Clutch adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View knj27's Photo Gallery
Clutch adjustment

My clutch seems quite low as it continues to wear out, and seeing as it is a hydraulic clutch I would assume there is not option for adjusting it via the clutch cable. Will adjusting the pedal height help at all? Is there anything else like maybe bleeding the slave cylinder or something that would help? Any and all advice is appreciated.

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
knj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
When you say low, do you mean it engage low or the pedal itself is low? Have you check the fluid level or check for leak?

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

Yes, I mean the engagement/disengagement point is too low. And the fluid is full and I don't know of any leaks. Hopefully that helps.

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by knj27 View Post
Yes, I mean the engagement/disengagement point is too low. And the fluid is full and I don't know of any leaks. Hopefully that helps.
Have you had any repair work done recently that is related to the clutch? Like clutch master or slave cylinder? Does the pedal feel like it is flexing a little more than usual?

As the clutch wears the engagement point should have move up instead of down and you will also notice that the pedal maybe a little heavier to push. If you don't see any leak, you may want to make sure the bracket when the pedal is mounted is not cracked or loose.

N.E.O.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

Hmm...nothing has changed in terms of maintnence, the pedal has a fair bit of freeplay but it's not ridiculous. And I don't think I would say that the pedal has gotten stiffer at all. Just seems like you have to push the clutch hard to be able to shift decently at all, and even then my 15 year old tranny isn't exactly pulling off Ferrari F1 shifts. It's not really that big of a deal, seems about like how driving a 15 year old pickup truck would be, it's just the clutch being a little fruity...

Is the adjustment of the pedal height done via an adjusting bolt up under the dash area? Cuz the FSM says to test the pedal height by trying to push the shifter into gear with the clutch out, slowly push the clutch in, measure the distance left to go once the gears stop grinding, you should have at least and inch left to go. Pretty sure I don't pass that one, based on my quicky test. Maybe that's the place to start? Thanks again.

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Did you start having this condition recently or has it been like that for a long time?

You can adjust the master cylinder push rod to change that, if it has been like that for a while.

Did you check the mounting bracket?

N.E.O.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Procrastinating on TN

The clutch has always seemed a bit low, but it seems to be getting worse over time. How do you "adjust the master cylinder push rod"?

'93 Pickup 4x4 22R-E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux