anywhere. Not at 30,000 or any other milage up through 120,000. It shows timing belt replacement at 90,000, and everything else you would expect. Almost makes me wonder if these are actually hydraulic valve lifters that never need to be adjusted, or if they are shim and bucket. Anyway, not gonna worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)