flashing overdrive light - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View MarthSD's Photo Gallery
flashing overdrive light

i'm the 2nd owner of an 88 pick up. recently the O/D light has been flashing and the acceleration from idle is sluggish even when i floor it. It runs great when the indicator isn't flashing but sometimes my acceleration will drop suddenly and the O/D light will start flashing...

any insight to what the problem might be is appreciated

spces:

'88 pick up V6 3.0 EFI stock 140K+ miles
MarthSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckennedy
Last year I bought a used '93 Corolla (automatic, 1.8 litre). It only had about 100,000 km, it was an autopac write-off so was refurbished. Unfortunately it did not come with an owner's manual. It has been running well until recently. Lately the overdrive dash light has been blinking off & on (is not on initially when I first turn on the car but comes on after 3 or 4 minutes in traffic). When I click the O/D button off, the rpm's go up like it's supposed to. The other thing that is happening is that I sometimes do not have power on acceleration. When I put my foot on the gas peddle the car moves very slowly, then all of a sudden the surge kicks in after maybe 5 - 10 seconds. I don't know if this is related to the O/D lite blinking or not but it started happening at the same time. I took my car my garage and they suggested a tune-up, which I got (plugs, wires, rotor and cap, fuel filter). The problem actually seems to be worse since then and my gas mileage is crappy. When I took it back to the garage, they said they did a computor diagnostics and couldn't find anything wrong. Being of the female persuasion I am not mechanically inclined, so am finding this very frustrating. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
found this and my problem is similar
Old 06-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
One with the force

View shoes1382006's Photo Gallery
nice yota sort of like mine!

http://Projektnorkal.freeforums.org
shoes1382006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View aggie2vzfe's Photo Gallery
I would guess this flashing o/d light is some sort of error code, or at least that's what it is on my 1990 sedan. Search the interent for "trouble codes" for your specific year and model and/or your engine transmission number.
good luck
aggie2vzfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Toyota Hemi

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View camryfour's Photo Gallery
Yeah it's a trouble code stored in transmission's computer. Go to AAMCO and they will tell you what it is for free.

EDIT: Nice ride Shoes.

Last edited by camryfour; 06-23-2006 at 04:15 PM.
camryfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View ultimate328's Photo Gallery
Here is exactly what it is. The transmission has either an electrical or a mechanical failure. The computer sees the error and stores it in its memory setting. It flashes the light to let you know it has an issue.
Now the sluggishness is the transmission taking off in a higher gear (2nd or 3rd) that is its fail safe mode againletting you know "hey there is a proble here"
get someone to read the codes for you an dget me the numbers. I will help you with this !!!
Sam
ultimate328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux