92 pickup clutch problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 92 pickup clutch problem

92 pickup rwd 4-cyl 2.4 ltr truck has around 300,000 miles but engine/tranny was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago

having a problem with clutch, it will go in to gear with engine off but it will not when the engine is running, it only grinds with trying to force it, we bled it today with no improving, truck is used for transportation..... any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Watch the clutch release arm when pushing on the pedal, see if it moves the specified distance.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Official TN Member

Adjusted properly? Feel resistance when you press the clutch pedal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Languishing in Virginia

Check that your clutch bracket under the dash is not cracked & flexing when you engage it; not uncommon.

TNRabbit
STOCK '94 DLX XtraCab 4x4, 5 spd, 3VZE, 270,000 mi.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
No, there is hardly any resistance when you press the pedal in, it almost goes to the floor, its the same when running or not .. but it has always been this way , and how exactly/where do you adjust it?

also there is nothing broken under the dash, and where is the clutch release arm?

Last edited by Joey_SoCal; 12-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-12-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch? and where the release arm is? anything will help (like where to look) ... I'm going to need to drive the truck next week. Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
New TN User

You can adjust the clutch via the rod that is attached to your clutch pedal. This rod is threaded on the end that connects to the pedal and it has a lock bolt to keep it from spinning. The other end of this rod goes towards the firewall and into the clutch master cylinder. If you loosen up that locking bolt then you can spin that rod. If you spin it counter-clockwise it will decrease the amount of pedal travel and the pedal will actually be closer to the firewall.....If you spin it counter-clockwise it will increase the amount of pedal travel. It can be damaging to adjust the pedal to far out, and if you adjust the pedal too far in you wouldn't be disengaging the clutch when you puss the pedal in. THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE YOUR PROBLEM.

The The clutch release arm is under the passenger side of the truck on the side of the transmission towards the front. You should see a metal arm sitcking out and a clutch slave cylinder right in front of that. When you push on the clutch pedal that arm should be pushed away from the slave cylinder....... However, how much; I am not sure.....

I am having the same issue, however I think it is just my transmission that has taken a crap. I put in a new master cylinder and I do have resistance in my pedal and my clutch release arm is moving about 3/4 inch or so, but my clutch works fine. It engages about a half a pedal out from the floor, however I cant get the damn thing into first or reverse while sitting still. I gotta shut it off, put it into gear, then start it back up.

Annoying.....I KNOW

Hope this helps
Hope this helps
post #8 of 20 Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Okay well I found the release arm and it seems to be working fine... my friend and I were trying to see what it was so we were messing around with it on stands the other day and it will not go into gear while the truck is on but it will when it is off... so we started it up in second and got the wheels spinning (not as fast as normal in my opinion) then we stopped the wheels with the brake and the engine kept running so... Im thinking that the clutch is my problem... because if the clutch were working right it should have stalled the engine, am I right? if not tell me if that means anything else.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM
New TN User

Question.... When you are driving your truck down the road in say 4th gear and you stomp on the gas pedal, does the RPM go up higher than your speedo is moving....as if your clutch were spinning? If you dont have any clutch slippage then the clutch is probably not your problem, it is most likely the clutch release components.

Oh, and to answer your question, your test could mean the clutch is bad.

'92 Yota Pick-up, 22RE, 4x4, 5spd, 31x10.50-15's, stock gears, 254,000 miles and still ticking, but with a cancerous frame.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A92Pickup4WD View Post
Question.... When you are driving your truck down the road in say 4th gear and you stomp on the gas pedal, does the RPM go up higher than your speedo is moving....as if your clutch were spinning? If you dont have any clutch slippage then the clutch is probably not your problem, it is most likely the clutch release components.

Oh, and to answer your question, your test could mean the clutch is bad.
Good call !

I do that test occasionally on my truck, the wife's car, and the motorcycle. I like to use lower gears and the brake though. I always figured the ratio would make the clutch slipping more apparent.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
New TN User

Hate to jump in mid stream but my 91 22re 2wd is slipping. this will be the first clutch replacement. it has been slipping for about 2 months, right after the timing chain and head gasket replacement. how hard of a job is it? i've never done a clutch before, anything i need to keep an eye out for ? thanks all (srry 4 steeling thread).
post #12 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHATTEN View Post
Hate to jump in mid stream but my 91 22re 2wd is slipping. this will be the first clutch replacement. it has been slipping for about 2 months, right after the timing chain and head gasket replacement. how hard of a job is it? i've never done a clutch before, anything i need to keep an eye out for ? thanks all (srry 4 steeling thread).
I haven't done mine (or any on a toyota YET) but for 2WD trucks like ours it should be easy. Get the front end up on jack stands / ramps, drop the drive shaft, and drop the tranny on a hydraulic jack.

You'll want to get a clutch alignment tool from autozone, if they have one for reinstalling the tranny.

I'd plan on a Saturday morning for it.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
New TN User

Ok, thats pretty much in line with what I thought. I purchased my clutch kit today $104.00 for an ac delco kit with the alignment tool. I hear its a good kit. I have sold quite a few of them for the guy that runs the parts store. He said he would turn my flywheel for free as a favor since I buy 4 to 5k a month from his store. Also he said to use wet newspaper to force the pilot bearing out. I mentioned grease, because I saw it in one of the posts but he said the news paper was not as messy. so i'll let everyone know how my paper mache clutch job goes. hehehe. If anybody has anymore info please chime in. The more experience the better.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Official TN Member

Look for an Asco/Aisin clutch kit; they're the best quality ones. This is what I used. It has the function and feel of a stock Toyota clutch and is even equipped with the same Nachi pilot and throw out bearings that Toyota uses from the factory.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWDVW

Resurface flywheel.

Replace rear main seal!!

Replace front transmission seal if leaking.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Languishing in Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHATTEN View Post
Ok, thats pretty much in line with what I thought. I purchased my clutch kit today $104.00 for an ac delco kit with the alignment tool. I hear its a good kit. I have sold quite a few of them for the guy that runs the parts store. He said he would turn my flywheel for free as a favor since I buy 4 to 5k a month from his store. Also he said to use wet newspaper to force the pilot bearing out. I mentioned grease, because I saw it in one of the posts but he said the news paper was not as messy. so i'll let everyone know how my paper mache clutch job goes. hehehe. If anybody has anymore info please chime in. The more experience the better.
So how'd it go??

TNRabbit
STOCK '94 DLX XtraCab 4x4, 5 spd, 3VZE, 270,000 mi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux