Hilux LSD Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Louw's Photo Gallery
Question Hilux LSD Problem

I have a 2.7 hilux with limited slip diff that whenever I go around a corner under heavy torque the inside wheel spins. I have replaced the clutch plates, re shimmed the clutch springs to give slip torque of 140 Nm(originally was 80 Nm), have tried various LSD oils and at present using Castrol LSX, but the inside wheel keeps spinning under torque depending whether going left or right. This is all on tar. The wheel spins so that the engine goes into rev limit but as soon as the vehicle levels out the sliiping stops. On a normal pull away with lots of accelaration 2 black spin marks are left on the road. I have read about friction modifiers which I wondered if that would work but have not been able to find such.

If anybody can give advice it would be appreciated.

Louw
Louw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
YOTA Master

Gameroom cash: $200055
View Vicoor's Photo Gallery
I can't say as I would know what would be wrong, But I don't think what you are describing would have to do with the lube. The friction modifiers are to allow smooth engagement and disengagement of the clutch packs. When there is a problem with the fluid it results in chatter.

Vicoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View jimscat's Photo Gallery
isn't that what a lsd is suppose to do?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View wayfastwhitie's Photo Gallery
kinda but not really. the rear end should lock up under enough torque no matter what. my lincoln used to only burn out with 1 tire then 2 sometimes but the clutches were worn.
wayfastwhitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 93deluxe's Photo Gallery
Most lsd's are just that. They only limit wheel slip. Only on occasion you will find one that works really well in a turn. As far as clutch loaded lsd's, Eaton is about you're best. They offer two lines. Street and Pro. The Street version is probably only a little better than stock. The Pro. version is better, it worked really well for me in a 96 Ext cab Ford 4x4 with 35's. They too are completely rebuildable. If you want genuine positive traction, Detroit or spool. Neither are comfortable for daily driver.
93deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux