Better gas mileage in the 22RE? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View wheelinchick90's Photo Gallery
Better gas mileage in the 22RE?

So I just got another truck. Go figure. Toyota hilux, 1990, 22RE (finally ), 4x4, 111k ORIGINAL miles, SR5, ex cab, and so forth. I obviously get a lot better mileage than I did in the V6 but how can I continue to improve it? Both of my other 90's (I have 3 now ) are the V6's so I am kind of new at the 4-banger. I saw a superchip thing on Ebay today and was just curious to what add-ons I could invest in for more hp and miles per gallon. Any ideas? I know quite a bit of people on here are fortunant to own a 22R or 22RE, so throw whatever you have done my way! Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Saving lives

Gameroom cash: $669330
Supreme Member
View IronNam's Photo Gallery
i wouldnt get a superchip. as long you take care of your truck and drive smoothly, you'll score good mpg. other than that dont carry around stuff that is heavy and that you dont need

89-95 Hilux Massive Truck Info

I need IS-F.
IronNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

View knj27's Photo Gallery
Don't get a superchip for this truck, that is a scam. And as far as power upgrades go, you will spend a lot of money to get very little extra power out of this motor. With out turbocharging, the max you can hope for is maybe 30 more hp, which is gonna cost thousands to do, not worth it to spend that much to go from a 14.5 second 0-60 to a 12 second one. If you're looking for a puchy ride, you got the wrong truck. And though some mods may give you small milage increases, they would take decades to pay for themselves. I say start yourself off with a small suspension lift and a locker, then romp the crap out of it (this is what I will be doing/have done).

Pick up a Magnaflow or (if you want to spend a couple more bucks and get something slightly louder) Flowmaster muffler from your local pep boys, and maybe a little larger tailpipe if you want your truck to sound better. Then again there is also the always available 30 dollar Cherry Bomb glasspack, garunteed to be loud enough to piss off the neighbors.

Other than that, give 'er a really thorough tune-up, including all filters, ignition parts, PCV valve (which may be a biatch to get out ), throttle body clean-out, valve adjustment, and a good dose of Seafoam. That oughta give you 2 or 3 more HP and 1 more mpg . Then leave the hp mods for later (or maybe never.)

Just echoing what I hear a lot on the forums and from others, as well as my own experience.

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E

Last edited by knj27; 09-27-2008 at 01:05 AM.
knj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Saving lives

Supreme Member
okay now that he brought the power equation into this thread.....

SUPRA SWAP!!!

they are 2.5-3.0L inline sixes with great power... amen... plus more tuning potential compared to our trucky engines.

phew, supra motor rampage done for today

I need IS-F.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

Well ya, but I was talking about keeping the 22re. And swapping a motor still is gonna cost a couple grand, if not more. But if you have the money to spend on it it would be sick...

Speaking of which, when are you swapping that Supra motor, Dubby boy?

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Saving lives

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by knj27 View Post
Well ya, but I was talking about keeping the 22re. And swapping a motor still is gonna cost a couple grand, if not more. But if you have the money to spend on it it would be sick...

Speaking of which, when are you swapping that Supra motor, Dubby boy?
>:O

the anticipation is really killing me.:headba ng:

interestingly, the slang term for Kansas is DubK!

anyways, i need to find a job() and motor...
but i know what i have in plan. so its job, restricted, motor, lsd, then i gues the rest would be traction solving problems

I need IS-F.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Yeah as far as ther superchip thing goes, I figured it was a scam but never hurt to ask. I also heard turboeing is hella spendy. And the supra motor, its crossed my mind. Maybe down the road though cause the new toy only has 111k miles. So not yet. Has anyone done the swap with the supra motor? Im pretty sure it would still pass emissions... For the muffler too, the one that is on there is practically brand new. Same with the cat. I actually live in Washington and I saw this truck on Craigslist in So. Cal and told my dad to get it. The cat and muffler were both stolen a week before it came up here which was earlier this month. But I would like to upgrade to a louder muffler of some sort. Speaking of which, is there any specific muffler that is loud and still sounds good for the 4-banger? Seafoam? Where would this be used at?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-08...mZ360092732906
Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Saving lives

Supreme Member
i would definetly stick witht eh stock motor for now, see how far it lasts, then see where you wanna go next.

I need IS-F.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View bman365's Photo Gallery
Seafoam can be used in many different ways..some you just dont want to use as much..so follow instruction on the can. It's used to break up carbon build ups..can clean injectors etc.

I wouldn't buy performance upgrades off ebay unless others can prove they work..or it's a good known brand. Alot of the knock off ebay stuff can screw your car up more.

I remember browsing through google or somewhere and saw a 1jz swap..still from the other supras and lexus sc300. It's just not the 2jz people know as a supra motor.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View bman365's Photo Gallery
Oh and anything to let the motor breathe better will gain gas mileage..like CAI. Stick to factory sized wheel/tires. Don't haul alot of heavy stuff. Shift at lower rpms and keep it low to get better mpg.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Saving lives

Supreme Member
if you ever got the time, pull off the upper intake manifold and see if it is clean. i pulled mine and scraped off that gunky stuff. and clean that throttle body too.

I need IS-F.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

Like I said in my other post, the Magnaflow universal mufflers will sound fairly good, and are inexpensive, but are not terribly loud and don't resonate in the cab all that much. Flowmaster 40 series also avoid sounding too ricey, and are louder, but are about 25-30 bucks more. A cherry bomb glasspack will be extremely inexpensive, and very loud, and will get louder over time as the packing gets blown out (I suppose if you kept it long enough you could eventually be basically straight-piped). A non glasspack cherry bomb will still be cheap and louder than the Magnaflow, though probably not quite the quality level. There are obviously many other muffler options out there, but these are the three that are extremely common to see on these trucks.

Seafoam is used to clean carbon out of the engine. I'm undecided as to whether all the smoke coming out the tailpipe when you use it in just the burning seafoam, or if it's really carbon buildup shooting out. It may be somewhat of a placebo affect, but I think it does help smooth the idle out a bit. The can will tell you to put some in your engine through a vacuum line, in the gas, and in the oil. 95% of owners of the older trucks will strongly reccomend not putting it in the oil, because, though it will clean out buildup and sludge, this sludge is likely blocking leaks, especially as the motor continues to age, so the performace benefits (which will most likely be inpercievable) don't outweight the risk of creating oil leaks. Using it the other two ways is perfectly harmless, though. The simplest thing to do is to go to your local Autozone, buy a can for like 7 bucks (two if you want to really get silly with it), and dump half the can into a paper cup. Then pull the main vacuum line off the brake booster, and with the engine running, slowly suck the seafoam in through the vacuum line (you may need to give it some gas when in bogs out). Then dump the other can into about a 1/4 tank of gas. Then let the truck sit for 10 or 15 minutes, start 'er up and rev it for a little while (outside as smoke will pour out your exhaust; this is OK). Then drive around for a while pretending to be James Bond with a smokescreen. Drive 30 or 40 miles before you fill up again, to burn off some of the Seafoamed gas, which is supposed to help clean injectors. If you bought two cans, just pour the whole second can in the gas. This is a good procedure to follow ever few months to keep your engine running smooth. Maybe do it whenever you change your oil, just as a suggestion.

Hope this helps!

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E

Last edited by knj27; 09-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Saving lives

Supreme Member
or first of all, pull your valve cover, if everything under there is pretty clean, seafoam will be safe. but if it's clunky as hell, DONT. thats all

and as for the gas tank, that cleans your fuel line and delivery, the vacuum lines take it to the manifold to clean the manifold.

I need IS-F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux