92 Toyota Pickup bogs down - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Big Wheels's Photo Gallery
92 Toyota Pickup bogs down

Hey,

I just bought a 92 toyota pickup a couple of weeks ago. Love the truck but its giving me troubles. 22RE, manual.

Ill be driving along fine and all of a sudden theres no power at all. Doesnt matter what gear, starting or highway, but if I am starting from a stop its most noticable as you have to have the pedal right to the floor before it will do anything. then it will just kick out of it and be fine. the last couple of days it hasnt really been kicking out, and its been doing it more than not now. The guy I bought the truck from said it was the coolant sensor he thought. I repalced that, and nothing. I repalced the plugs too. Wires look brand new, buddy said he replaced them 6 months ago. Oil's fine.

I don't want to start throwing a bunch of money at it. I saw a couple threads with similar problems, but none seem to go anywhere. Oh, and there are no codes showing up. Any help would be awesome! thanks.
Big Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

View knj27's Photo Gallery
have you checked other basics such as other parts of the ignition (distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil), air filter, fuel filter (although this is about impossible to get to without removing the starter).
knj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View A92Pickup4WD's Photo Gallery
I would check the Throttle Position Sensor. I have been hunting down a problem which sounds a bit like yours. I checked my TPS today and it was out of specs on the ohm meter. I tried adjusting it but to no avail. I put a new one in and all seems to be fine so far. Thats what I would suggest.

Good Luck
Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

hey thanks guys. I appreciate the fast reply. I havent checked out the rotor and cap just becasue the guy said he repalced them 6 months ago too. the whole engine was replaced. the air filter looks fine, and i've heard that you have to take the starter out to get at the fuel filter, which i'm not looking forward to.

And I was actually thinking TPS too. There is a spot on the accelerater that I hit (right near the floor) that the trucks kicks in at. If i move it back even the slightest it bogs down again. this sounds like TPS right?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 82Toyota's Photo Gallery
are you sure your just not letting off of the gas? Or is it like half way through the throttle movement...like you give it half throttle and it bogs down then you give it 1/4 throttle and it goes faster?

1983 Tercel 4wd 5spd Wagon 263k miles
82Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View 94svt50's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheels View Post
hey thanks guys. I appreciate the fast reply. I havent checked out the rotor and cap just becasue the guy said he repalced them 6 months ago too. the whole engine was replaced. the air filter looks fine, and i've heard that you have to take the starter out to get at the fuel filter, which i'm not looking forward to.

And I was actually thinking TPS too. There is a spot on the accelerater that I hit (right near the floor) that the trucks kicks in at. If i move it back even the slightest it bogs down again. this sounds like TPS right?

Thanks.
Mine does the exact same thing with the pedal positions. On mine im leaning toward the mass air sensor. Its way out of range on ohms. And it keeps getting worse, trying to find a junkyard mass air sensor since new ones are so expensive.
94svt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Toyota View Post
are you sure your just not letting off of the gas? Or is it like half way through the throttle movement...like you give it half throttle and it bogs down then you give it 1/4 throttle and it goes faster?
Nope. From starting, espeicially on a hill, its like theres no power. @ gear is really noticeable too. But I can go from the top of the pedal right to the fllor, and its pretty much on the floor is wehre it kicks in. The best way to describe it is pretty much no power at all. It doesnt stumble or shake or anything, but like I'm driving the truck with the brakes on or something (breaks work great). On my way home tonight It came right out of it for a bit and worked great. Couple minutes later same thing.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svt50 View Post
Mine does the exact same thing with the pedal positions. On mine im leaning toward the mass air sensor. Its way out of range on ohms. And it keeps getting worse, trying to find a junkyard mass air sensor since new ones are so expensive.
Yeah they want a lot for those. I hope its not the Mass Air sensor. toyota's are hard to come by in the junkyards around here. thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

I think the toyota ECU goes into closed loop operation, meaning its not using the sensors, its going on a preprogram in the ecu for the operating ranges. I think it does this when the engine is cold and when the your running full throttle. There is a full throttle contact in the TPS that tells the ecu to go closed loop. So, a problem that goes away when the pedal closes the full throttle contact, could be a problem in any of the sensors. Just need to get a good shop manuel and an ohm meter and test each sensor till you find one out of range.
From toyota the mass air sensors are $750 ouch.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View toytruck89's Photo Gallery
Closed loop is when the truck runs on data that it recieves from the PCM.
Open loop is when it runs on a known good set of parameters.

These air flow meters are also plug and play, maybe you could find one of these Mass Air flows instead?

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/let-s-t...sida-s-137629/
67 C10 - LS1 twin turbo swapped
toytruck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View toytruck89's Photo Gallery
also try bleeding your coolant system. Another member had somewhat similar problems caused by air bubbles in the cooling system.
67 C10 - LS1 twin turbo swapped
toytruck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytruck89 View Post
Closed loop is when the truck runs on data that it recieves from the PCM.
Open loop is when it runs on a known good set of parameters.

These air flow meters are also plug and play, maybe you could find one of these Mass Air flows instead?

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/let-s-t...sida-s-137629/

Thanks, I just found an 82 supra afm at the local junkyard for $45.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

hey guys

Just took the truck to the guy I bought it from. Took it for a drive. came back adjusted the ignition timing a little bit, and took it for another drive. No problems. I drove home here working fine. I'll keep ya posted to see if this is just a temporary fix, but so far so good
Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheels View Post
hey guys

Just took the truck to the guy I bought it from. Took it for a drive. came back adjusted the ignition timing a little bit, and took it for another drive. No problems. I drove home here working fine. I'll keep ya posted to see if this is just a temporary fix, but so far so good

So, you think this problem is caused by a timming issue?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

View knj27's Photo Gallery
Seems like a pretty drastic problem just for the timing being a little out of whack. But hey you never know...
knj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux