1994 Truck with Manual Shifting Problem - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
alot of times people jump to conclusions. Ive learned this from my grandpa. He once bought a 96' cadillac that the owner was sure needed a head gasket,... it turned out that my grandpa bought it and a day later found it to be a $20 belt. Ran like new.

Hope all is well with your tranny now.

-Adam

1992 Toyota pickup 4x4. 3" body lift, Skyjacker Nitro 8000's, ICW alloy rims, 31X10.50" tires, K&N drop-in w/ airbox Mod. Sony Xplod head unit, MTX & kicker front speakers, BAJA and APC lights up front, Accel SS coil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Just my two bits on the shifting problem (FWIW):

A while ago, my truck got difficult to shift. I had trouble getting it into 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears, and it would pop out of these gears easily. It seemed to be slowly getting worse and worse.

It turned out the bushing (seat) that sits under the shift lever was starting to disintegrate. I had to pull the shift lever to replace the bushing (about a $20 part, IIRC).
#18 Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Replace pilot shift lever bushing & seat yourself DON'T TAKE IT TO ANY MECHANIC.

Shift lever pilot bushing # 33548-31010 (green)=$7 CDN
Shift lever seat # 33505-35020 or 33505-35030 (white)=$16 CDN

Note: the 2 above #’s fit all trannies:G,R,W series (22R,R-E,3VZE)84-95.5,no need for entire shift lever retainer (85-95.5 pre-Tacoma)

http://www.4runners.org/articles/shift/
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/shifter/index.html
http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/sh...eat/index.html

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:sidneybek@yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 246 000 KM

O
|\ __O
_|_| \

Did just what you suggested... It was AWESOME !!!! Just like a new tranny and less than 20.00 to fix.... Thanks for all the help !!!!
#19 Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM
New TN User

If I'm reading this post properly, it sounds to me that it could possibly be a worn shifter retainer or bushings, or both. Not a difficult or expensive fix at all.

Mike
#20 Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM
New TN User

Other simple solution: Check the Clutch fluid reservoir. Low fluid = Hard shifting.
#21 Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Official TN Member

i dont see why on every tranny problem post everybodys says it the shifter seat and bushing. yes. it is a (cheap) fix. not always the problem solver. i see it as more maintenance then anything. is it because its super easy and anybody can do it? all these problems ppl are referring to isnt fixed by this. i replaced mine about a month ago because i was hard shifting. didnt do a damn thing. mine were disinegrated. i actually drove my truck for 2 days after i cleaned everything up waiting for the new ones to come in the mail. not a bit of diff. afterwards doing alot of knowledge reading and finding its prob my synchros. wouldnt doubt bearings and forks and everything else is prob worn out as well. these trucks have so many miles on them. when something goes sour. the smart thing to do is replace everything that worn once the tranny is torn down....right??
im sorry..but all i see is SHIFTER SEAT/BUSHING/////SHIFTER SEAT...BUSHING

im done

-93 dlx reg cab,115k V6,5spd,31" at ko's,front bj spacers,rear 2" skyjacker aal,aisin manual hubs conversion, -93 toyota ext cab,160k,v6, 5spd,32" km2,3in lift,magnaflow exhaust,arizona truckbabyhttp://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80...d-project.html

Last edited by bensyota; 06-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.
#22 Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Languishing in Virginia

Shifter seat/bushing is the MOST common & the EASIEST fix, so why not try it first??

Take a chill pill.....

TNRabbit
STOCK '94 DLX XtraCab 4x4, 5 spd, 3VZE, 270,000 mi.

#23 Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
Shifter seat/bushing is the MOST common & the EASIEST fix, so why not try it first??
If it turns out this doesn't solve the problem and the transmission needs to be replaced you can always put the shifter seat/bushing in your new unit.
#24 Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
New TN User

would this also be the case if it is slipping out of 3rd 4th an 5th? as long as i am giving it gas it will stay in gear but soon as i let off the gas it pops right out of gear. Also it will grind sometimes into 4th....i dont know much bout this but i have had the truck for alomost 3 yrs and never had a problem...an how do u check the gear oil?
#25 Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
ToyTruck1989

My `89 did the exact same thing 2 years ago. It had been shifting weird for about a week; it didn't feel like it was going completely into 3rd most of the time. Finally, I was 50 miles from home, climbing a hill and it popped completely out of third gear.

I had a shop looking for a rebuilt trans for me, until I read about the bushing problem. I picked up the parts from my dealer (they were very aware of this issue, btw) and installed them in about an hour or so. Shifts just like new....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux