Toyota Nation Forum banner

key will not turn to off position in park

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SFCamry 
#1 ·
Hello, my fellow Tacoma fans.

Ok, I have a 2000, V6, Auto, TRD, Sr5 Extra cab. With 232,500 miles.

Sometimes when I put her in park I cannot get the key out of the ignition.

She has had no tranny work or adjustments. Shifter seems to have more play in it than usual.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Does it come out after cramming it farther into park? If so, the bushings need replacement, as they are poly bushings on the shifter.

#6 ·
Could be the key is worn out. Do you have a second key to test with?

Also, I've heard people say that key rings loaded with keys will put excess weight on the ignition switch causing it to wear out. Does this apply in your case?

You might also try a "lock lubricant" in the key hole. Maybe part of the mechanism is sticking. I can't recommend a certain type, but look for one that is safe on ignition switches. You don't want to use any old spray lubricant (like WD-40) that can attract dust/dirt or become gummy -- that would make the lock mechanism stick more.

#8 ·
The exact same thing was happening to my daughter's CRV. I went to a junk yard and removed the ignition cylinder and all door lock cylinders from a crashed one, then replaced them all in her car. Had the dealer cut new keys based off the VIN from the junker. Fixed her problem right up. The cost of a new ignition cyl for her car was like $125 - got the junker one for $8. If yours is doing what I think it is, you will wind up needing a new cylinder. I would hit the junk yards and get one from a junker, as well as pull the lock cylinders from the front doors. Write down the VIN, swap everything out in yours, then have a dealer cut you a set of keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.