Toyota Nation Forum banner

My new project

823 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NickMc 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1993 DLX 2WD 2.4 Manual and now the work begins!

I bought it to teach my daughter to drive a stick and for her first car. It's pretty much unmolested and straight but neglected and I knew it would need some work from the get go. I've been maintaining vehicles all my life, most recently a 99 BMW 323 for the last 8 years. YouTube and forums are my friends!

First up was front brakes. Pretty straight forward except I haven't had to pull the hubs repack wheel bearings to replace rotors in decades. They are done and working well. Still need to flush fluid and bleed but for now working well.

Motor is doing what seems to be the classic problem of surging at part throttle and backfiring. So far I've checked compression, all 150ish +- 5 lbs. at our elevation of 4250 msl. and installed new plugs. The plugs are showing rich mixture. I checked for codes. It is throwing a 31 code which should be the AFM. I used my trusty multimeter and checked, or tried to check the values per http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml
The problem is I momentarily get a value and then the meter goes to zero, In other words I can't get a steady resistance value. I also saw somewhere a test where you take the housing off the filter box and move the flap with your finger while the engine is running and you should get some kind of effect on the engine but this has no effect. Is it time to replace the AFM?

Another anomoly with this truck is that I can clear the code. I've tried removing the fuse and disconnecting the battery the CEL is always on when the fuse or battery is reconnected. Am I doing this right?

One other thing. I replaced the fuel filter. I did my best Hans Solo impression "How hard can this be" well, pretty hard! Actually the only hard part was getting the top bolt on the bracket started. I was finally able to do that by putting a short (1.5 inch) piece of plastic tubing over the head of the bold and then I could reach in there and start it by hand.

Any suggestions on why I can't clear the codes and if I have done enough diagnosing to justify getting a replacement AFM would be welcome.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.