How to remove Speedo cable from cluster??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to remove Speedo cable from cluster???

I have an 89' Hilux 4x4 with a sqeaky speedo cable and I have read that I can lube it myself by running it a few days while funneling lube down the cable while it rotates. Anyway, this is all fine and dandy but I can't figure out how to detach the instrument cluster from the spedo cable. My hands can get up in there from behind but I don't have much room to work blind to figure out how it detaches. From the way it 'feels' I think it must come off in two different ways?

1. Twisting off. The cable end appears to be 'teardrop' shaped and it does seem to twist a bit but I don't have the leverage to force it and don't want to really try and then break something.

2. There feels like there is a plastic arm that comes out to the edge of the speedo cable and grabs it on. I can lever this out a bit with my fingers (unfortunately it is sharp) and it feels like it may then release the cable but again, I don't want to force it and then break it.

anyone ever do this before and could you describe the cable attachment method? I have the Factory Toyota manuals but didn't seem to find any pictures in there either. :-(

thank you.

jess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2005, 04:25 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Sqeaky Speedo Cable... SOLVED!

Im going to reply to my own post after figuring this out today (nice and sunny outside)...

I was sort of right in theory #2 in that the plastic arm was the solution. The reason I couldn't get it off was that you need to push on the lever about 1.5" from the base. it then lever's and releases the cable.

To figure this out, I disconnected the speedo cable from the transfer case and then gave myself enough slack so I could see the connector behind the instrument cluster. This was not actually that difficult to do and was way easier than fishing around blind behind the cluster with my hands.

I solved my sqeaky speedo problem too... what I did was prop it up and put about a teaspoon of Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic oil in the end of the speedo cable which naturally has a little cup where it joins the cluster. Keeping the cable upright so the oil didn't spill out, I drove around town about 10 miles (still sqeaked at this point) and then let it sit an hour. After an hour, the oil was gone and so was the squeak, I put in another teaspoon and drove about 5 miles. The oil was gone again. I called it good and put it back together and have not heard a sqeak yet. My local auto parts store (Advance Auto) didn't stock the speedo cable which I why I tried this method. Much cheaper... we'll see how long it lasts.. I have heard good reports of it solving the problem for years.

Anyway, there is one for the archives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux