Toyota Nation Forum banner

Replacing 22re head gasket - what else?

31K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Moto83 
#1 ·
A couple months ago, my old '89 (22re - 181k miles - 83k of those are mine over 7 years) started getting losing coolant and getting hot. Fearing the worst, I drained the oil and found it was contaminated with coolant. I went out and bought a new '09 Tacoma and it's been great.

The '89's been just sitting since; it was my first vehicle and I'd like to see her running again. I'm hoping that the issue is just the head gasket so I'll be removing the head for a better look.

Providing the head is in good shape, I'm considering the following tasks:
  1. replace head gasket
  2. replace valve cover gasket (needed to do this for a while)
  3. valve adjustment (also needed for a while)
  4. timing chain (might as well while I'm there, right?)
  5. ???

QUESTIONS:

1) Are there any other tasks I should be considering as this project progresses? Comments on my existing list?

2) Can anyone recommend decent parts (i.e. head gasket, timing chain kit) -- Toyota or other?
(Fel-pro gaskets were recommended by my father based upon his experience years ago.)​

3) Recommend a vendor/website to order from?

I have the FSM PDF so I think I'm covered there. Any input on my above questions would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
i would first check the front timing cover to make sure your timing chain has not worn through the cover,that is a common thing that will happen to these engines.if you find the timing chain rails worn down of missing look good down into the front cover use a good bright light.if you find the plastic rails are broken missing,i would pull the front cover before pulling the head and check for wear in the aluminum cover.i had the same problem with mine.i also thought a head gasket and pulled the head first dumb thing but i learned.i broke one head bolt trying to remove the head.thank goodness i managed to get it out after pulling the head.but the gasket looked like new and was a lot of work for nothing.hope this helps.

#3 ·
i would first check the front timing cover to make sure your timing chain has not worn through the cover, ...
Thanks for the tip! Assuming that's all it is, I guess I wouldn't need to pull the head; I'd just need to pull the valve cover in order to investigate the guides, correct?

And if it that's what it is, it seems that I could replace the chain and guides with just the valve cover and timing chain cover off, right? Still no need to pull the head?

#8 ·
So now are you going to keep it, sell it or still donate it to charity?
If I get her running, my plan is to keep her. She's a bit of a beater, but she was my first. She doesn't have A/C, but the heater works awesome so I'll use her to save some miles on my '09 Tacoma, especially during the cooler months.

btw are there any better pics of the tracks? i wanna see them!
You asked, I delivered .... more pics below.

On the 3rd picture, I've noted a couple more area's of damage on the TC cover. I can only assume that as the chain was rounding the crank gear, it caused that damage as well. The red box indicates an area where a good chunk of metal was very obviously worn down. It's hard to see in the pic, but the green box shows an area with the same kind of tracks as the side of the cover has.

Additionally, there is evidence that the chain was making contact with the head starting at the point the distributor bolts in at. They don't seem that bad to me, but I'm definitely keeping it in the back of my mind as I put this thing back together.

Also, in the 4th pic, you can see the tensioner in action. I have no basis for comparison, but it certainly seems that it's taking up a lot of slack. Additionally, as the chain is rotated in place, the slack seems to transfer back and forth between the driver and the passenger side of the truck, which seemed kind of odd to me. Does that sound normal?

#11 ·
How long has the engine been sitting with water in the crankcase?

In most cases where water has been circulating throughout the engine, it will cause the internals to rust (especailly the bearings) if the problem isn't tackled quickly. If it has been sitting for more than a month, it becomes a gamble if the engine will run without problems in the near future. Just an FYI.

#13 ·
I made the mistake of putting my brandnew 22re together with a timing cover like that and after about the second day my brandnew engine was full of water and I damn near pulled the head luckily I pressurized the coolant system adn could see the water spraying from inside the cover. That was a lesson well learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.