Undercoating thoughts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Undercoating thoughts

Here's a generally wandering collection of a few thoughts regarding the warranty undercoating process.

1. I have to believe that prep will play a part, just like when painting. I used a 3000 PSI pressure washer nozzle to blast a bunch of rust off the outside of my frame. I do have some pitting. I found holes in the frame (the ones that are supposed to be there!!) to at least shoot some water in there, and there are enough rust flakes inside there to clog the rear drain hole. How can I get that stuff out? A magnet?? Air hose?

2. I have a case number with Toyota. It turns out there's some legalese (I suspect) in the difference between a recall and customer support. If this was a recall, I could go to any dealer and get it done. Since it's "support", I hope it's at dealer discretion whether to undercoat an out-of-state auto. Since it's EPA and state fire marshall approved, is it illegal for a dealer to do an out of state auto? Since I've seen the date Oct 2010 in letters to other owners as the deadline to get the undercoating or lose the warranty, it's catch-22 for me if I have the same deadline but no dealer to take it to. I'll pose those questions to my case manager.

3. It sure seems likely that Tectyl is the product they apply, but I don't know any details as to its performance. According to a chart I found, loads of companies use the Tectyl line, from Boeing to Mercedes Benz. Here's a clip out of the chart.

TECTYL Product Toyota Specification Remarks
TECTYL 552 YU-8569004-T552 Undercoating
TECTYL 553 YU-855690005-T553 Cavity Wax
TECTYL 609 YU-85690014-T609 Hinge Seam Wax
TECTYL 633 YU-8569001-T633 Engine Compartment Wax

I'd have to believe that having it applied would be hugely more beneficial than not having it applied.

4. I saw an incredibly coincidental program with rust as the subject matter the other night. It reminded me (and terrified me) that the more something rusts, the faster it rusts! I know you guys all know that, but it helps me reconcile that maybe my frame didn't look *that* bad last year. So I really want this done this summer in good, dry weather before winter comes.

Thanks for listening,
Greg

Greg Bell, Dayton, Ohio
2002 Tacoma SR5 4WD V6, 72k Miles
A.R.E. Cap, Mich LTX M/S
Dealer undercoating 8/2010
FastTrac FT461 trailer, 150lbs tongue weight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Personally and in my opinion, i would just go trade the truck in if i were worried about frame rust and the dealer wouldn't swap the frame free of charge and if they say that the frame isn't that bad, then i'd come back with "ok then, i'd like to trade my truck for a used truck from your lot" that way, they can deal with it themselves and I'd bet they will find a way to fix that rust and include it under toyota's frame recall when it is their A$$ on the line...

good luck man.... i sure wouldn't go though the undercoating process alone.

2002 Impulse Red Pearl Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 v6 S/C 195,000 miles and counting!!!

Favorite Beer - Blue Moon
#3 Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
'Yer crackin' me up, man! This does combine some huge phobias of mine. Mechanical stuff, untestable product claims, auto dealers and monolithic corporate structures.

As far as a new vehicle goes, it takes me two years to figure out how to set the clock... But I'll figure out how to work your line into the discussion!!

My best guitar amp is 1964. My best guitar I bought new in 78. My motorcycle is BMW 1983. If there was ever a "buy and hold" kind of guy, it's me.

Greg Bell, Dayton, Ohio
A.R.E. Cap, Mich LTX M/S

Last edited by JGB58; 08-26-2010 at 04:38 AM.
#4 Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
New TN User

Toyota moved the deadline to Dec 31 2010, luckily, being that i was out of state and didnt get the first letter they sent me. Did you get your's coated? If so.. is their anything i should know before i take mine in? how long did it take them? any feed back regarding your experience would be greatly appreciated!
#5 Old 12-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-Taco View Post
Toyota moved the deadline to Dec 31 2010, luckily, being that i was out of state and didnt get the first letter they sent me. Did you get your's coated? If so.. is their anything i should know before i take mine in? how long did it take them? any feed back regarding your experience would be greatly appreciated!
I called a lot of dealers before I found one that was fluent with the problem/process. They had done a few hundred. I dropped it off in the afternoon and picked it up the next afternoon. There's a lot of dripping for a long time (a week minimum).

I would have preferred it applied a little thicker, but I'm under warranty until 2017, so that's cool. I put some additional gibberish in another post.
Undercoating in Ohio deadline 10/31/2010

This stuff is going to rub off on your clothes FOREVER. You can also expose metal again with jack stands and stuff, so I ought to find a spray can of some product for touch-up. I'm glad I got it done.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Bell, Dayton, Ohio
A.R.E. Cap, Mich LTX M/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)