Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota called out over odometers that won't cross 299,999 km

51K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BMR 
#1 ·
http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/news/toyota-called-out-over-odometers-that-wont-cross-299-999-km
Glitch in digital gauges affects several models from automaker

Toyota is sticking some of its owners with a $500 bill to replace their odometers to fix a glitch that prevents the instrument from rolling over 300,000 km, reports CTV News.

The Japanese automaker is apparently aware some of its odometers seem to get stuck when they hit either 299,999 kilometres or miles, but has simply been instructing owners to get new ones and to document the switch over to the new zero-km instrument.

The glitch has been known to affect model year 2003 through 2008 Matrix and Corolla cars, as well as 2004 and 2005 model year Prius hybrids.

A working odometer is required by law in most provinces, and at least one owner CTV News spoke to says he refuses to pay $500 for a defect built into the car; since his 2007 Corolla hit 299,999 km (about 186,000 miles) he’s been keeping track of his mileage by hand.

Used car buyers considering purchasing these models should be wary of the odometer readings on prospective buys, particularly if it seems suspiciously low for the condition of the car.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/08/toyota-wants-500-canadian-owners-fix-odometers-video/
http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2536639

#3 ·
I think the government should force a recall if the government requires them to go over that mileage. Otherwise, the government was accepting that Toyota was selling cars knowing these don't have the capability of reporting miles that high. My opinion anyway.

Reactions: Barbette
#5 ·
#6 ·
Horse is dead.

But it is a bit of a gray area.

Most 1970's cars only had a 5-digit odometer. However, that is valid for the laws that require a working odometer - it still works, you just have no way of knowing if the car as 45K miles, 145K miles, 245K miles, etc.

Then again - the burden of the law is on the owner. i.e. the law states the car must have a working odometer, working headlights, working turn signals, etc. If Toyota decides that the turn signals will only work for 50K miles and then you get a warning at 45K miles and have to buy new turn signals - I think they can legally do that. They should disclose that somewhere, and the issue I have with the Corolla is that if the odometer shows six-digits, it would be expected that it would work to 999,999 miles (km) and probably beyond. I would have less issue if it rolled over at 300K miles/kilometers, and really zero issue if they sold the car with a statement in the owner's manual that "The odometer will freeze when you reach 299,999 miles", but I'm not sure Toyota knew that.

This could be an issue for states with smog, where the car is exempt when it is 25 years old.
Huh - it's not even related. The 2003 Corolla would be smog exempt in 2029. Doesn't matter if it has 100K miles on the odometer, 10K miles on the original odometer, or 10K miles on a replacement odometer, or if it has 299,999 miles on the odometer and has had that mileage for the past 10-years.

It is an issue for the seller with CarFax records and potentially an issue for safety inspections - although I don't know that any of them make you drive the car for a mile to make sure the odometer changes over.

And it could be an issue for smog states if any of them have an exemption above a certain mileage - i.e. if the state law says cars above 150K don't have to meet smog, how do you prove that your car had the odometer replaced 10K miles ago and your car REALLY has 310K miles on it.

#9 ·
Horse is dead.

But it is a bit of a gray area.

Most 1970's cars only had a 5-digit odometer. However, that is valid for the laws that require a working odometer - it still works, you just have no way of knowing if the car as 45K miles, 145K miles, 245K miles, etc.

Then again - the burden of the law is on the owner. i.e. the law states the car must have a working odometer, working headlights, working turn signals, etc. If Toyota decides that the turn signals will only work for 50K miles and then you get a warning at 45K miles and have to buy new turn signals - I think they can legally do that. They should disclose that somewhere, and the issue I have with the Corolla is that if the odometer shows six-digits, it would be expected that it would work to 999,999 miles (km) and probably beyond. I would have less issue if it rolled over at 300K miles/kilometers, and really zero issue if they sold the car with a statement in the owner's manual that "The odometer will freeze when you reach 299,999 miles", but I'm not sure Toyota knew that.

Huh - it's not even related. The 2003 Corolla would be smog exempt in 2029. Doesn't matter if it has 100K miles on the odometer, 10K miles on the original odometer, or 10K miles on a replacement odometer, or if it has 299,999 miles on the odometer and has had that mileage for the past 10-years.

It is an issue for the seller with CarFax records and potentially an issue for safety inspections - although I don't know that any of them make you drive the car for a mile to make sure the odometer changes over.

And it could be an issue for smog states if any of them have an exemption above a certain mileage - i.e. if the state law says cars above 150K don't have to meet smog, how do you prove that your car had the odometer replaced 10K miles ago and your car REALLY has 310K miles on it.
Good point.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would tell Toyota to go **** themselves if they were charging me to have this problem fixed. If the law will force me to spend my own money to fix a problem that is clearly due to Toyota's incompetence... it would be my last Toyota. This is such bullshit. Just give the programming code to a beginner computer science student and they can fix it in minutes.

#13 ·
Reactions: gold94corolla
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.