thinking of buying a 86 toyota 4x4 etended cab turbo need info - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bigirishguy50's Photo Gallery
thinking of buying a 86 toyota 4x4 etended cab turbo need info

I am thinking of buying an 86 toyota extended cab 4x4 22ret turbo automatic trans. is there anything i should pay close attention to besides the obvious.. it suposidly has the 23 spline transfer and the heavy duty trans.. how are the Auto transmissions on these trucks.. how well do they hold up... i am pretty good back yard mecahnic type.. have owned and worked on my own buick grand nationals for years..

if i dont buy this one the i might buy an 83 4x4 5 speed from another guy.. i need to know the same stuff about that perticular year..
bigirishguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
TOYO-MAN

View sonofmayhem's Photo Gallery
86 would be better, its got the efi and is probably in better shape. i dont think those trannies are too bad if you dont race it.

85, lifted and ready to rock!
sonofmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View reality_rx's Photo Gallery
bad idea.....

I don't want to be a jerk, but, I've heard that unless you give TURBO 22Rs a LOT of idling COOL-DOWN time after a hard run, you might as well scrap it. These turbos need LOTS of COOL-DOWN time!!! Don't buy unless you plan to spend the time!!!!!!!!
reality_rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Toyota Fanboy

Lifetime Supreme Member
View Bakemono's Photo Gallery
I wasnt aware that the 22R-TE (turbocharged 22R-e) was available in the truck, I thought you could only get that engine in the 4Runner.
I wouldnt worry about the tranny that much. They were kind of known for overheating if you worked them hard, but I think that goes for any automatic tranny.
Both trucks would be fine, it just depends upon what you want. The turboed one would probably be a lot faster, but the non-turboed one would probably be less maintenance and overall less of a hassle on a day to day basis.
Cap'n
'07 Toyota Camry LE
Toyota: Like other cars, only better.

Bakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

View Sidney's Photo Gallery
These are 3 Turbo gas (22R-TE) based 4-Runner/pickup discussion sites:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/22RTE-Trucks
http://www.well.com/user/mosk/welcome.htm
http://www.turboparts.info/pages/620208/index.htm

Yes all turbos require long idling and cool down prior to shutting engine off.

Sidney® ™
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:sidneybek@yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 246 000 KM

O
|\ __O
_|_| \
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View thetallguy's Photo Gallery
Turbo pickups were available 86/87 in very small numbers. As far as maintenance goes, the turbos require close attention and persistance when it comes to letting them warm up and cool down before/after operating. If you should go for a turbo, a big plus would be opting for a different turbo. The Toyota C20 is not worth it's weight!!! Depending on power wants, there are several options. I have an '86 I converted to turbo from carbed (VERY EXPENSIVE PROJECT!) and went with a Greddy t3/4 which has performed excellent from break-in to the now 4800k+ point. If you can get a stock turbo rig for a reasonable price for the condition, it is a real buck saver if you really want a turboed 'Yota 4x4. One is because the 22r/re blocks do not have the required oil galley plugs(as the 22ret has) to feed the turbo, so fabrication time is required. Another is the ECU. I looked for about five months for a 22ret ECU and the prices for the FEW I came accross were as high as a new SDS system, and is not nearly as adjustable. So, the ultimate question if you want turbo, is it just to have 'turbo' under the hood, or for serious power gains?
thetallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux