Toyota Nation Forum banner

Chinese Kids Driving Supercars: Inside the Secret Southern California Meet-up

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  mbastard924 
#1 ·

China’s ultra-rich are growing in number and in wealth - and are sending billions of dollars out of the country. Much of it is landing up in the U.S. where many children of the wealthy elite are sent to get an American college education — and they’re living large. Vocativ found a sub-culture of these Chinese students in California. They drive luxury cars like Maseratis and Ferraris and flaunt their wealth at discreet private parties and in online groups, like "Super Cars in America”.
For some of us Chinese, this isn't new...more of these "kids" are coming to the US/Canada, with huge parachutes of $.

#4 ·
This is fascinating. Their daily drivers are the kind of thing I already view as "excessive" for my age, never mind their supercars.

I can imagine what it's like to have that money and to be able to justify buying a $400k supercar with an $8k vinyl wrap. They have a different concept of money than most of us do. What I can't imagine is truly enjoying the privilege of owning such a vehicle, if I was so rich.

I remember right after I paid off my Corolla, having this zen moment where I said to myself...man, I made it. :) That great car, that's mine. I bought it with the money I earned.

I wonder what it feels like to these people to own such a vehicle. How do they feel when they drive down the road in it, alone, with nobody watching? Is it only a status symbol to them, or do they truly love their cars?

#7 ·
What I can't imagine is truly enjoying the privilege of owning such a vehicle, if I was so rich.

I remember right after I paid off my Corolla, having this zen moment where I said to myself...man, I made it. :) That great car, that's mine. I bought it with the money I earned.

I wonder what it feels like to these people to own such a vehicle. How do they feel when they drive down the road in it, alone, with nobody watching? Is it only a status symbol to them, or do they truly love their cars?
I'm the same. My mom came from China in the 70's-80's and my dad grew up here. Culturally I'm completely different from those kinds of kids. For all intents and purposes I'm basically like a ******* or stupid villager to them. My mom actually did come from a small village and my mom's "village accent" is evident, and when they're in China she gets treated way differently.

Honestly I'll probably never afford a super car like that unless I get a good salary, live in my car and eat 49 cent noodles every day. Honestly the dream car of mine to own is a 4 door sedan with a 1JZ-GTE under the hood, done up right (a super stealthy sleeper) with my own hard work, blood, sweat, and tears. I know a lot about cars but for me it's learning new things and understanding the entire system that I really love from detailing, to making power, to suspension, to forced induction etc. Hell I was just talking to my friends about buying a mill and lathe so that we could maybe design and mill some engine parts, (not going to happen any time soon though we don't have like $9K to drop on a crappy used lathe). To these kids, like all "new money", it's just a status symbol and really they'll never push their cars to the limits other than maybe in a straight line on a highway.

That's also one of the beefs that I have with those kids coming to North America too, their parents are usually corrupt politicians or billionaire business owners/property developers and they have little to no concept of actually doing hard work and ride on their parents coattails. They also don't tend to integrate well into society here and live in their own little enclave.

Only one of the guys I know from high school who had rich parents and came here from China actually did something with his life. His parents bought him a brand new BMW M5 (autotragic version though :( ) when he turned 16, but he was actually a pretty smart kid and wanted to do well and I think ended up getting a bunch of scholarships and going back there when he finished university to work with his parents or something.
http://www.toyotanation.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

#11 ·
Do you really think the vast majority of super car buyers in America gives a f**k how a 911Gt2 and a Panamera differ?

Hardly if any are women. I guess the Chinese love their sons and terminate any girls. But who are these guys going to marry and procreate with when they get older? They also rarely mix with other races. These guys are screwed.

When you can afford these cars, I have a feeling finding a woman to marry and procreate is not terribly difficult.

#9 ·
Hardly if any are women. I guess the Chinese love their sons and terminate any girls. But who are these guys going to marry and procreate with when they get older? They also rarely mix with other races. These guys are screwed.

#10 ·
These guys usually end up with girls that are in their similar state of mind (parachute kids as well), or they'll go back to the motherland and find one there. OTOH, it is more likely that a "FOB" girl gets married to an ABC/CBC (American/Canadian born Chinese). One of my friends is just like me (ABC) and his wife is Taiwanese, and all he drives is an E92 :grin:

#18 ·
I need to browse the general section more frequently, didn't know this was already covered. I'd say rich people and their families tend to be the same no matter what the ethnicity. I also want to mention, most of us have probably thought of doing almost the same thing most likely. Move to a country with a currency noticeable weaker than the dollar and live like a king. The school I'm at has tons of foreign students, Chinese, Vietnamese, Saudi, etc. Most of them ride the city buses.

#21 ·
LOL guess it's not only me who thinks that!

Asians all look the same to non-asians anyway
Technically, the other way around also applies. To Asians, all whites tend to look alike as well. Stereotypes have also driven more non-whites into believing whites are superior, which is why most blacks by the millions are using skin bleaching creams, weaves/wigs made from non-***** human hair (or horse hair) and dating white men/women. Whereas, most Asians still retain their traditional value, but may sometimes date a white man or woman. Trust me, it's a lot easier to be white or black in America, but not Asian or middle-eastern. There's also a lot more rich white people than there are rich Asians. That video is simply another crack at driving the rich Asian kid stereotype down people's throats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.