90 3.0 v6 oil leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Workin Toy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View BSDeality's Photo Gallery
90 3.0 v6 oil leak

I just picked up a 3.0 with a slight oil leak. Its coming from somewhere on the driverside by the oil filter or oil pan. Are there any common problems that I should jump to first? I still have to get under it with the pressure washer to get off years of oil/grime/sand to get a better look at where its coming from.

The guy had just changed the oil/filter before i got it I don't think its coming from the filter since that is tight. it looks like changing the oil pan gasket is a PITA.
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View Jreb10's Photo Gallery
I have heard that the oil cooler has been known to leak on the 3VZE. It is a round disk-like thing on the lower driver's side on the block.

Also, I think the oil pan is sealed by FIPG (form in place gasket), so it is difficult to remove. I would not remove it unless I was certain it was the source of the leak.
Jreb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Workin Toy

thanks for the heads up on the OP gasket. I will crawl under there in the next couple days and see if its the oil cooler.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Workin Toy

just as an update. I brought the truck home from my shop today to degrease/pressure wash it since my landlord turned off the water for the winter...

I must have taken 10lbs of grease/grime/dirt/sand off the bottom and there's still 5 more lbs worth up there. I warmed the engine back up, then drove it to air dry and crawled under expecting to find the oil comin' down like it had been for the last couple days. Drive it up on ramps, slide under there and there is NO oil anywhere. It just mysteriously stopped leaking. The only thing I can think of is the grime was acting as a sponge and it was just oozing out of it when it was warming up. I'm going to keep my eye on it and the oil level for the next few weeks to make sure.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View evtiska's Photo Gallery
Welcome to hell. My '91 did the same thing. I couldn't for the life of me find the leak, it seemed to go away for periods of time. I thought it was the oil pan gasket because sometimes if I braked hard with a high oil level I would get out to find it dripping down the front of the pan.

All this happened just before my front crank seal gave up the ghost and started pissing oil at a steady rate. I lived with a 5qts-a-week leak in the truck for 6 months til I was fed up and had some time. I sucked it up and replaced the front crank seal, baffle plate seal, oil pan seal, oil pump & seal, and oil cooler gasket. It was a huge PITA but you might as well take it all on if your front main goes.

I can't tell you how nice it is to have a drip-free truck.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $371855
View sb5walker's Photo Gallery
When my truck's PS gearbox was leaking fluid for years on end before I finally broke down and did something about it - the fluid got all over the engine in the area you described. If your steering shaft looks wet where it's entering the gearbox try newspaper under the vehicle and see if it's red.

On the other hand, I did manage to spring an oil pan leak about 10 years back too. Happened immediately after putting Mobil 1 in there. I've heard from others that all Mobil oils can cause leaks. I waited until I needed a new clutch before replacing the pan sealant. What a pita. If it's the pan be sure to use the proper Toyota sealant which is the gray stuff, I believe.

My only other leak area is at the back of the valve covers - when you change those, seal the new gasket with toyota BLACK sealant both above and below and around the plug in the back (you don't need much). It's the only way I got the right rear valve cover area to stop leaking, though now 7 years later, I see the left rear cover's starting to seep a bit...
sb5walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Always a Yota Driver

View Erki's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5walker View Post
When my truck's PS gearbox was leaking fluid for years on end before I finally broke down and did something about it - the fluid got all over the engine in the area you described. If your steering shaft looks wet where it's entering the gearbox try newspaper under the vehicle and see if it's red.

On the other hand, I did manage to spring an oil pan leak about 10 years back too. Happened immediately after putting Mobil 1 in there. I've heard from others that all Mobil oils can cause leaks. I waited until I needed a new clutch before replacing the pan sealant. What a pita. If it's the pan be sure to use the proper Toyota sealant which is the gray stuff, I believe.

My only other leak area is at the back of the valve covers - when you change those, seal the new gasket with toyota BLACK sealant both above and below and around the plug in the back (you don't need much). It's the only way I got the right rear valve cover area to stop leaking, though now 7 years later, I see the left rear cover's starting to seep a bit...
Mines either leaking on the rear of the valve covor or the intake mani. cant see for sure yet. Im gonna tackle that this weekend hopefully. Been gettin pretty bad lately
Erki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
JAndJCustom

View J&JCustom's Photo Gallery
I have 89 with a V-6 and I have a phantom oil leak that was from the Valve cover and it would not leak all the time. I finally got tired of it and tore the intake and valve covers off and found the leak it only leaked after an oil change when the oil was full. You can always use a dye that you can pick up at any autoparts store and put in your oil. It comes with a flashlight and glasses so you can shine the light on the block and wear the glasses and find the leak because it reacts to the light. It works real well give it a go.
J&JCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux