Toyota Nation Forum banner

High idle?

9K views 44 replies 4 participants last post by  IronNam 
#1 ·
I just read the FAQ sticky and didn't see my exact problem.
When I start the truck cold It idles at about 700 for 30 seconds then rises quickly to about 2500. After either waiting ten minutes or driving for a few minutes it goes back to about 700 and chills.
No jumping, or anything weird when I apply the brakes.

When I bought it it had a sticky throttle, so I cleaned it out and played with the idle screw and the sticky throttle went away. I've also recently replaced the air filter and the oil is fairly new.

I'm thinking maybe vacuum leak? But I dunno how to check for those. Maybe spark plugs, but I don't know how they would affect the idle.

#35 ·
eh.... my last destination would to pull out my intake manifold system. take it apart, scrub it all out, make sure all ports are good, make sure the air idle ports and what not are clear and clean.... i dont think seafoam will help everything. Find a metal toothbrush, and your throttle body is good the way you said so... I don't know what else is wrong...

try pulling EFI fuse off for a while sometime... reset... or not

#40 ·
Sounds like one of the components has decided to disassemble itself. I'm not familiar with their internal construction enough to know for sure, but whatever it is, it probably will need to be replaced.

The clogged EGR could indeed be causing the lean/hot running problem, so, good catch. :thumbsup:

#41 ·
Thing is that it isn't large enough to fit through the nipple. I think that it was there to clog the EGR when enough pressure was introduced. Say WOT, because it is said to not serve a function when at WOT right? Either way I don't intend on going WOT so I don't think it serves me any good. If my assumption about it is correct.

#43 ·
BB as in ammo. I dunno what the deal is, but it would clog the nipple if enough pressure were introduced.

I put it back together and the idle wasn't what I expected. It rose quickly, stopped at the top and dropped quickly. The EGR pipe was hot though; well I did give the truck a hell of a run. But I think it's working now. I'll take it easy tomorrow and check it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.