Manual Transmission Noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View plan9's Photo Gallery
Manual Transmission Noise

Hey All,

I just picked up a 1991 2wd truck with 124k on the clock (I suspect that it has more on it though), a 22-RE engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. It is a basic model with no power steering, or power anything for that matter!

When i bought it, it had a bad fan belt squeal and barely made it home. I went ahead and went whole hog, replacing the radiator (had a small leak), water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, hoses, and fan belt and now she's doing much better.

Problem is that after the fan belt noise was taken care of, I noticed a bit of noise coming from the transmission. It is a "rotating" noise that goes away when the clutch is pushed in. This happens if the truck is moving or at a standstill. In addition to this, it seems to make a bit of a whining noise in 1st- hard to tell though.

I checked the tranny oil and it was a little low (under a quart) so I topped it off. I would have replaced it, but don't have the correct socket for the drain plug.

What do you guys think? It pulls and shifts just fine through all gears, just makes a bit of noise. No "clunky" or "chunky" metal noises.

The clutch grabs close to the floor and supposedly was replaced not to long ago... the fact that it doesn't happen when the clutch is depressed makes me think that it is the tranny. I don't think that it could be anything from the transmission back b/c it makes the noise at a standstill.

I am all ears (eyes) if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

plan9
plan9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
DCM
One with the farce

Gameroom cash: $448500
View DCM's Photo Gallery
It sounds like your input shaft bearing is on its way out.

DCM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View ohgood's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan9 View Post
Hey All,

I just picked up a 1991 2wd truck with 124k on the clock (I suspect that it has more on it though), a 22-RE engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. It is a basic model with no power steering, or power anything for that matter!

When i bought it, it had a bad fan belt squeal and barely made it home. I went ahead and went whole hog, replacing the radiator (had a small leak), water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, hoses, and fan belt and now she's doing much better.

Problem is that after the fan belt noise was taken care of, I noticed a bit of noise coming from the transmission. It is a "rotating" noise that goes away when the clutch is pushed in. This happens if the truck is moving or at a standstill. In addition to this, it seems to make a bit of a whining noise in 1st- hard to tell though.

I checked the tranny oil and it was a little low (under a quart) so I topped it off. I would have replaced it, but don't have the correct socket for the drain plug.

What do you guys think? It pulls and shifts just fine through all gears, just makes a bit of noise. No "clunky" or "chunky" metal noises.

The clutch grabs close to the floor and supposedly was replaced not to long ago... the fact that it doesn't happen when the clutch is depressed makes me think that it is the tranny. I don't think that it could be anything from the transmission back b/c it makes the noise at a standstill.

I am all ears (eyes) if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

plan9
(with this first bit I'm assuming allot, so if I'm wrong, ignore it ok ?)

hey, welcome to the forum sir/ma'am. your OS would have been so much nicer than win32, but sigh, here we are. i've only met 6 people that knew what plan9 was so far. i'm not a user, (mac os here) but it's concepts are awesome, and blah blah blah - so welcome anyway

before you get to far along into loving your 'new' truck, you'll want to make sure it's going to keep on going.... if you haven't checked out your timing chain yet, do so. quite a few owners just drive the truck until it destructs, and the PO may have not changed it yet. i'm assuming the 91 has a chain instead of a belt, but eiher way, it's likely due for service.

welcome again !
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
YOTA Master

Gameroom cash: $197955
View Vicoor's Photo Gallery
"A Bit" of trans noise is pretty normal from these transmissions.

Actually I was drove friend's 2001 4cylinder tacoma 2wd the other day and I think his trans is just as noisey as mine.

I'd get the gear oil changed and drive it and see how it progresses.

Make sure you get 75w90 so it won't be stiff to shift in the morning!

Vicoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View plan9's Photo Gallery
are all gear oils created equal

I figured it was a noise that I was going to have to live with. I don't mind pulling the transmission and replacing a bearing if I must, but would rather try the oil change per your suggestion first.

Is there a brand/type that would work better than others in this situation?

Thanks,

plan9
plan9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $770985
View V62WDLongbed's Photo Gallery
Not sure it would make one bit of difference but you could clean up the transmission with a product called Auto-Rx. http://www.auto-rx.com/auto-rxnet/index.html
V62WDLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View qsd-dan's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan9 View Post
Is there a brand/type that would work better than others in this situation?
Yes, Redline MT90.
qsd-dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux