*conventional oil* 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
General Discussion General discussion of basically anything automotive-related.

View Poll Results: *conventional oil 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 for non-oil burning 110k - corolla 99
0w30 conventional non-high mileage oil 0 0%
5w30 conventional non-high mileage oil 9 90.00%
10w30 conventional non-high mileage oil 1 10.00%
10w40 conventional non-high mileage oil 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
*conventional oil* 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40?

update#1: if possible, please note if your advice pertains to the type of weather (hot, cold, ice) and driving habit (city, mix, mostly freeway). I just realized the poll will be less accurate with these conditions, but I suppose your text will help.

update#2: personally, I live in San Francisco and it never freezes here nor does it get really hot, but I do mostly city driving.

****In regards ONLY to conventional motor oil (non high mileage oil) and assuming I change my motor oil every 3000 to 4000 miles along with a genuine toyota filter.**** I can't afford synthetics.

A salesperson recommended I use 10w30 for my corolla 99 that has 110k miles. What do you think? My engine does not burn oil. Manual says to use 5w30. Some people say using a thicker oil will give more protection for cars w/ high mileage as 5w30 is too thin and won't stick to the cylinder wall. In addition, they say 10w30 for my high mileage car will provide better compression as there's more seal. I would of course get synthetic if there's it gets cheap on rebates!

He then recommend 10w40 when my care gets really old.
What do you think? No flaming, just what you think or vote. I did search.

Thanks!

Last edited by gcorolla99; 10-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Gearhead

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What have you been using in it thus far - assuming 5w-30? Stick with it then, the old thoughts of 5w-30 being too thin are completely baseless. 5w-30 has the same viscosity as 10w-30 when the engine reaches operating temperatures - hence the 30 weight. At lower temperatures (doesn't have to be subzero - even cold starts in general), the 5w-30 will flow faster than 10w-30 - so if you are talking about engine wear, which most wear starts on initial startups, 5w-30 is the better choice, protection wise.

10w-40 is a little heavy to run in the car. Unless you plan on tracking/racing the car exclusively (high heat, extreme pressures, etc.). For a daily driver in a wide variety of temperature ranges and still wanting to maintain good fuel economy - stick with the manufacturers recommendation of 5w-30 motor oils.

The formulation and design of current motor oils in terms of engine protection, deposit control, and viscosity/temperature stability - are a quantum leap ahead of oils made in the past several decades. Sounds like the salesperson is using some old school of thought on engines that had much less control and larger clearances than what the 1ZZ-FE is running.

I personally would run only a 5w-30 or 0w-30 in my cars. 0w-30 for the winter time (temps can occasionally dip below zero on my area or when I'm on travel out of state). On occasion, I will run 10w-30, but usually in cases where I ran out of my stock of oil and can't find any 5w-30 or 0w-30. The car will run fine on the 30-weights oils, but I tend to loose 5-10% in fuel economy if I run the 10w-30.

Bottom line, since your car is running fine and doesn't consume oil - just stick to what you've been doing. So far you've treated the engine right, and it has treated you well in return - no reason to change up what you are doing.

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
#3 Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Fish and others for the vote.

I do like confirmation in relation to "5w-30 has the same viscosity as 10w-30 when the engine reaches operating temperatures - hence the 30 weigh" - since our cars warm up so fast, I'm surprised that it will lose 5-10% on fuel economy since they are of the same viscosity at operating temperature. The reason I bring this up is because I have about half a box of 10w40, so if 10w30 makes such a difference, I can't imagine what will 10w40 do to my car in terms of fuel economy. I thought about mixing in 2 quart of 10w40 and 2 quart of 5w30 so I can get rid of the extras...but in thinking about it, I could be losing far more money on gas by trying to mix the oils. I suppose I'll just give it away.
#4 Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Official TN Member

I use 5w-30 year round in New Jersey. We get 100+ degree temps with 100% humidity (not raining) and below freezing temps in the winter.

Ive been using normal castrol 5w-30 for 80K miles now, and no problems.*

2500 miles into my last oil change, checked my oil, and It hardly showed on the dipstick. Only 3.5 quarts of oil came out. Normally all 4 come out. (little less)

*This is the 1st time ive noticed any sort of oil burning, so Ill keep an eye out on it closer now. This current oil change I was rough on the car. I wnt on vacation in new hampshire, and then down to virginia. Both in the mountains with the car filled with camping gear.

I have also switched to the 2ZZ filter, which is maybe 1/4 inch taller, but same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > General Discussion