Head light high beams not working - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View KY_TOY's Photo Gallery
Lightbulb Head light high beams not working

OK, here's another one from "mister been fixing it back up lately". I hope y'all don't get tired of me.

Anyway, both high beams stopped working a few years ago. I just left it be, as I rarely ever use high beams anyway. Too much trouble flipping them on and off out on the road. When it first happened, I checked every fuse and relay, but all were good. I even ordered a wiring diagram, but couldn't track down the problem. Today, I went ahead and installed 2 new sealed beams, because one of the originals had become pretty dang dull. The new ones look super bright compared to the old ones, and I hoped that maybe by some miracle the high beams would work again, but they did not.

Anyone else ever seen this problem? I've been told by a couple shade tree types that it's probably a bad connection in the column switch. Also, according to the wiring diagram, the high beam indicator lamp in the cluster will not illuminate unless the high beam lamps are good... well, the indicator lamp does light up. I'm stumped.

If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it until it is broke... then go buy a new one.
KY_TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Offical Truck Nut

View 1bad2WD's Photo Gallery
I would say its in the colum , I had a nissian do that , I have a couple laying around just in case.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
oh-pin-yun-A-ted

View jakejjs's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_TOY
I rarely ever use high beams anyway. Too much trouble flipping them on and off out on the road.
haha...i dont find it that difficult to flip the lever forward.....then back
1987 4runner, 22RE
jakejjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View simms's Photo Gallery
KY_Toy,
I went through the exact same problem 2 months ago, it was the dimmer switch in the column. I ordered it through the local toyota dealer for around $35.00. It was very easy to change out. I am not a vehicle mechanic by any means. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions @ sjslr@cox.net.

Simms
simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View kendlefox's Photo Gallery
The Dimmer switch has some truth to it.

Looking at the schematics, it appears the Dimmer has a seperate switch for the High Beam and supplies the ground.

I used to work on F-16s and had to read schematics like this but it has been awhile.
It appears if the HEAD LIGHT CONTROL RELAY was Inop, then the lights wouldn't work at all.

I don't have complete faith in these schematics, as they don't seem to show the High Beam switch, but if you bypass B5 on Connecter B of the Dimmer Switch, you may find your High Beams will work.

If you bypass it, and it works, then replacing the Dimmer switch should solve your problem.

Hope this helps...
kendlefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux