Toyota Nation Forum banner

What Would Scooby Do? with this 1988 Suburban?

602 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  grandpapa 
#1 ·
Well, I got this 1988 Suburban from my in law and here is what's going on.

It is a 1988 he bought it at 2000 for $5K with 150-160K. He didn't drive it much so he didn't really take good care of it. I put around 7K miles since 2011 (at 172K currently) and replaced pitman arm, idle control arm ($380 at local shop),
DIY the following: front brake, replace PVC valve, new oil cap, new battery, alternator, air filter, fuel filter, fan control resistor. I spend around $400 so far.
Overall the engine is smooth, still pretty strong, no shacking or anything.

Problems:
1) Stereo, no RF (was working until last month), tape still work with sudden volume changes (for whatever reason the speaker on the driver side will either go very loud or no sound, it drives me crazy)
2) Power door lock on the psg side doesn't work
3) Front and Rear power windows on driver side doesn't work
4) OLD R12 AC, not blowing cold air
5) Bad weather strip on rear door
6) Intake manifold is leaking coolant (not too bad but quoted ~$650)
7) Rear tires worn on inner side (due to the pitman arm, control arm problem and I rotated it to the rear currently)
8) Just stalled a few days ago and got a call yesterday and need a new distrubtor but GMC dealer told me it is an aftermarker part which will be $450!

I gave the go ahead to fix the distrubtor so it can be driven again.

I have 2 cars (Avalon, Highlander) at home so this is really an additional for the family and this is the only one to fit the with my parents (total of 6) . I got 13-16mpg since it's a 2WD.

I spoke with the service manager and even he agreed that the car is actually in pretty good condition and I should keep it. He pointed out even if I sell it, how much I can really get? and what can I buy with the $$, I probably buying someone else's problem even with newer car. I can see his point.

So what would you do? Keep it? unload it? get another one? I don't mind to get a "newer" suburban (love the space) but not willing to spend a lot and kind of worry I might end up with someone's else problem...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.