clutch question on 94 p/u - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View dave42's Photo Gallery
clutch question on 94 p/u

I have a 94 pickup (2wd with manual transmission). I have noticed lately that when I shift say from 1st to 2nd and then hit the gas, it almost acts like I haven't completely let the clutch out.
In other words, even though my foot is not on the clutch, the engine seems to race slightly for a second or 2. It otherwise drives normally. It doesn't pop out of gear, and the gears do not grind.
Does this mean that the clutch may be going? What sort of things should I look for if the clutch is starting to fail (besides that horrible smell that I've smelled once before on a different car)?
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View phatboy5015's Photo Gallery
Basically, it will just slip. It will most likely start slipping in 5th when its time to replace it.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $105260
View verlaryder's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I have a 94 pickup (2wd with manual transmission). I have noticed lately that when I shift say from 1st to 2nd and then hit the gas, it almost acts like I haven't completely let the clutch out. In other words, even though my foot is not on the clutch, the engine seems to race slightly for a second or 2. It otherwise drives normally. It doesn't pop out of gear, and the gears do not grind.
That's a symptom of insufficient clutch pedal freeplay. In other words, when you release the clutch pedal, the clutch is still partially connected to the engine which causes some clutch slippage which in turn will wear the clutch disk fast if not soon corrected.

The solution is quick and simple if you know what you are doing. Basically you look up under the dash at the clutch pedal and you'll see a rod connecting the pedal to the clutch master cylinder. The rod moves every time you depress the clutch pedal. This rod is called the clutch master cylinder pushrod. There's a 12mm locknut on the rod . You loosen this locknut and twirl the rod with your fingers to increase or decrease the amount of pedal freeplay then tighten the locknut when you've found the right setting. I forget if turning the rod clockwise or counterclockwise increases or decreases the amount of play so you'll have to experiment.

Basically, you are looking for a setting where the clutch disconnects and connects to the engine fairly near the top of its travel (fairly near the fully released pedal position) not down near the floor. But you do not want to go overboard and adjust it so that it releases only at the fully released position (which is what it appears to be doing now).
verlaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
another toyota owner

View anotherjeff's Photo Gallery
Adjusting the Clutch Rod will only affect the height of the petal. You shouldn't have to mess with this, unless you screwed with it already.

You need to replace the clutch.

Last edited by anotherjeff; 05-05-2008 at 02:09 AM.
anotherjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherjeff View Post
I beg to differ! verlaryder provides advice that may work on a Ford, or Chevy, but NOT Toyotas! Adjusting the Clutch Rod will only affect the height of the petal. You shouldn't have to mess with this, unless you screwed with it already.
I beg to differ with anotherjeff. I have driven some early 90's Toyota pickups & Corollas with clutches that engaged / disengaged when the clutch pedal was down near the floor and I fixed them by adjusting the length of the clutch master cylinder pushrod as I described above.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
another toyota owner

View anotherjeff's Photo Gallery
The OP doesn't have a problem with clutch release; it goes into gear without grinding. His problem is clutch engagement, i.e., slippage.

If there is push rod play (1.0 - 5.0mm at petal top), and the clutch is slipping, it's time for a clutch replacement.

Last edited by anotherjeff; 05-05-2008 at 02:09 AM.
anotherjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherjeff View Post
If there is push rod play (1.0 - 5.0mm at petal top), and the clutch is slipping, it's time for a clutch replacement.
Yes, and that's a big IF. So as I originally suggested, dave42, ought to turn his attention to the clutch push rod and adjust it to provide substantial play (1.0mm - 5.0mm) because if it doesn't have any play his clutch would slip and fool him into believing his clutch was fully worn out.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Rickisan's Photo Gallery
I agree with anotherjeff... these cars have hydraulic clutches... ie; there is no cable to stretch and alter the pedal height... but rather a tube filled with hydraulic fluid. The clutch is self adjusting.
95 Celica 124,000mi.
89 HILUX 22R 219,452mi.
Rickisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I agree with the 1994 Toyota factory service manual. In the clutch troubleshooting section it says:
Problem: Clutch slips.
Probable Cause: Clutch pedal freeplay insufficient (among various possible causes)
Remedy: Adjust pedal freeplay
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Helium-3 is the answer

Gameroom cash: $152900
View LeftCoast's Photo Gallery
Crimony, fellas, you live close enough to each other; why don't you take this outside???
LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Rickisan's Photo Gallery
Yeah, I'll meet ya outside after school... lol

How 'bout dave42 can check the Clutch Pedal Freeplay ala' the manual and then if that don't help will have to dig deeper in to it.

For certain it's much easier, quicker, and smarter to check the Pedal Freeplay first before dropping the trans. I hope your are correct verlaryder.

No animosity was intended.
Commence with Flame Gun shut down sequence...
Gas... OFF!
Lasers... OFF!
Master Power... OFF!
Secure Safties... COMPLETE!!!
SHUT DOWN SEQUENCE COMPLETE, SIR!!!!!!!!!!!
95 Celica 124,000mi.
89 HILUX 22R 219,452mi.
Rickisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View dave42's Photo Gallery
I'll give it a try tonight and get back to you guys.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View Soylent's Photo Gallery
freeplay

i had the same issue with mine after i replaced the clutch slave cylinder. i screwed around with the pushrod and adjusted it out as far as i could. not realizing that was a bad idea, i left it like that for a while, and noticed the tranny slipping. i figured it was about time for a new clutch, but then i remembered that i had messed with the pedal adjustment, so i cranked it back down and havent had any more slipping. seems that if it is adjusted out too far, the clutch never fully disengages, hence the slippage.
Soylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View denniswoo's Photo Gallery
USA free travel

hydraulic clutches need free travel otherwise they will not release. but there is no clutch adjustment just free travel. depending on the type of pressure plate and clutch disk you have they can start releasing about two inches from the floor almost to the end of pedal travel. on a standard mechanical type clutch if the clutch starts releasing right off the floor then you have too much free travel and it is pretty straight forward. on a hydraulic clutch in almost every case i have found, as long as the free travel is right, that when they start releasing at the top of travel you have a worn clutch disk and not long left before it needs replacing. on the 4wd Toyota trucks i have worked on the clutch typically starts releasing about 2 to 3 inches from the top with the suggested free travel. there are exceptions with some diaphragm type pressure plates but it is not a common occurrence.
denniswoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

View knj27's Photo Gallery
how many miles are on the truck, and do you know/believe that the clutch has ever been replaced previously.

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
knj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux