Please help me with 92 V6 timing belt install - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada Please help me with 92 V6 timing belt install

Hi all,
I really need some help with installing the timing belt on my 3.0L 92 V6 Toyota Truck. I've removed the old belt (making sure all the timing marks are set), but now when I install the new belt, and rotate the crank two full revolutions, the camshaft marks both come up a little short!?!? They should be matching up with the marks on the rear timing panel thingy, but they always come up a few teeth short of the marks (when the crank mark is lined up perfectly).

What the heck am I doing wrong?

I should mention that when I first start to rotate the crank the belt almost seems to skip a bit until the tension spring/pulley takes up all the slack - is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Any suggestions/'how-to' knowledge from someone who's had success HUGELY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Official TN Member

have you looked through her

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t158538.html

93 Toyota PU 4x4 Extended cab, 22RE, 5sp
100,000 miles.
#3 Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Languishing in Virginia

If there is any "slack" to take up. something is wrong. There should be NO slack.

TNRabbit
STOCK '94 DLX XtraCab 4x4, 5 spd, 3VZE, 270,000 mi.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-13-2007 at 06:55 PM.
#4 Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Ahhh, I think I see what I'm doing wrong...

After following a link (1993 Toyota Pickup Service Manual: Timing Belt
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm) from the timing belt sticky suggested by 'jimscat' above, I think there are two issues.

1) The new belt I'm installing is not a Toyota belt, so it doesn't have the belt markings - not a huge deal, but I think they would help with this precision installaion.

2) The link above talks about using the SST tool (which i have) to slightly turn the cams back, when installing the belt to basically get a snug fit.

Using my Haynes manual I was just slipping the belt on by hand, and I think I ended up with a bit of slack in the belt between the crank and cams, which I thought the tensioner pully would take care of - it doesn't.

So anyhow - thanks for the suggestion to look back at the timing belt sticky more closely. Really appreciate it. The Haynes manual makes it look like you just slip it on and voila - done. I'm going to pick up a Toyota belt tomorrow with the markings and try the install again.

In case another newbe such as myself has a similar problem, I will post back with any other issues or success. That sickening feeling in my gut is starting to fade - I though I had really f'd things up.
#5 Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Languishing in Virginia

A Toyota belt isn't a requirement; you just have to get the belt on the lower drive pulley first, then the driver's side jpulley, then lastly the passenger side pulley. That leaves the slack to be taken up by the tensioner.

TNRabbit

#6 Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks TNRabbit - that makes sense - this is my first timing belt replacement, I was scared to move the cams even the slightest bit on their own, didn't realise there is a little bit of movement 'allowed'.

Will try it again with the belt I have - do you/have you ever used the tool mentioned above to get a tight fit??
#7 Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Just an update - used the SST to turn the cams forward a bit to add tension to the timing belt and it worked like a charm. Too bad they don't mention this step in the Haynes.

Used the regular after market belt too - I called toyota here in Calgary, they wanted $89!! Cost me only $39 at a parts store.

Anyhow, thanks again for the link/help. She's running nicely now. There's a squeal on one of the belts, but I'm sure I just need to do a better job tensioning the alternator.
#8 Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 AM
ToyotaNation Member

just a note for guys with a 93 on with the hydraulic tensionser connected to the fan bracket.

set your cam points about a tooth or 2 before the markings, and the crank a tooth or 2 forward, cause that tensioner really gives it a good fit and will move your alignment everytime....

just an FYI...everything else is a breeze..and yes, always remember to doublecheck your work and do the 2 revolutions...
#9 Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Languishing in Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson
Just an update - used the SST to turn the cams forward a bit to add tension to the timing belt and it worked like a charm. Too bad they don't mention this step in the Haynes.

Used the regular after market belt too - I called toyota here in Calgary, they wanted $89!! Cost me only $39 at a parts store.

Anyhow, thanks again for the link/help. She's running nicely now. There's a squeal on one of the belts, but I'm sure I just need to do a better job tensioning the alternator.
Haynes manuals aren't worth s#!t. Use the FSM at the top of the page in this forum.

TNRabbit

#10 Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Official TN Member

Haynes = garbage that you use for target practice!

I did exaclty as TNR states (which is in the toyota FSM) with a non toyota belt and no sst's....twice!

Once for the first timing belt change and the second for the headgasket repair.

whatever you do MAKE SURE that when everything is lined up, the #1 cylinder is at top dead compression, the distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 contact, and that both valves on #1 cylinder are shut.

1990 Toyota 4Runner 3vze
2.25" cat back with car sound hiflow cat || K&N FIPK || Ported intake plenum || Fixed Head Gasket @ 275,000 || Heads PNP, 1mm oversized valves, and s2stuning cams installed || EPN Grade 10.9 HeadBolts! ||

Later Mods: WMI || SMT6 || turbo || 550cc 7th injector

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-16-2007 at 10:47 PM.
#11 Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Languishing in Virginia

..and don't forget to line your distributor up with all those as well!

TNRabbit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux