Radio Antenna Replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View flamesFan77's Photo Gallery
Radio Antenna Replacement

Hey all, has anyone ever replaced their radio antenna on a '90 ish pickup? My Haynes guide sucks ass and is very general.....seems to me that Chilton's puts out a more thorough book. Any advice on the steps to get the old one out and the new one in would help. The truck came with a replacement aerial, but no instructions of course.....

Cheers
flamesFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View stevesemti's Photo Gallery
I have an 89 4wd and ended up taking that right front quarter panel pretty much off. It was a PITA, but not the worst thing I've ever done. The bolts aren't hard to find, just make sure the door doesn't scrape when you put it back together.
Hope this helps,
Steve
stevesemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View animatronic's Photo Gallery
if you are replacing the base and wire you will have to take out the inner fender and possibly the wheel to make it easy to reach. The correct and extremely easy way to remove the old antenna is with a antenna socket. I have seen them on all the major tool trucks but they might be kind of hard to find other places. A pair of pliers/vice grips/ body saw /whatever will get it off but with significantly more work. The factory antenna comes in a grommet behind the passenger kick panel and runs behind the glove box. The glove box will need to be removed and possibly the radio depending on how tight it is.
animatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View flamesFan77's Photo Gallery
Thanks very much for your help guys. So the base/wire is a one peice deal then? It'd be nice to be able to replace the base and antenna and not have to remove body panels.

Cheers
flamesFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dave's

Gameroom cash: $301650
View Dave's's Photo Gallery
If I remember correctly, on my '91 I turned the wheels hard right and removed the screws to the back part of the inner fender. Mine also has an extension between the antenna lead and the radio. The real problem was finding a replacement to fit the extreme angle of the fender.
Dave's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View greypickup94's Photo Gallery
i replaced my whole antenna assembly not too long ago with an oem antenna i ordered from one of the online toyota sites. you have to remove the inner fender cover, its about 10 10mm screws, and the antenna has a tube that bolts onto a bracket to support it. mine had cracked there so it would no longer support the antenna. the wire is connected to the base so you have to take the dash apart and run the new antenna wire to the radio. i think i just cut the old wire off the base and used it to pull the new wire through the grommet. hope this helps.

sean
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux