Engine skip/vibration - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View edward.mccaskey's Photo Gallery
Engine skip/vibration

My 91 Toyota pickup has a small skip approximately every 2 seconds at idle an it causes the engine to vibrate. It is most noticeable at idle, but you can also really feel it at around 60 mph. I thought it was the wheel balance or alignment but all of that has been checked. You can feel it all over the truck when driving. It stll drives good, but it's just annoying and I want to fix it. It's not severe enough to keep it from running but definitely annoying. Hope someone has an idea.
edward.mccaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
Start with telling us a little bit more about your truck, mileage, engine, how it is maintained, what repair have you done so far, and diagnosis you have done towards this problem.

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

It's a 22RE with 108K miles. I bought it used around 103K miiles. It was probably maintained by the dealer before I bought it, but I like to do my own maintenance, so I'm unsure what has been done before. Since I've owned it, I've replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, air filter, had the valve clearance adjusted, and ran several bottles of injector cleaner through it. It's a very clean and surprisingly pampered truck for its age so it's probably in really good shape, nothing major wrong.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Was the problem there before the ignition system parts replacement and the valve adjustment? Or did you make those repair to correct this condition?

N.E.O.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Those are the things that I did to correct the problem. I also had the wheels balanced twice and the tires aligned thinking that that was the source of the problem. I thought the idle was just low and now I've realized that the vibration seems to be the engine. It's frequency gets higher as you increase speed/rpm so you don't notice it as much while driving at normal speeds. Between 60-65 it seems to come back, then mellows back out around 70. Like I said it's not a huge vibe, but definitely annoying and something I want to figure out and fix.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Have you look at the engine mounts to make sure that they are not collapsed and coming in contact with the frame? Can you describe this vibration that you are feeling at high speed? What does it feel like, a miss, a rumble, or ?

N.E.O.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $771385
View V62WDLongbed's Photo Gallery
Make sure your TPS is adjusted correctly. If it isn't you'll never be able to properly set your timing. Just to eliminate the possibility that your miss is a bad spark plug or wire connect your timing light to each wire and check for misfires.
V62WDLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

I'll check the mounts, tps sensor and spark plug wires next. It feels like a miss and it's fairly rythmic as if it does it at the same point every time and the frequency seems to correlate to the rpm so at higher rpms it's less noticeable. At idle / a stoplight you feel the truck rock very very slightly. At high speeds it feels like a low frequency vibration or rumble throughout the truck. You feel it in the seat of your pants as well as your hands. It's fairly uniform throughout the truck.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Keep us posted on you findings!

N.E.O.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Motor mounts are fine, adjusted tps and ignition timing and the truck runs a little smoother, but problem is not gone. Checked all the plug wires with a timing light and they are all fine. I've noticed now, that the truck is a little hesitant mostly accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear. The rumble is still present at idle but a little smoother and the rumble/vibration is still present around 65-75. I'm wondering if part of it might be the drive shaft and u-joints although they don't seem loose. Can the driveshaft be balanced? I still think there is a problem with the engine. It still runs decent, but it seems almost as if the motor is choked a little bit at higher rpms. I'm going to check the volume air flow meter next, but what is so strange is that I'm not getting any trouble codes. Can I have an air/fuel mixture problem without getting any trouble codes? I'm not really sure what to check next.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View maxpower_hd's Photo Gallery
Did the engine skip while you were doing the testing on the wires? My feeling is that you may have two different issues and occasionally they happen at the same time.

1. You said you changed all the tune up parts but you did not mention the wires. Were those replaced as well? If not, do you have a spare wire you can swap out in each position for testing? I keep spares in my garage just for that reason. I've had bad wires right out of a brand new box before, although it doesn't typically happen with a good brand. The coil or the connection to it could also be a culprit.

2. I would suspect that the vibration/rumble at 60 mph is in the drive line somewhere, most likely the u-joints. However you said they didn't seem loose. Can you see ANY play in them when trying to turn the shaft? They don't have to be really far gone to vibrate.

Did you pull the engine codes or just look for a CEL light? Sorry but I had too ask.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

I did replace the plug wires as well. I did get trouble code 13 it seems although I did not have a CE light. I figured since their was not a light that there was not a malfunction. I followed the book and nothing matched the absence of a CE light and a code of 1 long flash followed by 3 quick flashes on the check engine light. All this being said I checked the distributor this morning and the pick-up coil was reading 211 ohms with the tolerance being 205 to 250. I don't think the ecm is bad because the truck still runs quite well, minus this skip/vibration. I feel like the vibration feels like the engine being choked or a skip in the fire, so I checked the Volume airflow meter and the resistance read 941 ohms and the tolerance is 200-400. I'm thinking this might be it, but I don't feel confident in these tests that the chilton manual tells you to do. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
What were you checking to get the 941 Ohms resistance? What terminals?

Did you try to put the transmission in neutral for the vibration you were feeling in high speed and see if it changes?

N.E.O.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View maxpower_hd's Photo Gallery
The FSM says code 13 indicates open NE circuit for 300 milliseconds. This is, I believe, the distributor circuit.

So far: the cap and rotor are new and still you are having issues. The coil itself tested OK. There is a test for the ECM in the FSM but I agree with you that is probably not it. I've only seen them either work or not but anything is possible. I would recommend getting a helper to assist with the ECM test. It's also easier if you have alligator clips on your multi-meter. How does the wiring from the coil to the distributor look? Not the coil wire but the harness connectors. Is it possible you have one loose pin or maybe some corrosion in one of the plugs?

I would think the MAF would cause it to run bad more consistently or not run at all. Although I don't have much experience with them since I've never had one go bad.

I just had another thought. While it is running, spray some starting fluid (just a mist) around the entire length of the air intake and see if there is a leak. I remember my daughter's Celica did something like this and I didn't figure it out until it got worse. On hers, the rubber boot connecting the intake to the TB cracked underneath where you couldn't see it and it would suck in air, but only at certain RPMs. Until it got worse that is. However, she did not get a code.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

Okay I changed the VAF sensor or in newer models known as the mass airflow sensor. The rumble is now fairly consistent at idle now as opposed to being intermittent and still present at high speeds. I did push the clutch in at high speeds to test the drive train, but immediately the rumble went back to the same frequency as at idle, so I'm pretty convinced it is an engine issue. I also noticed that when the truck is cold the problem isn't present at idle. I think the fault code 13 was old because I removed the negative battery cable to reset the system and no fault codes are present now. I've now noticed that there is a slight lag in lower rpm acceleration as if the truck is reluctant to accelerate as well as what feels like surging. I've now checked the tps, VAF sensor, plug wires are good, distributor is good, plugs are good and I now have no fault codes. My next thought was the Idle air control valve, fuel injectors, or O2 sensor. I can check the O2 sensor with a multimeter and IAC also, but I'm going to save the injectors for last. I will check for leaks like you said when I take the TB off to clean and check it. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux