Toyota Nation Forum banner

01 Tacoma shifting problems

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  stuffie101 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 2.7ltr 4x4 5 speed tacoma (115kmiles) that recently started having shifting problems in 3rd and 4th gear. The shifter doesnt seem to engage all the way into the slot (feels like about 1/2 way). occasionally it wont engage at all and the gears clash.

any suggestions?

#3 ·
This forum rocks! Thanks for all the help!:headbang:
Yo I hate this forum too. Usually if you get a reply its you the search button! I hate that. People just dont want to communicate anymore even if it means sharing the same info over and over with new people.

Anyways,... im not all that super inclined with mechanics but some obvious to me would be:

You changed your tranny fluid regularly?

You grind gears a lot?

You youo have the shift in half way does the tranny grind or does it drive and the shifter doesnt just stay in?

Have to you tried with the truck running and driving AND with the truck off?

Im tryign to figureout if your shifter is going in at all or halfway. I would think if your shifter went halfway as you said the truck would maybe grind.

If the shifter doesnt go in at all it could be the synchros for those gears. I had a synchro on my tranny go that made it hard to shift to first gear. I had to work the clutch and spin the egine to get it in. Forcing it.

Im not much help but maybe this will clear this up some for the others who might be watching. Sorry. If you find a new toyo forum thats good please let me know:)

#4 ·
^You shouldn't be surprised that people don't want to share the same thing over and over, that's why the search function and stickies exist. The Tacoma and Pickup forums are actually some of the highest traffic boards here on TN.

To the op: Are you on the original clutch?

Perhaps the clutch has gone out of adjustment and isn't fully disengaging.

#8 ·
^You shouldn't be surprised that people don't want to share the same thing over and over, that's why the search function and stickies exist. The Tacoma and Pickup forums are actually some of the highest traffic boards here on TN.

To the op: Are you on the original clutch?

Perhaps the clutch has gone out of adjustment and isn't fully disengaging.
TN would be more active if everyone would consider the search button as an option as oppose to something thats mandatory. Sometimes people just want to "talk" with others about there problems. the problem is that no one has patience for each other anymore. This is not the only autoforum I belong to. the other one people actually talk and discuss the problems that need attention. We help other out other than USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!!

#5 ·
My truck has the same problem, but I get it more in 1st and 2nd gear. I have fight to get it into gear at every stop. I just bought a clutch kit & flywheel, and I'm hoping it fixes the problem. Putting it in this weekend, I have a 97 4x4 2.7l Reg cab with 133k on the original clutch. I bought the clutch from advanced autos

I searched this forums and found how to do some clutch adjustments. None of them helped at all. Put all new fluids it, bleed it correctly, wouldn't go into gear smoothly.

I hope its not the synchros though, I never thought about that?? But it sounds like the clutch may be wearing out. Just my two cents

#7 ·
... I have a 97 4x4 2.7l Reg cab with 133k on the original clutch.
That's your problem right there. Just make sure you get the new clutch installed and aligned correctly.

#6 ·
Sounds like a worn clutch to me as well. As these are hydraulic not cable clutches, there's not a lot of adjustment you can do to squeeze more life out of them, but sometimes if the clutch isn't fully disengaging you can adjust the pedal height and help the problem a bit. But may not be the case with this specific issue...

#14 · (Edited)
If you are replacing the clutch to alleviate this problem, don't forget the pilot bearing in the flywheel. If it is not up to the job, the drag will spin the input shaft of the gearbox, leaving you with funky shifting. Moreso getting into first from neutral or a dead stop.

Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel resurfacing and pilot bearing. Do the entire job, or you may end up tearing it apart (or paying someone else to!) again.

Personally, I like this forum. Even with the asshats that show up occasionally.

#15 · (Edited)
Judging by your description the clutch has NOTHING to do with your problem. I suspect a deteriorated shifter seat bushing. You need to remove the shifter. If you see the bushing is all broken up that is your problem. Replace the small plastic bushing as well. Your parts guy will not find a listing for tacoma. Tell him to check 86 pickup. They are identical.
Your clutch may be worn out as well but it actually wouldn't give any problem going into gear. If the disc came apare ALL the gears would have issues. If the hydraulics were bad all gears again. Synchro's? Maybe but 3rd is unusual and unless you are beating on it these trannies are durable. Adjustments? What adjustments? The only adjustment available is for the pedal height.
My advice is the difference between actually working on these for 25 years as a professional and perhaps fixing 1 or 2 in your driveway.
And BTW I just saw your post today.

#16 ·
My advice is the difference between actually working on these for 25 years as a professional and perhaps fixing 1 or 2 in your driveway.
People just dont want to communicate anymore even if it means sharing the same info over and over with new people.
Or they don't want to offer ideas for fear of getting flamed by a "professional".

I'd agree, the problem sounds more like linkage.

Then, again, I've only worked on one or two of these in my driveway. What would I know?

#17 · (Edited)
Here is a part number for you 33505-35020-total cost about 13.00.

Well I am not up on all the internet jargon so I am assuming flamed means being critical. The comment wasn't personal toward your post as you are the only one who offered decent advice.
Now just think about this for a minute; I have given free advice here for quite a while now. I have been told I do not know what I am talking about by several individuals who hide behind the anominity of the internet. I find that rather incredible as I am a former MDT. It is quite annoying to say the least. I have never even received a thank you from ANY individual who's problem I helped with. Top that with the posters frustration and comment I made mine. So I guess you are right in your analogy and in the future I will try to be more sensitive.

BTW, I have used your last line many times here.

#18 · (Edited)
As far as the shifter seat the best source is Marlin Crawler for an upgraded plastic seat. He markets these for the 95 and older trucks but, according to ^this guy it fits the Taco as well. Good to know.

The shifter seat being blown to bits is often the cause of sloppy shifters that have a lot of play. I have plenty of slop when it's in gear and the transmission also really slams going into first gear. I have the marlin seat in the mail, and I'm sure it'll tighten up all the excessive play, and now I'll also be interested to see if it softens up that hard shifting as well. Since my clutch is pretty well worn out I think a little check of the pedal height/freeplay is in order just to verify for myself that the clutch is fully disengaging without a problem. I'll probably get the part by Friday, I'll let you guys know how it does. :D

#19 · (Edited)
Welp I just put in my clutch kit, and new flywheel. I bought them from Advanced autos, the clutch kit was 233, and the flywheel was 70 bucks.

When I finally got the transmission out, I found out that my throw out bearing was broken, and the springs in my clutch were worn out. My flywheel had some nice grooves worn in it too. Installed the new clutch and flywheel and put it all back together. Feels like a new truck!

You guys ever notice how heavy duty the U-joints are in these tacomas? My dad drives a 2002 ford F-150 and I compared the two U joints and F 150 had smaller U joints!! Thats a 5.7l compared to a 2.7l. This was nice to find out!

I had to remove the shifter, and the part you mentioned "part number for you 33505-35020" was fine but thanks everybody for the advice.

#21 ·
Came across this thread trying to find a solution to my truck problem, and I am joining the site just to thank the MDT above. My '01 Tacoma (5spd, 2.7L, 130K) had the exact same problem happening over the weekend after I was towing some stuff around a field. Given his advice, I took apart the shifter and in fact it the bushing was busted. The lower plastic one is still good but i went ahead and ordered one to have fresh parts....total price of $40 for both. I thought it was clutch or transmission related and probably would have gotten worked over taking it to a mechanic and replaced clutch/tranny, etc. I would never have thought of the bushing without his post. Listen to MDT! Much obliged!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.