FAQ - Timing Chain, Engine Codes, Surging Idle, Steering Noises, ECT... - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 64 Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Saving lives

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
^ same here!

well, i changed the oil ( it was black and dark, now from 10W30 to 5w30..) smoother idles!! eliminating problems one at a time

94 RN93 | *dead* | W58 | 2WD8"V6 | FX-R3.0 5000K 35W| 18x10.5 295/30/18
95 JZA80 | V160 | HKS Intake, Hipermax IV GT, & 4" Ti | RMS SS 3" DP | Bride Stradia | Nardi

89-95 Hilux Massive Truck Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
now my check engine light has popped up. it threw a code for the 02 sensor, which i already knew was gonna happed, and a starter signal code # 43. i have no idea what this means if anyone does please fill me in. it has also started leaking oil from the front of the block. just my luck
post #33 of 64 Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
dmb
New TN User

I am sorry to hear that, never happened with my yota. lose some oil once in a while but not very much at all and the engine light has not come on ever, I dont know, I am sorry hope someone else can help you better...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
DCM
One with the farce

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How to set your valve lash - 22RE

Here's a link for those of you who don't know how to set 22R/RE valve lash, and are too cheap to get a manual...

'92 ST185 All trac turbo
'91 Cressida
'72 TE27

Last edited by TrailDust; 07-19-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Service manual link deleted.
post #35 of 64 Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
New TN User

Elusive engine pinging

Please help: I have a 1991 pickup, 22RE, 167k miles.
Runs fine but has an engine pinging only during weather above approx. 75F and above heat, and only in certain RPM "bands" or gas pedal positions as I am accelerating. While driving on freeways, engine will ping under a certain consistent engine load/gas pedal position, but will disappear when gas pedal is pushed for more accelaration or released to slow down. There is a certain "sweet spot" where this pinging occurs but at no other time.

I've replaced all plugs (with NGK) and checked gaps. Have installed dealer distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, distributor assembly, and adjusted valves. I've been using Chevron Premium gasoline which only lessens the pinging; regular gasoline makes it worse. During the winter months (average 30F~70F), the pinging problem disappears.

Anybody had this problem and fixed it? I had brought it to the dealership before and they couldn't fix it but did decarbonize the throttle body and flush fuel injectors.

Thanks in advance for any tips...
post #36 of 64 Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Saving lives

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaspeed View Post
now my check engine light has popped up. it threw a code for the 02 sensor, which i already knew was gonna happed, and a starter signal code # 43. i have no idea what this means if anyone does please fill me in. it has also started leaking oil from the front of the block. just my luck
Hopefully you could get that o2 sensor replaced, I'm sure you have. Does the motor turn over fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsugem64 View Post
Please help: I have a 1991 pickup, 22RE, 167k miles.
Runs fine but has an engine pinging only during weather above approx. 75F and above heat, and only in certain RPM "bands" or gas pedal positions as I am accelerating. While driving on freeways, engine will ping under a certain consistent engine load/gas pedal position, but will disappear when gas pedal is pushed for more accelaration or released to slow down. There is a certain "sweet spot" where this pinging occurs but at no other time.

I've replaced all plugs (with NGK) and checked gaps. Have installed dealer distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, distributor assembly, and adjusted valves. I've been using Chevron Premium gasoline which only lessens the pinging; regular gasoline makes it worse. During the winter months (average 30F~70F), the pinging problem disappears.

Anybody had this problem and fixed it? I had brought it to the dealership before and they couldn't fix it but did decarbonize the throttle body and flush fuel injectors.

Thanks in advance for any tips...
Do you have the correct thermostat? This is just to eliminate the problem of the motor running hotter than what is needed.
Have you ran injector cleaner through the gas tank (or vacuum lines) to clean out the intake ports, valves, and combustion chamber to produce a cleaner combustion environment?
Have you tried other regular gasoline from different gas stations?

You stated the dealership flushed the injectors, was this done on vehicle (with injectors running on motor)? Or removed and then flushed?

I'm just trying to see what you have done to provide the fuel a better combustion in your motor's initial condition.

Give a shot with Seafoam, or any other injector cleaner you wish to use, all of them remove carbon deposits and gunk. With the engine running, pour the selected cleaner through the brake booster vacuum line (this will pretty much spray the cleaners and wet the interior walls of the intake manifold, the intake runners, the valves, and the combustion chamber. thus breaking down the carbon deposits and any gunk).

You should optimally do this with the motor in optimal running temperature, like after a short 5 minute drive down a nice lengthy road. When you are pouring your cleaner into the line, have an assistant (or yourself) keep the RPm's up a bit to prevent motor from dying).

After you have poured some good amount of cleaner from the container, shut off your motor for about 5 minutes. This will continue letting the cleaners break down the material.

As you start up again, it'll take some time but hold the gas pedal down a bit as you crank it over. no the motor isn't dead, it'll take a few good sparks to get everything burning. You will want to pour the rest of the cleaner into the vacuum lines like you did earlier, and put the rest into the gas tank.

You will have immense amounts of smoke run your motor hard (with a load, gun it down an open road... 22RE toyota pickup right? take it up to about 35mph in first gear a few times, or if on the highway, take it up to 65mph in second a few times. This is to get the motor to burn out all the gunk in the motor.

This was to clean the motor chemically. I have done the cleaning Physically (wire brush and some good carb cleaner spray). I pulled out my intake manifold and scrubbed out the stuff. helps alot! My intake runners on the manifold had some rough castings on the end, I took off some with a file. Not till it is shiny smooth, but just sufficient enough not to alter the geometric designs.

Most of us around here have done this and literally scraped out gunk with our fingertips.

Sorry if my post was long and confusing, I tried my best to help!

Btw, is your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system running fine?

EGR is responsible for lowering combustion temperatures also.

94 RN93 | *dead* | W58 | 2WD8"V6 | FX-R3.0 5000K 35W| 18x10.5 295/30/18
95 JZA80 | V160 | HKS Intake, Hipermax IV GT, & 4" Ti | RMS SS 3" DP | Bride Stradia | Nardi

89-95 Hilux Massive Truck Info
post #37 of 64 Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 AM
New TN User

I'll have to check the thermostat, but I did get one from the dealership a couple of years ago. I don't exactly know how the dearlership cleaned the injectors. I'll give the Seafoam a try--thanks for the detailed instructions. As for the EGR, no--I never thought of checking it.
Thanks DupViper for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #38 of 64 Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've read this thread and it doesn't say much about a surging idle...

I took care of mine by cleaning the EGR valve; very easy to do even though it's on the back of the engine (22re). Upped my mileage from 19 to 24!
post #39 of 64 Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Procrastinating on TN

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great info about the Automatic Differential Disconnect system...all owners of trucks with A.D.D. must read!

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Ax.../detail/399612

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E

Last edited by knj27; 08-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
post #40 of 64 Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
New TN User

popping noise

im having the same problem when i turn my wheel all the way. what s the best way to fix this?
post #41 of 64 Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM
New TN User

surging idle

A good placed to look for your surging idle problem is your idle air control valve. there is a valve on the back side of your throttle body. it hangs down right before your plenum, and there is a plate with 4 oddly placed screws. You must take your TB off to get to it. Once the plate is off there is a stud with a nut. The nut has a slot on each side and adjusts coolant through the idle valve. I turned mine in quite a bit, since it was idling cold at 2100RPM, then surged for a while, and finally dropped to normal RPM. After I turned it in it was perfect. I suggest putting some locktite on that nut so it does not happen again. I hope this helps. I could not find this adjustment in the book or the internet. Just messed around for hours.
JoeAllie likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr. awesome For This Useful Post:
JoeAllie (07-06-2014), Ziick (04-02-2012)
post #42 of 64 Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM
New TN User

Truck shaking can be caused by tire balance. Make sure your wheels are "lug-centric" balanced not "center-hole" balanced. made all the difference on my truck which had horrible shake. If the tire place says "huh", go to another place. Most modern machines have an adapter with screw in pins to suit any lug pattern. One of my wheels had a 5 ounce weight difference between the two methods.
Second the drive shaft universal yokes have to be in the correct alignment. The fork attached to one end of the drive shaft (the main long part) has to have it's pivot in the same plane as the other end. Both have to pivot in the same direction (plane) from the "center piece". If the yokes are at 90 degrees to one another you will "hop" down the road. AKMHIK.. If they are not in alignment, pull the sliding spline end piece out of the long part of the driveshaft, rotate to line them up, and re-insert. Seized drive-line u-joints also cause nasty vibration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiercel For This Useful Post:
nlorsung (04-07-2012)
post #43 of 64 Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 PM
New TN User

where are the steering stops located for a 91 4x4?
post #44 of 64 Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
B3AR

I have a 93 22re pu... ok heres my problem, runs good when it's cold.. after you run it about 20 miles or so on the freeway at 3200 rpm.. if you shut it off to run in the store or whatever and go to start it back up it ruff idels and misses for a little but then clears up... but if it cools all the way back down it dont do it. and when it's really cold out like 25 and below it doesn't want to start... any ideas whats wrong with it? no check ingine light ever...
lifelongtoyotagirl likes this.

Last edited by beardog360; 12-08-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling and i cant type
post #45 of 64 Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
B3AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblrYota View Post
where are the steering stops located for a 91 4x4?
they are on the backing plates. they look like a bolt sticking out below the brake caliper. they thread in so you can ajust them... but just put some grease on them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux