Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota FT86 Shooting Brake

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I like the 86/FRS/BRZ but wagons should have utility. I think Shooting Brake designs are dumb. I'm not a fan of really any of them.

#9 ·
I like this but I have visibility concerns which is what convinced me to not buy a Veloster. Those windows are narrow! Too bad there is no way to make a useful third door for loading stuff into the back seat like a Veloster, that'd be helpful. I think the outrage over it is kind of funny, considering how the line between hatch back and wagon on this is kind of fuzzy IMO, mostly coming down to the slope of the rear window/hatch.

#10 ·
I wish Toyota would put in a turbo engine in FR-S (Now 86), instead of coming up with a nonsense body version.

People are screaming for more power but Toyota gives them more trunk space?

Reactions: got-rice
#11 ·
I'm pretty sure the sales they lost due to the car not being practical enough for people like me are such a minority that it doesn't matter in the macro pictures of their sales. I love wagons/hatches but even I can agree that more power would get more sales than this variant.

#12 · (Edited)
the car lost sales because they didn't do anything to keep the crowd excited. It took them 10 years to release it, then hoped it would ride those coat tails without any changes. I like the look of the FRS/GT86/BRZ/whatever you want to call it.

The changes they've made..... it's terrible.

It's like they tried to cram the back 3 feet of a prius into 10" of space.... it just looks awful, and the size of the rear bumper and height of the tail lights is just wrong. Re-looking at the photos, it looks like some lowered car smashed into the back, pushing everything upwards and they went "HEY, THAT'S A GREAT LOOK!"

If they wanted to make a distinguished changed - they should have taken a thought from their own past - make a coupe and make a fastback....

The ae86 wasn't a new design for them either - it took the looks/features of the Celica and Celica Supra (and then Supra). The Celica was also offered as coupe and hatch models back then..... they were and in many ways are still successful for a reason.

This is on the verge of being an Accord Crosstour.... or Pontiac Aztec... one of those "what the fuck were they thinking?" designs....

#13 ·
Just to add - Toyota doesn't always get it right, and I don't just think that "older is better". Google TE51 (corolla) and look at the variances - they had a "shooting brake" silly/ugly edition as well... but that isn't the TE51 that people love. In fact, it was one of the heaviest corolla's made pre ae102 and is almost a "I don't want that" type of old school Toyota.... (no, I wouldn't ever buy one.... or take one if given to me).

#14 ·
I think it looks good (the real life pics look much better than the stock photos), I just think they are dumb vehicles. None of the utility of the wagon with reductions in driving performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.