New TN User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Issues
About two weeks ago my power steering assist stopped working. I ordered a replacement part from Autozone and this weekend I installed it. I removed the old one and installed the rebuilt one from Autozone. I decided to flush the fluid since it looked pretty dirty (my truck has 334K miles) as it looks blackish.
To flush the power steering fluid, I followed the directions that were included in the rebuilt power steering pump. I did this by the following:
1) First, I drained as much fluid from the reservoir using syringe (without the needle).
2) Disconnected the line from the reservoir and plugged the line.
3) I plugged the flange the line was connected to.
4) Disconnected the other side of the line from the metal line and replaced it with a longer line so it would reach a container on the ground to capture the fluid during the flush.
5) Using a 3.5 ton jack I lifted the front of the truck up such that the tires were off the ground.
6) I filled the reservoir with new power steering fluid.
7) I started the truck and a bit of fluid began to come out of the return line into the container.
8) I started turning the wheel from left to right several times then checked the power steering fluid level.
9) I turned the wheel to the right and to the left for a good 15 minutes all the while checking the reservoir to make sure the reservoir didn't run low.
After a bit of time, no more fluid would come out. I only captured about 20 fluid oz, which didn't seem like a lot to me. Plus, as I turned the steering wheel from the left to the right and vice versa no more fluid would come out of the line.
Now, after putting every back together, my steering is still unassisted. The rebuilt power steering pump is making some noise as it wasn't there until I put on the new part. I am thinking the rebuilt pump is bad, but I have the following questions.
1) How likely is it that the rebuilt power steering pump is bad?
2) If the problem isn't the power steering pump, what else might it be?
Any help in determining the issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and regards,