A340H automatic transmission rebuild - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
A340H automatic transmission rebuild

Anyone rebuilt an auto tranny before -- specifically an A340E, A340F, or A340H. The FSM shows how to take out the valve assemblies, but not the gears or friction plates. Before I go out and guy a stinkin auto tranny manual, has anyone had the experience of this rebuild before?

I've sifted through the Internet and nobody has discussed the friction plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Or better yet ... what passenger's side drop transfer case will fit on an A340F?
#3 Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I hope you realize that countless owners who think they need a new auto tranny actually only need new electronic shift control solenoids. Transmission slippage is just about the only reason one would need to rebuild an auto tranny. Wierd shifting behavior or failure of some gear ranges is caused by bad solenoids
#4 Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yep... I know that. The only problem is, it slips only in reverse. In the forward gears, it doesn't slip. What's funny is that once 4WD is engaged, it has absolutely NO slippage at all. It's like the torque is multiplied by 10.
#5 Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Official TN Member

I've rebuilt a few simpler autos, and spent a fair amount of time looking at the application charts, and schematics of the A340H. In short, I wouldn't recommend this (overhaul) at all without a thorough understanding of electricity, hydraulics, and the FSM. Without these basics, your chances of finding the problem(s) with the unit dissassembled are slim to none. For example, you might replace your clutches because they are burned from slippage, yet fail to notice a hairline scratch in a valve-bore, or improperly adjusted throttle valve that caused this result. In the end, this could cause your overhaul kit, not to mention all the hard work, to go up in smoke in a matter of minutes.

Additionally, you would probably require a few special fixtures / tools, not to mention the cost of an overhaul kit, that make this cost prohibitive for the do-it-yourselfer... There really is good reason for qualified shops outsourcing this type of work to specialty, transmission shops.
#6 Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I figured that ... what scares and puts me off the most is the being disappointed in a matter of seconds after a week's long build. I've already talked to a friend who has a tranny guy. He's going to get a price for me and if it's not outrageously expensive, I'm just going to let the guy take it to his tranny guy.
#7 Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Official TN Member

I was not trying to suggest that your transmission does need to be overhauled, just giving my two cents the task itself.

Is the transmission still in the vehicle? If so, cover the basics first.

1. Drive around and get it up to operating temperature. On a level surface, check the fluid level with the engine running and the selector in Park. Make sure that the transmission is full, and not overfilled. If you must add fluid, be sure to use Dexron III as per the FSM. Other fluids have different friction qualities that can have adverse effects on operation.

2. Examine the fluid. Is it a nice, transluscent red, or is it maroon, brown or black? Does it smell burnt? Feel it; is it gritty between your fingers (this would be friction/clutch material). If the fluid is anything other than clean, and red, a flush / filter change may be in order. It is important to do this completely, and correctly to insure you get all of the old fluid out of the transmission, as well as the torque converter, transmission cooler, and lines. By simply dropping the pan, you would only exchange about half the fluid.

If the transmission is still in the vehicle, and you want to take it to the tranny guy, leave it in the vehicle. Even if the unit does require overhaul, having the ability to diagnose the problem in the vehicle is huge. He can actually know what he is looking for before he takes it apart. In the end, it may be something as simple as a leaking vacuum line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux