1990 Idle Speed Adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1990 Idle Speed Adjustment

My 1990 4WD Pickup (22RE, 3rd owner) has an adjustment screw at the air intake of the injection system. Iíve used it to adjust the idle speed, but the screw is very loose and vibrates out of adjustment easily. My temporary solution is a tiny dab of JB Weld epoxy on the edge to hold it in place.
It seems to me that there should be an o-ring or something like that on the screw to provide friction and hold the setting, but Iím reluctant to pull the screw out until I already know whatís inside. None of my Haynes of Chilton manuals show this screw, and even the Toyota dealership was unable to show me a diagram, so I couldnít even order a part.
Does anyone else have any experience with this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Official TN Member

By default, it should be screwed all the way in. I bet your timing is off. Have it looked at by a pro...it should not cost you an arm and a leg.
#3 Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Not a Pre-runner

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
i read on yotatech there is a o ring under it that if it deteriorates, will cause the screw to loosen up on its own and idle to bounce around.

'94 Pickup: Std Cab, 22RE, 5spd, 2wd
Front: Total Chaos Uniball Kit, Fox 8''Coilovers, Custom Engine Cage, Hannemann Fenders,
REAR: Deaver F67 Leafs, Fox 14''Shocks, Custom Bed Cage, Glassworks Bedsides, Tacoma E-locker Axle 4:88 31x10.5 BFG AT Tires
#4 Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Sid, I'll try to locate yotatech. I hope a deteriorated o-ring doesn't clog something up in the injection system!
And thanks too Zacharia, but that doesn't sound right. My timing is spot on and I check it regularly. And if I put the screw in too far the idle speed reduces and the engine dies, and I can't reset the timing if the engine won't run. Besides, the timing is completly independent of the fuel system, so it doesn't make sense to me that it's a timing problem. She runs smoothly and gets good mileage otherwise.
#5 Old 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Not a Pre-runner

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/idle-ai...number-200615/

'94 Pickup: Std Cab, 22RE, 5spd, 2wd
Front: Total Chaos Uniball Kit, Fox 8''Coilovers, Custom Engine Cage, Hannemann Fenders,
REAR: Deaver F67 Leafs, Fox 14''Shocks, Custom Bed Cage, Glassworks Bedsides, Tacoma E-locker Axle 4:88 31x10.5 BFG AT Tires
#6 Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again Twisted Sid for the link to YotaTech.
From the photo of the screw in one message, it looks like the screw itself is the air "valve", rather than attaching to a mechanism that moves something else. I still haven't seen an exploded diagram of that part of my truck, but it sounds like there's no danger of something going "sproing!" that can't be put back together inside the air intake if the screw is completely withdrawn.
The same message has a link to a place to get screw and o-ring for $4.95, so I'll do that.
#7 Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Official TN Member

"technically" on a 22re you should not have to adjust the idle at all. the computer is supposed to adjust it for you. usually if the idle is off, you probably have another issue such as timing (or the o-ring thing)...as mentioned above.

1994 Regular Cab Pickup, 22re, 5 speed, SAS, 4.88s, ARBs, 33s, and a sweet antenna spring
#8 Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
YOTA Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As equipped from the factory, the 22RE never had electronic idle control.

There is an auxillary air valve attached to the bottom of the throttle that provides for cold idle and as the coolant that passes through it warms up, it closes. There is an idle air bypass screw located on the throttle that is there soully for the purpose of adjusting the idle, which is necessary occasionally as the throttle collects some dirt, or the throttle shaft wears over time. If it has to be screwed all the way in then there is something wrong, such as an improperly adjusted throttle stop, stuck open auxillary air valve, bad A/C idle valve, etc...

There is also a vacuum operated valve on the plenum that allows for a slight increase in idle speed when the A/C is on if it is so equipped. A Vacuum switching valve located on the valve cover sends vacuum to that valve when there is power to the A/C clutch.

The Idle air bypass screw can be taken out, as it is simply a fat screw with a tapered end. The o-ring that is there not only provides some friction, but it also seals the threads. You could use most any o-ring that will fit around it and allow for some friction to keep it from vibrating loose. I would recommend appling some silicone grease such as Sil-Glide to the oring when you reassemble it so that it will continue to move freely for years after replacement.

More information on this topic can be found in the engine controls portion of the Toyota Factory Service Manual, or on the Toyota Information System (TIS) if you have a subscription.

Don't talk about it, Just do it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux