Marlin Crawler Shifter Socket - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 PM
New TN Abuser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Marlin Crawler Shifter Socket

So today I decided to install the Marlin shifter seat and socket that I had bought I while back, and all went smoothly. The shifter came out of the tranny no problem, the old seat and socket popped off no problem, cleaned everything, greased it all up, stuck the new socket on the shifter and stuck it back in the tranny. But the shifter didn't go as far down into the transmission as it had been with the old socket, so I figured it was probably misaligned or something, and tried to puyll it back out. Tried is the key word here: it wouldn't freakin pull out, even though it was just sitting in there (I didn't even put the spring loaded cap piece back on)

So finally after giving it a good tug I finally got the shifter out....but the socket didn't. Anyway, I went ahead and reassembled everything anyway since I gotta have the truck to drive, putting the spring loaded cap back on was a real bitch, but everything works now...nice crisp shifts and all...only, there is no longer any springiness in the shifter any more. In other words, if you have it in neutral and move the stick left or right, it stays there and doesn't spring back to the middle.

Question is, is this because the shifter socket is not attached right to the shifter? Is it causing any damage to the transmission? Sorry for the long post...
-Kai

KaiYota - '92 Pickup Xtracab 4x4
Veezy - Flowmaster - SAS - Locked - Super shiny Longs - 35" kevlar MT/Rs - Not enough armor
http://picasaweb.google.com/flashkl/KaiYota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
New TN Abuser

(Thread Starter)
Spoke to Marlin Crawler today and the guy said hes never heard of the socket coming off of the shifter in the tranny, anyways, I will keep trying to get it out of there. If anybody has a suggestion on what to use to get it out, or what might be holding it in, please speak up.

I might be the only one here who's shifter got worse after doing the Marlin mod....

Veezy - Flowmaster - SAS - Locked - Super shiny Longs - 35" kevlar MT/Rs - Not enough armor
#3 Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Official TN Member

My hunch is that something prevented the Marlin Crawler bushing from seating down into the transmission. A piece from the old bushing, a casting burr, who knows? The shifters ball socket is now jammed into the bushing and you can't separate the two? When you pull the shifter out the ball socket is stuck to the bushing?

Marlin Crawler tells you that their two sizes of bushings covers all Toyota 5-speeds. Maybe they sent you the wrong part?

Installing the Marlin Crawler bushing in my 2WD '89 was a piece of cake once I learned how to remove the shifter from the transmission. A pair of water pump pliers and a downward twist did the trick. When installing the bushing in a '84 2WD 5-speed a lot of sanding / trimming of the bushing was necessary to allow it to even fit inside the opening.
#4 Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Hello guys,

I know this thread is old but I'd like to share some info to help future readers.

This is unfortunately a common issue where transmissions are ran for thousands of miles with badly worn or even absent of sockets, and the shift shoe has either become elongated or has developed sharp edges by direct shift handle ball end metal-to-metal contact with the shift shoe. In fact, about 1 out of every 10 transmission cores we get back from customers have this issue. Sometimes we are able to repair the shoes, but usually we completely replace them. This is why it is important to have long lasting sockets and why we use special hardened urethane that far outlasts the stock counterpart! Many people neglect the socket and end up having to tear their entire transmission apart just to replace the shift shoe.

As for the possibility that we sent flashkl the wrong socket, he would have known straight away. Our HD socket fits most top direct shifting Toyota transmissions this side of 1980. We do sell a stock Toyota socket that fits the side-shifting L43 4-speed, but it is smaller in diameter and also uses a smaller shift handle ball end. The L43 socket cannot possibly fit the ball end of a top shift handle, unless the ball end is grossly worn out from misuse! Also, the L43 socket would be incredibly loose in the top shift shoe and the shifter would flop all over the place.

The only thing I can recommend is to somehow remove our HD socket without damaging it, and run your finger around the rim of your shift shoe in the transmission. You will have to remove any sharp burs being careful to minimize how much metal falls into the transmission. If the shoe is elongated and really damaged, the only solution may be to have it replaced... You could try reshaping our socket to fit the damaged shoe, but that isn't the solution to the real problem at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V62WDLongbed View Post
When installing the bushing in a '84 2WD 5-speed a lot of sanding / trimming of the bushing was necessary to allow it to even fit inside the opening.
V62WDLongbed, are you referring to our HD shift socket or seat?

If you are referring to our socket, then the same applies as above. You must have had some burs or swelling on the shoe from many miles of use. I'd have to say it's probably smarter to have shaved our socket rather than risking metal contamination in the transmission by repairing the shift shoe.

If you are referring to our seat, then you should not have had to do this. Our seats fit all designated applications without any modifications needed. Your carbureted truck will have a G52 (or G54 depending on the month your truck was manufactured in '84) which is a direct plug-n-play application of our HD seat.

I will admit that at first glance the seat seems to not fit the shift base at all! Some people try to bend or squeeze our HD seat into position but the hardened urethane is not forgiving in this regard. We therefore have this animated image to show the proper lay-and-rotate method of installation:

Also please note that the stock black rubber insulator is discarded and no longer used with out HD seats. It is absent in the animation.

Please let me know if you guys have any additional questions! Wish I had been around here sooner!

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by MC_BigMike; 07-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MC_BigMike For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (07-01-2011)
#5 Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
New TN Abuser

(Thread Starter)
Wow, this is an old thread. BigMike, thanks for the reply, I don't even remember what I ended up doing but I remember for a fact it was the right part and the whole thing was just me being dumb. Put over 25k on the clock since I started this thread and everythings great!

#6 Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

#7 Old 07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Saving lives

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What did you do wrong?

1994 | Hilux | XCab | 22RE | W58 | 8"V6 | FX-R 3.0 5000K 35W | 18x10 + 275/35/18

89-95 Hilux Massive Truck Info

I need IS-F.
#8 Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
New TN Abuser

(Thread Starter)
hmmm i dont remember

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux