Oil Pressure sending unit question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Jeremy_C's Photo Gallery
Oil Pressure sending unit question

90 toyota 22re. My oil pressure gauge usually stays in the middle, but today during a 70+ mile trip, it started hovering between nothing and the mark past it.

Today when I started it, same thing, but went to very very low fast. I've searched around quite a bit and I'm thinking its the oil pressure sending unit.

My truck is using oil, but not smoking or anything. I can frequently smell oil burning on the motor, is that a sign the sending unit is bad? From what I can see and feel, it doesn't feel wet with oil in the area.

Last edited by Jeremy_C; 05-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $371855
View sb5walker's Photo Gallery
Smelling burning oil is usually a sign of a valve cover leak. It leaks on the exhaust manifold, which burns it.

You checked your oil level, I'm assuming. What oil do you use? If not a 10W-40, I'd recommend switching to that weight. You might try Valvoline MaxLife, which is an excellent semi-synthetic oil that contains extra seal conditioners to cut down on leaking. If the pressure is still low, check out the connector to the sender and see if it needs cleaning up.

But if your valve cover gasket is leaking, I'd recommend replacing it. Give you a chance to check out the condition of your timing chain guides and adjust the valves while you're in there.
WARNING: I'm not a professional tech - use any advice at your own risk. Working on vehicles is risky: you can kill or maim yourself or damage your truck if you don't know what you are doing. It's your responsibility to get qualified help if you lack auto repair training/experience.
sb5walker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sb5walker For This Useful Post:
Jeremy_C (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

I thought since i both started around the same time, they might be related. I wasn't sure if the oil sending unit could leak when it went bad. I drove it today, and upon start up the gauge went to normal, but slowly dropped to none. No wierd noises, so its either fine or will suddenly blow through the hood.

I've done some research on it, and from what I can tell the factory gauges are crap. I'm using 10w30 oil, but i'll switch to something thicker in the near future. This is my first ever toyota, and I dont know diddly squat about it.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wicked Clown Juggalo

Gameroom cash: $100536
View cd_god's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5walker View Post
Smelling burning oil is usually a sign of a valve cover leak. It leaks on the exhaust manifold, which burns it.

You checked your oil level, I'm assuming. What oil do you use? If not a 10W-40, I'd recommend switching to that weight. You might try Valvoline MaxLife, which is an excellent semi-synthetic oil that contains extra seal conditioners to cut down on leaking. If the pressure is still low, check out the connector to the sender and see if it needs cleaning up.

But if your valve cover gasket is leaking, I'd recommend replacing it. Give you a chance to check out the condition of your timing chain guides and adjust the valves while you're in there.
Not knocking SB5WALKER's advice on the oil recommendation as he is usually always right and has led me in the right direction in the past but from my own personal experience I had run Valvoline High mileage oil in my rebuilt motor since 500 miles (not sure why in a rebuilt motor so you could call it 0 miles not high mileage other than it was cheap at Walmart and I had good luck with Valvoline in the pat and it was thier synthetic blend brand) but when I had to tear my rebuilt motor down after 10,000 miles due to a crappy Rock brand head gasket and it looked like a ton of oil buildup (in my opinion) due to the oil which had been changed religously at a maximum of 1500 miles with Valvoline Maxlife exclusively.

If I didn't know the history of the motor and someone tried to sell it to me claiming it had 10K miles on it with the oil changed every 1,000 miles (which it has) I would have claimed bullshit.

I will have to see tomorrow what my 22R 165K mile motor look like after I pull the head to replace the head gasket again after 10K miles due to another Rock brand head gastet failure and Valvoline Maxlife every 1,000 mile oil change.

150K on stock 1989 stock motor.

10K on rebuilt motor 1994 22RE motor. Cylinder wall cross hatch machining still good but heavy deposit buildup (in my opinion)

cd_god is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cd_god For This Useful Post:
Jeremy_C (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

I started it up today....gauge isn't showing any pressure. I let it run for about 30 minutes, then drove it about 20 miles. Never showed any oil pressure. Surely it would have blown up by now. If it survives till pay day, i'll run a mechanical gauge to it.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $371855
View sb5walker's Photo Gallery
MaxLife is just Valvoline's Durablend semi-synthetic oil with some added seal conditioners (which are esters - lubricants in their own right). So there's nothing about MaxLife (or any high mileage oil) that would be more likely to get into the cylinders. If the motor has oil in the cyls, it got there either past the rings, past the valve seals, or past the head gasket - all mechanical failures having nothing to do with the type of oil.

Just sayin.

Jeremy, you have more guts than me. If my oil gauge showed zero pressure, I sure would be taking steps to check the pressure, rather than running it for 30 minutes. Sheezh.
WARNING: I'm not a professional tech - use any advice at your own risk. Working on vehicles is risky: you can kill or maim yourself or damage your truck if you don't know what you are doing. It's your responsibility to get qualified help if you lack auto repair training/experience.
sb5walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5walker View Post

Jeremy, you have more guts than me. If my oil gauge showed zero pressure, I sure would be taking steps to check the pressure, rather than running it for 30 minutes. Sheezh.

Thanks for not calling me an Moron....lmao.

I dont have a mechanical gauge, and I'm flat broke untill payday. If its gonna blow, i'd rather it blow at the house in the garage then 70 miles away along side the interstate. Hopefully I'll drop it by the garage monday morning and they can confirm oil pressure and do a compression check.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View elicitone8584's Photo Gallery
My truck did the same thing. All it turned out to be in mine was a bad wire to the sender. It would show zero to almost zero pressure pressure when hot. But normal when cold. replaced the connector and about 10" of wire and voila!
elicitone8584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $771385
View V62WDLongbed's Photo Gallery
If there was in fact zero oil pressure the engine would make all sorts of noises.... before it blew up.
V62WDLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux