torsion bar adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View nofear4189's Photo Gallery
torsion bar adjustment

where on the torsion bars are the adjustments? My truck sits lower on one side than it does the other (about 3/4 inch). It think this is because somebody probably tried to mess with the torsion bars before and didnt do it evenly. My question is, how do you adjust them? Im not sure where the end is to adjust them. Will i need any special tools? I know ill need to align the truck after i raise them, but i plan to anyways because im eventually getting bigger tires for it.

-Adam
1992 Toyota pickup 4x4. 3" body lift, Skyjacker Nitro 8000's, ICW alloy rims, 31X10.50" tires, K&N drop-in w/ airbox Mod. Sony Xplod head unit, MTX & kicker front speakers, BAJA and APC lights up front, Accel SS coil
nofear4189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

View subliminaltrips's Photo Gallery
The Only Thing It Will Really Change Is Your Camber Unless You Go Way Up. Camber Is Adjusted By Shims On The Inside Of The Upper Control Arm Where The Cross Shaft Mounts. If You Want To Turn The Bars Up I Suggest A 22 Mm 1/2 Inch Drive Deep Well Socket A LARGE RATCHET And 2 X 22 Mm Wrenches ( Youll Need 2 To Bust The Double Nuts Apart From Each Other.) The Adjustment Bolts Are On The Crosmember Where The Tranny Mount Is, You Will See The Bolt And The Nuts On Top. Basicly All The Bar Does Is Twist Down On The Lower Arm The Tighter The Bolt The Higher And Stiffer It Gets, The Bar Has Splines On Both Sides That Keep It From Twisting, The Torque Arm Can Be Removed But Usually The Bar Can Slide Out. You Shouldnt Need To Remove The Bars Unless Your Going To Replace Them Like I Did. The Sway Away Bars Are Really Stiff And Lifted The Truck With No Problems.
subliminaltrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View nofear4189's Photo Gallery
I think i know what bolt youre talking about.

so all i need to do is loosen a nut on the top of that vertical bolt and turn it clockwise to lift the lower side, and then tighten down the nut and itll be lifted. Its very hard riding already, so i dont care about ride. I just want to even the front of the truck out a little so when i get big tires, itll look allright. Thanks for the help

-Adam
1992 Toyota pickup 4x4. 3" body lift, Skyjacker Nitro 8000's, ICW alloy rims, 31X10.50" tires, K&N drop-in w/ airbox Mod. Sony Xplod head unit, MTX & kicker front speakers, BAJA and APC lights up front, Accel SS coil
nofear4189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>

View ocb_dave_ocb's Photo Gallery
Here man, alot of people dont know but you can actually line it back up without shims.. you can do it with the tie-rods...

BTW here is a how to on your torsion bars...
http://www.dragginminis.com/forums/s...t=torsion+bars
ocb_dave_ocb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocb_dave_ocb
Here man, alot of people dont know but you can actually line it back up without shims.. you can do it with the tie-rods...

BTW here is a how to on your torsion bars...
http://www.dragginminis.com/forums/s...t=torsion+bars
THERE WONT BE A NEED TO REALIGN HIS TRUCK IF HES ONLY GOING 3/4 AN INCH BUT IF YOU LOWER OR RAISE THE TRUCK IT WILL REPOSITION THE CONTROL ARMS AND THROW OFF THE CAMBER WHICH WILL CAUSE THE TIRES TO WEAR ON THE OUTSIDE IF THERES POSITIVE CAMBER (THE WHEEL STICKS OUT FURTHER ON TOP THAN BOTTOM) AND THE OPOSITE WHERE THE INSIDE WEARS MORE BECAUSE THE BOTTOM OF THE TIRE IS OUT FURTHER THAN THE TOP ( NEGATIVE CAMBER) THE TOW IN( WHEELS ARE POINTED INWARD LIKE A PIDGEON WHICH WEARS THE OUTSIDE OF A TIRE) AND TOW OUT( WHEELS POINTING OUTWARD LIKE A DUCK WHICH WEARS THE INSIDE OF A TIRE) CAN BE ADJUSTED AS DAVE SAID WITH THE TIE ROD SLEEVES AND CAN BE A REAL BITCH TO GET JUST RIGHT. ITS BEST TO GET IT ABOUT WHERE IT SHOULD BE AND TAKE IT TO AN ALIGNMENT RACK FOR A 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT. BUT AS FOR ADAM'S TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT THERE WILL MOST LIKELY BE NO NEED FOR FURTHER ADJUSTMENT TO CAMBER OR TOW.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Loose Nut

View Arved's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear4189
My truck sits lower on one side than it does the other (about 3/4 inch).
Let me guess. Right side low? That's normal. Gas tank is on that side. Very common for pre-'comas.

'94 Base standard cab 2wd - 22R-E engine, W55 transmission, 149K miles
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Very True For Most Any Truck With The Gas Tank On One Side Of The Truck.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>

View ocb_dave_ocb's Photo Gallery
Yeah both of my yota trucks set down lower on the passenger rear..
THE FIX for this.. Put all of your stuff on the driver side in the bed..lol
ocb_dave_ocb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View beko's Photo Gallery
Hey guys, looks like I'm in the right place.

I have a '82 22r pickup, 2WD automatic, built into one of those little sandtana RV's, maybe the smallest you've ever seen.

My problem is that the left side is a good 2 or 3 inches lower than the right. Good suggestion about the fuel tank, but that's mounted square in the middle in the way back.

I have little to no mechanical experience, I was told to look at the torsion bars to find some kind of adjustment for this, but even if I could find such a thing hell if I know which way to turn whatever bolt and how much.

BTW that link to the torsion bar adjustment is broken, 404 is all she wrote. That would've been really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get on this!

Peace,
-Beko
beko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View elripster's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beko View Post
Hey guys, looks like I'm in the right place.

I have a '82 22r pickup, 2WD automatic, built into one of those little sandtana RV's, maybe the smallest you've ever seen.

My problem is that the left side is a good 2 or 3 inches lower than the right. Good suggestion about the fuel tank, but that's mounted square in the middle in the way back.

I have little to no mechanical experience, I was told to look at the torsion bars to find some kind of adjustment for this, but even if I could find such a thing hell if I know which way to turn whatever bolt and how much.

BTW that link to the torsion bar adjustment is broken, 404 is all she wrote. That would've been really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get on this!

Peace,
-Beko
Beko, I put "toyota torsion bar adjustment" in google and got this. http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=398514

Just a forewarning, often these bolts are well rusted and snap with one tries to adjust them. It's not a bad idea to just buy new ones if you are in doubt from the dealer. At the very least spray the old ones with PB Blaster to loosen corrosion.

You need to align front end (or at least check it) after adjusting the bars even a little. There are instructions here. http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Alignment.htm

Frank
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View yota44's Photo Gallery
yea mine also sags on the right side, i havnt noticed it in the front but it definately does on the right rear
yota44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Be advised adjusting of the torsion bars not only affects camber but also toe in. That is why even after small adjustments you should check the toe. The string method is outlined in the instructions on our site.

Frank
Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View beko's Photo Gallery
Okay, well I managed to adjust the torsion bar/springs, with a slight hiccup... apparently on my older model (they probably changed this since), the bolts are spaced by these half-round stoppers placed precariously over the separator-arms to secure the whole deal in place. It's a good thing I was adjusting from the other side of the truck, because the left-side one that I was adjusting slipped off the arm just enough to send it firing into the ground, took out a little chunk of concrete. Since, we managed to get it back up into place. The bolt on the left side is now as high as it can go, but the outside of the housing is still only 1 - 1 1/2 inches above the tire. We noticed when we jacked it up that the wheel assembly for the left was reluctant to pivot downward all the way, and apparently from reading here and hearing from other places, there might be something else to adjust. Is there some other adjustment I should be trying to make to get this to pivot down how it should, or do you think the bending/warping over time might have stuck me with this particular height? The right side bolt is down about an inch below the left, and even this leaves the right side sitting about an inch and a half above the left. Should I keep lowering the right side until it's level, or is there something else I need to be looking at? I don't want to get new tires for this girl or have any work done alignment-wise until I can get all this straightened out.

As evidenced by the age of my rig and my own age, my budget is limited..

Thanks for your help so far, despite the mishap it's still better than it was to start with, but any extra advice I'll gobble up with maple syrup.

Last edited by beko; 02-07-2008 at 07:26 PM.
beko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Can you post some pics? Honestly, what you have described I have never encountered and am having a hard time visualizing how you got the t-bar adjuster to shoot towards the ground. Pics will help tremendously in diagnosing the problem and recommending a solution.

Frank
Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View slammer449's Photo Gallery
Hey beko about one side being about 3in. lower, i had the same problem with my chevy s10. It turned out that somehow I had managed to break the spring clear in half. The shocks were also shot. You might wanna check those things. I dont think a gas tank would lower it that much
slammer449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux