Toyota Nation Forum banner

April 2016: Civic beats Camry for #1 selling car

1K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  cuisinartvette 
#1 ·

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/05/usa-20-best-selling-cars-april-2016-sales-stats.html
The Honda Civic, thanks to a 25% year-over-year U.S. sales increase, was America's best-selling car in April 2016.

America's perennial favourite, the Toyota Camry, was nearly 1300 sales abaft. Another Toyota, the Civic's prime competitor, stepped into the third position ahead of another surging Honda, the Camry's prime competitor.

The list of America's 20 best-selling cars in April 2016 is very much a mixed bag. Sterling improvements from the Civic, Accord, Nissan Altima, Chevrolet Malibu, Hyundai Accent, Mazda 3, and Kia Forte impressed. But on the other side, the Ford Fusion, Ford Focus, Hyundai Sonata, Chevrolet Cruze, Hyundai Elantra, and Kia Optima all posted double-digit percentage losses.

The Civic's victory, however, was not entirely unexpected. Though challenging the Camry is not a poor man's business, the Civic was making headway throughout the first-quarter of 2016 thanks to the arrival of a new, tenth-generation sedan. Now with a new coupe in showrooms, as well, the Civic enters May "only" 7649 sales behind the Camry on year-to-date terms.

Not since 2001 has any car other than the Camry been America's top-selling car over the course of a calendar year. That car? Honda's Accord, the Civic's big brother.

Historical monthly and yearly sales figures for any of these best-selling cars can always be accessed through the dropdown menu at GCBC's Sales Stats page, and for those not viewing the mobile version of this site, near the top right of this page, as well. GoodCarBadCar has already published the list of America's best-selling trucks and best-selling SUVs in April 2016.
I believe it...I've started to see a lot more of the new polarizing Civics on the street.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not surprised, as I said two months ago this would happen soon. Toyota has sat on their laurels too long, and folks want better option packages and don't want ugly vehicles. The Camry will keep the crown another two years or so, but then it'll be a free-for-all unless Toyota decides to listen to their customers for a change.

#14 ·
I like toyota cars the engines are bullet proof and I have seen them hold up more than older hondas but, tbh I wish i bought the new civic compared to my 2016 corolla. The new civic is just a better bang for your buck and its fit and finish is great. The new accord blows the new camry. The new camry downgraded with tailights, 2 generations ago they offered LED taillights, its just small things a lot of people notice. Also toyota needs to up the power on the corolla and camry most of the competitors offer more power. Regardless I still like toyota but they need to up their game

Reactions: canddmeyer
#21 · (Edited)
Nah the Corolla is a far better looking car than the cartoonish Echo. Echos are ugly, the Corolla is a fairly sharp looking car, IMHO.

Were the Civic not so overstyled (seems to be the new styling trend), I'd say its proportions are fairly handsome but not to the point of being pretty. I'd call the Corolla a better car from a holistic styling perspective.

#22 ·
Okay, I was lazy, I didn't even look up a picture of the modern Civic. I just know the 2013 looked like a compromise on beauty for aerodynamics.

At least the angle that Toyota shoots the new Corolla, it looks like a similar flow to the Echo or maybe better said Yaris to me. Better proportions, but very similar look, just from my point of view of course.

They're looks, it's all subjective of course, lol.

OK, a few moments later from Google and it was just a terrible angle for the soccer ball commercial where the ball hangs there and waits for him to kick it. Not like the Yaris or Echo at all (except from that angle).

The new Civic is nearly as ugly as it was in 2013. It bridges from it's previous look to something better, without fully letting go of it's history.

#24 ·
Drove both the new civic and corolla wanted to like the civic but couldnt wow what a pile. Road noise like no tomorrow hated the cvt. Thought the toy looked better esp inside. Mixed on the Camry/Accord V6 only got to drive the 4cy Accord. Just not for me felt way too cheap for the money rather have a much older one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.