Head bolts wont budge - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion forum for the 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux owners. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Head bolts wont budge

I am in the process of trying to remove the rocker assembly from my 89 22re. I have a couple of head bolts that will not budge. I do not plan on removing the head just removing the rocker assembly. Do any of you have any suggestions for freeing up the head bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I remember a couple being pretty tuff....the ones between cylinders 3 and 4 if I recall. I remember soaking them with punk blaster and having at it with a breaker bar and cheater bar, it was kinda scary cuz I've seen pictures of the bolts breaking.

Are you confident you aren't compromising the head gasket by not replacing it after taking out all the head bolts? Reason i ask is that I've seen discussions on that matter and most seem to believe it wouldn't be a good idea. Others have mentioned ratcheting the head down to the block on either ends corners to minimize the impact of releasing the head bolts.

Remember once you take those head bolts out you will want to do a very thorough job in cleaning out the bolt holes. Otherwise you may get false torque readings when putting them back in. The manual says to use a light (very light) coating of oil on the threads before bolting them in.

What's wrong with the rocker? rebuild time? or are you going to put one of the LCE oiling ones in there.

FOR SALE
1990 Camry LE v6
1992 Pickup DLX 4x4 4cyl.
2014 RAV4 AWD Limited
#3 Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
For right now I need to inspect the oiling tubes and rockers to determine why the two rear exhaust rockers are not getting any oil. Then once I find the culprit it will be time for a little rebuild. I just want to make sure I don't break any head bolts. I started soaking them last night and I guess I will just keep soaking it for a while before I really try and break them loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > 89-95 Toyota Pickup/Hilux