Steering Rod Recall - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Steering Rod Recall

Has anyone brought their truck in for this recall yet? I'm suppose to tomorrow and wondering what it curtails. I relly don't like bringing it in to the dealer. It's such a shock that they recall a 16 year old truck. I have a 89 truck. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 PM
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>

what all years was it called for because my truck has some play in it.. its a 93 2wd

2007 Honda Ridgeline - The daily
1997 Yamaha YZF600R - The toy
2002 Kia Rio - The wifes car
#3 Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 PM
New TN User

Who all has taken their's in? And if you did, did you receive a letter, or did you just take it to your local dealer?
#4 Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I took mine in and I never received a letter. I just called the dealer with my vin. and verified the recall and scheduled it. They put all new Tie Rod Ends and drag Link. Everything from wheel to wheel.

Last edited by Sweet Toyota; 11-29-2005 at 11:52 PM.
#5 Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Banned

its only 4wd models.
#6 Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 AM
New TN User

The only Re-Call i have for my 1989 toyota pickup is the Steering Relay Rod, or Centerlink as most of us call it, lol, its SSC 50N-Steering Relay Rod Replacement. Safety Recall, i havent tooken mine in yet !
#7 Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Official TN Member

My father-in-law gave me his recall card when i bought the truck from a year ago. relay rod, tie rod ends and an alingment.

93 Toyota PU 4x4 Extended cab, 22RE, 5sp
100,000 miles.
#8 Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscat
My father-in-law gave me his recall card when i bought the truck from a year ago. relay rod, tie rod ends and an alingment.
"JimsCat" Do they replace that otehr stuff to the tie rod ends, cuase it only says to replace the sterring Rod and my truck is an 89 pickup, if they replace that otehr stuff then i wanna take it in A.S.A.P ? let me know cuase this is my third notice the first notice which i cant find says that they replace the steering rod and give afree allignment, so who knows, anyone with info or that has taken there 1989 toyota pickup in for this recal let me know what else they did besides replacing the steering rod, thanks !
#9 Old 05-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Official TN Member

funny you bring this up... i stopped by the yota dealership yesterday to ask about this recall, for some reason i forgot all about the recall and found myself behind the wheel of the 2007 tundra crew cab with the iforce 5.7L

supposedly, if everything goes well, i can probably ask about this recall on monday morn when i go pick up my new toy

based on credit approval of course.............

1991 Toyota Pickup 22re 4x4 3" body 5" susp 35x12.50's 150watt KC's 2.5" pacesetter, rancho steer/stab.
2003 Hummer H2 Vortec 6000 6.0, Air Susp Fully Loaded Pimper
#10 Old 05-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Official TN Member

I don't recall the exact wording. Steering relay rod replacement and an alignment. I think was all it called for but the service writer said they would replace the tie rods because they were supposidly frozen and could not complete the recall. Give the dealer ship a call and verify. You may or may nor get tie rods ends.
Jim

93 Toyota PU 4x4 Extended cab, 22RE, 5sp
100,000 miles.
#11 Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 AM
New TN User

Nightmare turn Dream

I took my 94 4x4 in for the recall... they later called me and told me that the steering relay is installed but now they cannot align it tie rods are frozen and they are not covered under the recall... the service writer said "it will be 550 bucks to replace the parts needed to align it Mr Pablo"... I jumped on my bicycle and rode my happy little ass up to the dealership and had a few words with the service manager... In the end they replaced everything from tie rod to tie rod under warranty... dont pay for anything related to this recall... they will cover it.... I think Toyota of Richardson is just trying to boost their sales... sneaky bastards

"We tried everything they said"... I looked around "where is the torch, rosebud, and the wd40"... "oh we cant use heat"... "no wonder you cant break them loose"....
#12 Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 AM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I got the letter and scheduled the work with the local dealer near my work. I checked out the entire front end a week before the work was done so they wouldn't try to sell me anything I didn't need and got an inspection sticker at the same time. They ended up replacing the relay rod and both tie rods at no charge and gave it an alignment. I had no issues what so ever. I'm guessing they have to neary destroy them to remove them anyway so they kind of have to replace them. At least in most cases.

"The normal make a living. The deranged make history." -Christopher Titus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux