Toyota Nation Forum banner

What would you do in my shoes?

865 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  NAToyota 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking to the forum members to get some feedback on my dilemma.

In early November 2016 I purchased a 2013 Toyota Venza V6 Limited edition from a Honda dealership, which received the car as a trade in for a Honda Odyssey.

At time of purchase the car had 63,000km or 40k miles, the 3 year warranty had just expired, however it still has a 5 year powertrain warranty. Now for some context, we’ve had a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR in our family since brand new, and it has been by far the most reliable vehicle we’ve ever owned. It was my wife’s car originally, but with a newborn we decided to get something that would hopefully be as reliable as the matrix, but with a little more space, here comes the Venza and I now drive the Matrix.

The dealership did the rotors/pads for it pass safety, I bought the car and took it home. There were no issues, however on the same drive back I drove through a bumpy backroad and the venza felt like crap. I drive this same stretch of road with our Matrix and our other cars and nothing felt as loose as the venza. I thought to myself it may be the 20” wheels as that’s a common complaint I read by reviewers of the Venza.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I put my winter tires on, since my wife drives the car I didn’t realize that the looseness continued. The same stretch of road with now 17” wheels felt exactly the same.

Last weekend I decided to deep dive into the front suspension while doing the oil change and swapping over to the summer wheels and I noticed the struts were leaking on both front sides. The top part of the strut was fully rusted and while fully extended the dust cover doesn’t even protect it.

I went on to read on this same forum that this was a common issue with the Camry, which makes no sense. A strut shouldn’t fail within 3-4 years of production. We’ve put 4,000km since we bought the car so it’s not even that much driving.

I’ve contacted the Honda dealer and told them the issue, I truly believe they certified the car with leaking strusts, maybe they didn’t notice, maybe they knew and were hoping I wouldn’t realize it. I really hope it's not the latter. Regardless it’s now almost 5 months since purchase and I highly doubt they will help me out in any way. The sales person said they would look into it and get back to me (this was today).

The bigger underlying issue is that as a long time Toyota customer this is unacceptable, not for a leaking strut on a 3 year old car that’s out of warranty.

Before getting emotionally invested in bringing this up with Toyota Canada, is this even worth the time and effort? I know it’s one of those things where you never know until you try, but with a newborn and everything that comes with that I am ready to just replace all four struts and call it a day. However that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth after having a fantastic Matrix for over a decade.

Do you think this is worth bringing up to Toyota Canada? If so, how would you go about it?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Being a safety issue I doubt I'd have the patience to wait on any corporate or Gov. help! I'd replace them and then keep the old struts and invoices and start filing complaints with pics, invoices an detailed descritons and SAFETY concerns since you want to protect your WIFE and FAMILY! Does Canada have a Consumer Protection Office? How about a local TV Station that helps consumers. Contact Both Toyota and Honda at levels above the dealer level. I'd be professional, look up required inspections for resale a car and read what Honda said they did and describe in each Complaint whay you feel it was not done properly. Be willing to compromise. Tell them, if you get to negotiating that YOU had to replace them to Protect your Family and they should cover at least the labor . Like you said, Never know til ya try. TV and Social Media is very powerful!
Good Luck!

#3 ·
In this instance, Toyota is out of the picture. Your beef will be with the Honda dealer. Why? You bought the car used, and are not the original owner. Original owner probably was at the end of their lease and/or may have known of this issue and decided to trade it for something else, in this case, the Odyssey. I hope you have all your records regarding the sale and that the dealer and you can come to an agreement that will be fair for all. Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
Finally a member from the big smoke.
Ok heres how it legally works. Your safety is valid for 28 days to get your plates yet carries zero warranty except for the date it was inspected. So one week later its no good. You bought a used vehicle with known issues on the brake pads did you negotiate the repairs or did honda dealer do it only to pass safety? If you took a discount on price in any way because of the repairs honda owes you no implied warranty. 5 weeks and 4k is a lot of clicks to be honest especially on the potholes tory calls roads we drive in my struts last maybe 70k if im lucky. Either way since you did not negotiate the parts and type of repairs they used the cheapest parts available. Expect issues with them down the road. Also you trusted a honda mechanic who wants to sell you cars always a good idea to take it to someone you trust for a 2nd opinion deping what part of toronto you live in i also know many awesome mechanics who will not rob you.

Thats the bad news.

The good news is you joined toyotanation and i love to help local folk save a bunch and get quality stuff. If your willing to do the work yourself i can put you in touch with the distributor of toyota parts for the dealers in the gta. Really great guy but has to done in private conversation im not allowed to post in open forums. Honestly in your shoes id just buy the parts toss them on and consider it lesson learned trust no one. Private message me if you are interested and give me your location if you need a good mechanic.

#5 ·
I have always come across a popular opinion that 101 or 1001 pre-owned certified inspection points, etc are mostly lame...or marketing to tickle our ears and hearts as potential consumers. So any pre-owned car I buy has to be inspected by my guy, not withstanding what the dealer says. My 2cts. As for your situation ... don't lose this lesson.

#6 ·
I'm assuming that you grabbed the top of the tire and tested for play in the strut?

If it were me I'd go get some good quality struts and just replace. I doubt that after 3 months even though you put such little mileage on the Venza that the Honda dealer will do anything. At least don't expect much from the Honda dealer. Then if something good does happen with the Honda dealer you'll be happy. Depending on how far out of warranty you could talk to the Toyota dealer that you bought the Matrix from. If your on good terms he might be able to do some thing for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.