Funny Front End Noises 1992 Pickup 4x4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Toughness Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Funny Front End Noises 1992 Pickup 4x4

Hey everybody,
Name's Andy, and I'm a new member and long time Toyota lover. My family had a 1990 camry 4WD that was a real mountain goat, and a 1990 4Runner 22RE SR5 2 door that both got me into Toyota. I have a 1992 4WD pickup with extended cab and the 3VZE engine. It's only got 149K on it! she runs like a top and I love it, I'll be keeping her until she blow up and then some.

I have a few questions for you experts. Mine has the ADD hubs in it and I am starting to think they may be the source of a loud noise my truck makes when I turn the steering wheel to full lock on the left or right side. When the front wheels are turned fully left or right and I drive forward there is a loud clunking/screeching sound, it's hard to describe. It sounds like rusty metal grinding on rusty metal. It's possible it's the suspension making the noise, I am not sure. has anyone had a similar experience? The sound is not continuous.

Second, either the belt or one of the engine accessories is making a nearly continuous sound that you could compare to a slipping power steering belt noise. I think it MAY be the water pump but again I'm not sure. About half of the 4Runners and pickups I have seen of the same age make this sound, mine is just a bit louder. Any tips there?

Thanks for any advice. Is anyone on here from the Okanagan valley and if so can you recommend a decent mechanic?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy_92; 04-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Official TN Member

its your steering stops. the plastic caps wear out. small metal studs you can get new caps but it will only be temporary just out a bad of grease on eash one. 2 on each side one in front one in back. im assuming anyway its very common and a very simple cheap fix. im a 22re guy so idk on question two but just give it some time.read the must read section youll prob find your answer and more on the stops.
The Following User Says Thank You to tpaine14 For This Useful Post:
Andy_92 (04-13-2010)
#3 Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Toughness Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
steering stops now greased!

how tough is it to swap to manual hubs from the ADD system?
#4 Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Official TN Member

i dont believe its to awful involved look it up on here or yotatech and youll find the answer. but theres people on here that know.
#5 Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Official TN Member

#6 Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Official TN Member

or this http://www.yotatech.com/f116/d-d-manual-hubs-206755/ theres more details in other threads but if this doesnt cover it youll at least get pointed in the right direction for a write up. just dont go on there and ask again. its a fairly common question i think and some people over there get a little harsh when asked questions multiple times. welcome to toyotanation btw.
The Following User Says Thank You to tpaine14 For This Useful Post:
Andy_92 (04-13-2010)
#7 Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Toughness Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the leads, been a huge help.
man I love these trucks
#8 Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Supafly

squealing belts are pretty common on 3vze's especially if you get aftermarket belts. Normally aftermarket belts are like 1-3" too long.

The steering pump belt is the worst, pretty hard to get good tension on it..

As for hubs, go grab some aisin manual hubs from a 1986-1995 pickup or 4runner, direct swap. Takes all of 15 mins a side for a noob

1991 Pickup - 3vze - 4x4 - SR5 - 5sp- 270k.
Currently in street DD mode

www.cardomain.com/ride/2572486
#9 Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Official TN Member

Hey Andy, I bought my 94 4x4 last year and I too have already addressed a couple of these issues. First off for the loud noise coming from the steering stops, I cut four pieces of heavy duty 1/2 inch heater hose about 1 and a half inches long, and pushed each piece on over each steering stop and used a ty-rap to keep them in place. There should a small amount of hose protruding out past the end of the steering stop, which I filled with a heavy duty hard grease. This took care of the noise. As for the ADD hubs, I had a problem with mine where the front end was staying engaged all the time. I corrected this by buying a set of used manual hubs for a 100 bucks, should be from a 89 to 94 4x4, and installing them, takes maybe an hour each side depending how hard the small cone washers are to get off.
#10 Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Toughness Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
[quote=Jayota;3158017]squealing belts are pretty common on 3vze's especially if you get aftermarket belts. Normally aftermarket belts are like 1-3" too long.

/quote]

Ok.
I have 149,000 km on mine. I have no idea if the timing belt has been done.
I have been told that if I do the timing belt I may as well go with a new water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys, belts and thermostat. What do you guys think? What's a reasonable price to do this work and what kind of time would it take me to do myself? I'm handy with wrenches, I spend lots of time working on my mini-fleet of 70's motorcycles.
#11 Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
One with the force

the cone washers are EASY to get off !!! almost 'self removal' !

back the nuts almost off- tap the hub on the side / beside the cone washers- they will pop out !!!!!! (i say to leave the nuts on, cause the cone washers will pop off and get lost ! )

also found on TinBenders.org
Pirate4x4.com
92 22RE x-cab 4x
and a 86 22RET as a 'truggie' rock crawler
pics in photo gallery-- Krusty
#12 Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayota View Post
squealing belts are pretty common on 3vze's especially if you get aftermarket belts. Normally aftermarket belts are like 1-3" too long.

Ok.
I have 149,000 km on mine. I have no idea if the timing belt has been done.
I have been told that if I do the timing belt I may as well go with a new water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys, belts and thermostat. What do you guys think? What's a reasonable price to do this work and what kind of time would it take me to do myself? I'm handy with wrenches, I spend lots of time working on my mini-fleet of 70's motorcycles.

A new water pump is always a good idea. The idler and tensioner pulleys shouldn't need to be replaced on a motor with that little mileage. If they sound bad then replace them.

Getting it down to the timing belt is a pretty time consuming job so that's why most places will recommend to change those parts.

A first timer, well.. probably a day or two with some breaks, depending how much you have done on your 3.0 prior to this. You gotta remove a lot of parts to get room in there.

#13 Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
the cone washers are EASY to get off !!! almost 'self removal' !

back the nuts almost off- tap the hub on the side / beside the cone washers- they will pop out !!!!!! (i say to leave the nuts on, cause the cone washers will pop off and get lost ! )

My method is to smack the outside of the hub (not very hard) and then use a small long flat head inserted into the cone washer slit, tap it a few times and pull it out. Easy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux