Toyota Nation Forum banner

MotorTrend goes to Calgary, AB rockies with Nissan GTR black edition

840 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jegan_V 
#1 ·
Admire the natural beauty of rockies in Calgary, AB. Being a resident of Calgary, AB for the last 18 years, it never ceases to amaze me.

#2 ·
I agree, I think Alberta takes it when it comes to Canada's best scenery. BC is close, but you have so many natural wonders in Alberta. Oh, and I've tried that water...I still remember how good it was after so many years.

Toronto is definitely rubbish in this regard, very little natural beauty short of lake Ontario but the Toronto side is easily the worst part of that lake. With how Calgary is progressing, it'll probably be the best city in Canada very soon. Toronto however has been run so badly and incompetently especially in the last 3 years, unless things change Monday we'll easily be the worst city in Canada worse than even Ottawa.

#5 ·
My issues with Ford aren't the fact he's done drugs, I actually care little for his personal life which sadly became city business thanks to his own incompetence. His frequent absences from anything a mayor is supposed to do, like represent Toronto in a gathering of Canadian city mayors in Ottawa or Queens Park are just a minor aspect of his incompetence. I can't even trust him to keep his promises. If he fulfilled his subways promise, the subway near me would've been extended. Even on the issue he prides himself on, supposedly fixing Toronto's budget woes...he's added to the debt, depleted revenue sources and one of his promises to not reduce services...well that was done pretty quick the moment funding dried. Basically deja vu with Miller...except Miller could find revenue sources even if people hated them. Taxes...he wants a Scarborough subway...he had to advocate for a tax increase something he once campaigned against because he's got no business support unlike Lastman. His biggest issue as mayor...he has zero support on council. Even strong conservative councilors like Denzil Minnan Wong or Micheal Thompson will not support his initiatives and they're on his executive committee...people he's appointed. The one thing city council regardless of political stripe agreed on...was to censure him. His list of accomplishments as a result are thin which is horrible for a growing city.

Ontario's mess with regards to Toronto though is primarily Mike Harris based. Previous administrations from the very good Bill Davis, the so-so Peterson and disappointing Bob Rae have not done huge harm to Toronto specifically, in Davis's case he was a boon even to Toronto. Harris on the other hand slashed and burned most of Ontario's funding for all items and one major item that has screwed Toronto over to this day was amalgamation. To the province it makes sense as they only have to pay 1 city versus 4 seperate ones. The Mega City however has failed spectacularly, the city council since amalgamation has been pretty dysfunctional and has become a war between the 4 old boroughs being Toronto, North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough. Its very rare for council to come to a consensus with 44 councilors and the mayor is going to come from only one of the old boroughs. Lastman was mayor for North York perviously so North york benefited from him being Toronto mayor everybody else less so. Miller being from Toronto, meant old Toronto did get more attention than previously. Now we have Ford...he's the weird one where he's from Etobicoke...its not that much better today...but Scarborough has instead got the big item being the proposed subway there. There were many other things Harris has done which wronged Toronto like slashing public transit to near zero resulting in 2 lost full subway lines(only 1 partial one), ancient vehicles and no improvements for a decade where the impacts mean Toronto's gridlock problems are now crippling. Its things like this which is why the Ontario PCs are toxic in Ontario elections even in mostly conservative Etobicoke, Mike Harris couldn't even stand for re-election because he knew his defeat was inevitable. This has been why the Liberals have won their 4th straight election(I wanted them defeated in the 2nd). Not one section of amalgamated Toronto voted a PC MPP in the election, not even former Etobicoke mayor Doug Holyday probably the strongest name the PCs have ever will have for a Toronto candidate could survive a general election after a by-election win.

The next Toronto mayor has to do a near impossible job of consensus builder. Somehow benefiting all 4 boroughs and making them all a bit happy and making the whole city function hasn't happened in the 16 years the mega city has existed. Making them all mad however is doable as the Ontario PCs have found out. I'd like to be proven wrong in that regard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.