HiAce in the USA? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
General Discussion General discussion of basically anything automotive-related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
"Crash into me real hard"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA HiAce in the USA?

just wondering if the Toyota HiAce has even been available in the USA. I recently discovered the existence of this toyota model and found it VERY VERY attractive. even compared to the Estima & Alphard.

http://www.transport.com.sg/cnpadmin...tes_item/7.jpg

the largest super long wheel base version looks very very nice.

one thing i dont get is what powers it.. a 2.5L, 107 Hp, 4 cylinder engine. the SLWB version itself weighs about 4500 lbs. the 0-60 must be in the teens right? and fully loaded, the acceleration must be horrendous!

btw, with such a little face, do you think the engine is under the driver like the Previa?

92 LE 2wd auto
-Six Hella 500ff
-Stock alloys painted semi glossy black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i've never seen it, and i would imagine it's a similar design to the Previa. per Wiki, it seems to be a Euro, Australia, Africa, Asia-only vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hiace

ಠ_ಠ
i don't play well with others.

Last edited by falnfenix; 09-29-2007 at 10:33 AM.
#3 Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 AM
TN's Resident Car Whore!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
We have them here in Belize and let me say they look really good on some nice wheels. And the space inside allows you to use your imagination.

'93 Toyo Cam LE (SOLD) '94 Lexus GS300 (SOLD)
'95 Mitsu Clipse RS (SOLD) '00 Honda Civic (SOLD)
'94 Geo Priz (SOLD) '92 Toyo Cam DX (SOLD)
'99 Mitsu Spyder GS (SOLD) '97 Ford Probe GTS
http://www.xclusive.bz
#4 Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Official TN Member

yeah, the engine do hide under the driver seat, and it actually have three engine to choose from, a 3.0 liter turbo diesel, a 2.0 liter and a 2.5 liter gasoline.

The picture you have is the most recent generation. I do prefer the previous generation.

Since they do have a 4wd system that is capable to do offroading, and that generation have a luxy version called super custom that have all the toys (ie: 4 sunroofs, refrigerator, power curtain (japanese market prefer curtain instead of tinted glass), power everything, automatic a/c)

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius

Last edited by ea8631; 09-29-2007 at 11:57 AM.
#5 Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did have basically the HiAce here; it was the model that preceded the Previa, called the Toyota Van in the 1980s. It did get knocked for its slow acceleration, but it did have real 4WD and several interesting option packages.

Unfortunately the HiAce, along with all other Toyota utility vehicles, have almost never been seen in the US due to ridiculous tariffs.

C

1991 Previa DX 2WD, 140K
1997 Tacoma Std Cab 2WD, 100K
#6 Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Newbie One Kanobi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona67 View Post
We did have basically the HiAce here; it was the model that preceded the Previa, called the Toyota Van in the 1980s. It did get knocked for its slow acceleration, but it did have real 4WD and several interesting option packages.

Unfortunately the HiAce, along with all other Toyota utility vehicles, have almost never been seen in the US due to ridiculous tariffs.

C

I grew up with one with my parents owning one and I owned a Toyota Van myself! Coolest cars ever!

Liberalism: We think we know what's best for everyone but we won't follow it, but you're darn tootin we'll charge you for it.

#7 Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona67 View Post
We did have basically the HiAce here; it was the model that preceded the Previa, called the Toyota Van in the 1980s.
C
Toyota Van in the North America actually called Litace in Japan, it a bit smaller than Hiace. The latest model with it's engine hide under the driver seat is like this:

Then it was replaced by Noah, which is like this:

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#8 Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 PM
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanYouToyota View Post
just wondering if the Toyota HiAce has even been available in the USA. I recently discovered the existence of this toyota model and found it VERY VERY attractive. even compared to the Estima & Alphard.

http://www.transport.com.sg/cnpadmin...tes_item/7.jpg

the largest super long wheel base version looks very very nice.

one thing i dont get is what powers it.. a 2.5L, 107 Hp, 4 cylinder engine. the SLWB version itself weighs about 4500 lbs. the 0-60 must be in the teens right? and fully loaded, the acceleration must be horrendous!

btw, with such a little face, do you think the engine is under the driver like the Previa?

This is a picture from C & P Rent-a-Car in Singapore, a tiny island country in Southeast Asia. Yes, Singapore is quite advanced, with miles of multi-laned, access-controlled freeways criss-crossing the island, but because of its tiny size (about the size of a faired-sized North American city, but not a sprawling one like LA), there is really no need to go very fast (provided by high horsepower), or is there really any room to get up to speed quickly (provided by high torque). So, as long as the engine can move the vehicle at a fair speed (keeping up with traffic) without straining much, it is all that is needed.

One question: the engine's power (horsepower) is quoted, but no torque figure is given, so do you know what it is? It is likely that the engine has a relatively high torque figure, a figure that we in North America are not used to for an engine of this size (2.5 liter). It is torque, especially high torque available from lower engine speeds (rpm) that produces good acceleration, not horsepower; power from an engine (which is calculated from the engine's torque and engine revolutions) provides you with the sustained speed.

The horsepower wars were started in Germany and the USA, where there are super freeways and room in which to put it to good use. They were started because there is now so little technologically (for example, all cars now have airbags, computer-controlled engines, etc.) to differentiate one car brand from another, that they had to resort to competing with horsepower. But, there are still many places in the world (including within cities such as Singapore, LA, New York, Toronto, London, ...) where ridiculously high horsepower means very little.
#9 Old 09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu View Post
This is a picture from C & P Rent-a-Car in Singapore, a tiny island country in Southeast Asia. Yes, Singapore is quite advanced, with miles of multi-laned, access-controlled freeways criss-crossing the island, but because of its tiny size (about the size of a faired-sized North American city, but not a sprawling one like LA), there is really no need to go very fast (provided by high horsepower), or is there really any room to get up to speed quickly (provided by high torque). So, as long as the engine can move the vehicle at a fair speed (keeping up with traffic) without straining much, it is all that is needed.
Yet the taxis do 130km/h on the ECP with their bells dinging like crazy

How come it's a commerical plate and not a rental car plate?

Oh and Singapore is 48 x 32km

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#10 Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
One question: the engine's power (horsepower) is quoted, but no torque figure is given, so do you know what it is?
For 3.0 (2.982Liter) Turbo Diesel (1KD-FTV):
Horsepower: 136ps @ 3400rpm
Torque: 30.6kg.m @ 1200-2400rpm

For 2.0 (1.998Liter) Gasoline (1TR-FE):
Horsepower: 133ps @ 5600rpm
Torque: 18.6kg.m @ 4000rpm

For 2.7 (2.693Liter) Gasoline (2TR-FE):
Horsepower: 151ps @ 4800rpm
Torque: 24.6kg.m @ 3800rpm

My mistake, there isn't any 2.5L gasoline offer in this gen, only 2.0L or 2.7L.

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#11 Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM
One with the force

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideland Prius View Post
Yet the taxis do 130km/h on the ECP with their bells dinging like crazy

How come it's a commerical plate and not a rental car plate?

Oh and Singapore is 48 x 32km
If you look at the bottom of the side sliding door, it says "Excursion Bus" -- tour bus. Remind me what the rental car plates look like? Did you rent while you were there? I have never rented in Singapore; I left the driving to my native relatives, which was better than driving those non-straight roads!
#12 Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
If you look at the bottom of the side sliding door, it says "Excursion Bus" -- tour bus. Remind me what the rental car plates look like? Did you rent while you were there? I have never rented in Singapore; I left the driving to my native relatives, which was better than driving those non-straight roads!
Hmm, I don't recall the "Excursion Busses" licence plate. I know regular cars are SZ_

I was there 10 years ago so they only had SZ and SZA and just before I left, there were starting with SZB. It's probably down to F or something lol. We rented from C&P from the time it came out in 95 to the time we left. We always rented the Lancer wagon. (although once we were stuck with a horrible 1995 Accent...)

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#13 Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea8631 View Post
Toyota Van in the North America actually called Litace in Japan, it a bit smaller than Hiace. The latest model with it's engine hide under the driver seat is like this:

Then it was replaced by Noah, which is like this:

Thanks for the correction; the top van looks really good. The Noah looks like a car and also the box it came in.

Ya know: I really get tired of how the JDM models look so much better than the North American, even though they are essentially the exact same model. Are we just a bunch of cheap-asses in this country, or do we just have no sense of style?

I saw a JDM Toyota Van, or Litace as you call it, at Home Depot last month. It looked way better than the US-spec ones.

Some day I will get the JDM headlights and grille for my Previa; it'll look much better then...

C

1991 Previa DX 2WD, 140K
#14 Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
I grew up with one with my parents owning one and I owned a Toyota Van myself! Coolest cars ever!
I almost bought one 20 years ago as well; unfortunately it was the cargo version, hadn't been well-treated, & was very overpriced (like everything else in Fairbanks, Alaska).

C

1991 Previa DX 2WD, 140K
The Following User Says Thank You to Corona67 For This Useful Post:
ECHOKnight2000 (05-29-2012)
#15 Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Official TN Member

I have a 1984 Toyota Van LE (5 speed). We're the original owners and it rocks! The 86-89 vans came with a true high-low transfer case and are quite the off-road beasts. It's much more a 4x4 like a tacoma than AWD like an All-trac. If you find yourself a 5speed 4x4 that isn't rusted to hell, try to get your hands on it. you'll be happy you did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > General Discussion