93 pickup, changed belt and now it won't start - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View kerbe6's Photo Gallery
93 pickup, changed belt and now it won't start

I just changed the fan belt on my 93 pickup and now it won't start. The engine will turn over just fine but it acts as if it is completely out of gas. I know for sure that the plugs are firing. I've tried taking the belt off and it still won't start...so I obviously messed something up somehow.

What do you think?
kerbe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
OLD SCHOOL

View xsvtoyz's Photo Gallery
the fan belt was the object for you being under the hood but is not your no start issue. if it cranks then its either fuel or fire and you probably knocked a connection loose. did you disconnect the battery? check the fuses and fusible links. pull a plug and set it on the valve cover while attacked to the wire a look for spark. oops you said you have spark. did you make sure you didnt knock the maf wires loose down by the air filter? check for loose vacuum hoses. and yes still check the fuses and links

Last edited by xsvtoyz; 03-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
xsvtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

I removed the distributor so that I had some room to work, but it's all put back together. I did not disconnect the battery. Like I said, the engine turns over, and the plugs are firing. I've searched high and low for any wires I may have left disconnected and can't find any. There are only a few fuses in this thing and they all are just fine.

Last edited by kerbe6; 03-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
OLD SCHOOL

well its almost definitely a timing issue set the crank at tdc and aim the rotor at #1
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

pardon my ignorance, but how would I do those things? I can swap parts just fine but I don't know much more about cars than that.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
OLD SCHOOL

OK
the big pulley at the bottom is the crank pulley look for a small line near the motor and then look for marks on the motor itself. the line should line up with the 0 mark on the motor this should be top dead center or TDC if not then turn it till it does and yes exact is best. find plug #1 and remove the dist cap and make sure it points to #1. the cylinders are numbered look at the valve covers and they should have 1 3 5 and 2 4 6 on them and the 1 is closest to the radiator. I believe #1 is on the drivers side. follow the plug wire to the cap and mark it with something. pen/ soap /nail polish whatever doesnt matter just so you know which it is.
if its a 4 banger then it just got tons easier same basic approach but #1 is the first plug.

Last edited by xsvtoyz; 03-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.
xsvtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View War10ck's Photo Gallery
You might have kicked the oil pressure sensor wire off by accident.
War10ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Well, little did I know, the distributor needs to be put on in just the right position for the timing to be right. I adjusted it and everything's running great. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View blue934x4's Photo Gallery
No offense, but it seems to me that the level of ignorance in anything automotive in this forum is increasing exponentially....if you have no clue as what you are doing... leave it alone, or ask BEFORE you try to "fix" things. Not knowing that you have to have the distributor in the proper position in order for the engine to run is really, really bad. Find someone who knows what they are doing and ask BEFORE you start "fixing" things.
blue934x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View moldycheese's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue934x4 View Post
No offense, but it seems to me that the level of ignorance in anything automotive in this forum is increasing exponentially....if you have no clue as what you are doing... leave it alone, or ask BEFORE you try to "fix" things. Not knowing that you have to have the distributor in the proper position in order for the engine to run is really, really bad. Find someone who knows what they are doing and ask BEFORE you start "fixing" things.
but where is the fun in that? everyone has done something like that in there life. as long as you learn from your mistakes, then there is no harm done
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View blue934x4's Photo Gallery
"but where is the fun in that? everyone has done something like that in there life. as long as you learn from your mistakes, then there is no harm done"

I guess you never broke something really expensive or got hurt because you dove in before knowing what you were doing?

My point was and is, that if just ask first, you can save yourself, or others or your vehicle a lot of time and damage, and money or both. What happens if you "fix" something that comes apart while you are driving and you hit someone? Good luck explaining that you were "just learning from your mistakes" in court.
blue934x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
OLD SCHOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue934x4 View Post
"but where is the fun in that? everyone has done something like that in there life. as long as you learn from your mistakes, then there is no harm done"

I guess you never broke something really expensive or got hurt because you dove in before knowing what you were doing?

My point was and is, that if just ask first, you can save yourself, or others or your vehicle a lot of time and damage, and money or both. What happens if you "fix" something that comes apart while you are driving and you hit someone? Good luck explaining that you were "just learning from your mistakes" in court.
wow so much for leaning on this site
Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View marty_rk's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsvtoyz View Post
wow so much for leaning on this site
Ya no kidding, if I never dove into anything, I wouldn't be where I am at now. Either way, the act of attempting anything is awesome! Props to kerbe for doing something yourself, can't be a body builder on the first day!

And while we are at it, whats the point of having forums when you dig up something old like from 2005 and someone comments on the fact that its old and then yells at someone for making a new thread about something in the archives? pick your wars people!
marty_rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Well, now that I've made that mistake and learned a pretty good deal about how engine timing works, I still can't seem to get this thing running correctly. I've set my crank pulley at TDC and installed the distributor with the rotor at 11:00 (plug 1) and it won't start at all. However, if I turn the rotor 180 degrees it will start fine.

It doesn't run great though and misfires once it's warmed up and under load. the warmer it gets the more it misfires. When it's cold it runs great. Also, even when warm, I can gradually rev it up really high in neutral (no load) without any misfires. But then if I suddenly jam down on the gas pedal it will sputter.. The plug wires are definitely going to the correct plugs (1 2 3 4 from front to back on a 22re, right?).

Last edited by kerbe6; 03-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

Ok scratch that. I can indeed start it at TDC with rotor at 11:00, I think I just had it a tooth off before. However, it's still misfiring under load when warm.

As far as I can tell I have the distributor adjusted about as well as I can. I can pull it out and rotate the rotor clockwise one tooth and put it back in and it will run best when the dist body is adjusted all the way up, or I can pull it out and rotate the rotor counterclockwise one tooth and have it run best when the dist body is adjusted all the way down. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any middle ground, where it runs best when the dist body is centered along the adjustment track.

Last edited by kerbe6; 03-17-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux