'87 Pickup AT Shifting Malfunction - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
'87 Pickup AT Shifting Malfunction

Hi,

I have an 87 Pickup, 2.4L 22R Eng/2WD with Automatic Transmission. It has a push-button overdrive control.

My problem is that, while the transmission shifts adequately from first to second gear, it is failing to shift from 2nd to third, etc, on its own. One thing I've found is that it can and will upshift or downshift by manually removing my foot from the accelerator. On hills it downshifts with the slightest pressure on the gas peddle (which I assume is normal).

My fluids are up.

It just won't shift on its own. I've tried flooring it and it just goes. I've had the truck going almost 50mph in second gear--not good. However, it does consistently shift into the desired gear when I use the gas pedal trick.

I contacted a transmission shop and they said it might simply be a "control issue." Also, as an aside, I picked up some dialogue from an online forum regarding engine water temperature. I don't know if that is at all pertinent, but the Toyota's temperature sensor is currently faulty and needs replacing.

Any theories?

I'll try to provide more information if anyone asks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
grease monkey

their is adjustable linkage

1994 Toyota Pickup Ext. Cab
2.4L I4 22RE, 5speed, 2x4
#3 Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
the anti-rice

My 83 is doing exacly the same thing. Even the temp sensor stopped working and yesterday i found all my coolent boiling over into the overflow. I think the coolent problem was from a leaking radiator cap but I need to know what is up with my transmition. if I can't fix it easily then I'm swapping in a manual. I'm good with automatics but after rebuilding a friends I found that toyotas are a nightmare. there's miles of vacume tubing coming out from the oddest places.... It's getting frustrating because I just put a new 2.5" exaust on it and an ACCEL ignition.

1991 mazda 323 (turbo on the way.)

1983 toyota pickup 22R
#4 Old 01-02-2006, 07:44 AM
New TN User

I have an 87 exact model.On this model there is a kick down cable that controls the way your truck shifts and at what speeds. It is located next to the throttle cable.Loosen the two #14 locknuts and get a little slack in the cable. Back the cable housing about a quarter of an inch ,lock the cable in this spot and give it a try. I think you will see a noticiable improvement.I had the same problem and made that same adjustment and it worked perfect......GOOD LUCK
#5 Old 03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
New TN User

Thanks for the tip I have an 88' and backing off the kickdown worked for me after I repaired the cable . As I was trying to adjust the cable I found the Collar on the cable had broken loose from the cable housing. To see if your solution worked I had to disconnect the kickdown cable from the throttle. I started off in second gear and then transiton to 3 to OD.I then repaired the cable and adjusted it as you reccommened and all is OK . Thanks again.
#6 Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Official TN Member

good info, i have an 88 with the A43D pushbutton overdrive trans,
no problem with it so far but i may check the tension there just to know how its doing these days

good luck

many 1987 toy truck parts, lots of parts inside and out, also have many '88 pickup parts still.. try me! pm or email me, also fastr68 on yahoo messenger anytime 24/7 signed in on there.

Last edited by fast68; 03-20-2006 at 03:27 PM.
#7 Old 03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
BlackBayou'83Sr54x4

Lightbulb stuck open thermostat

does the problem occur during warm up? because I had an 88 2wd truck automatic with pushbutton overdrive with a problem like this. especally while the truck would warm up. the Transmission seemed to take forever to shift into third untill the truck warmed up. I asked my buddy at work what would cause the transmission to take so long to shift into 3rd and he told me that that the coolant temperature has to reach certain temperatures for the ECU (computer) to read in order for the transmission to shift and will not shift untill it reached that temperature.the problem was the thermostat was stuck open and it was taking longer for the coolant temperature to rise. So I replaced the thermostat and the problem was fixed

Last edited by 88Lil'Red22R-E; 03-27-2006 at 08:35 PM.
#8 Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 PM
NY born, Texas raised

Did you check the TPS? A mis-adjusted throttle position sensor will cause you hell with shifting.

'86 4runner, 22RE, auto, 4" ProComp lift, 33x12.5 BFG All-Terrains on 15" A/R rims, clear lens front & rear, 260,000+ miles. Wanting 4.88 gears and soft-top.

'88 4runner, V6, 5spd, sunroof, power everything, 185,000+ miles.
#9 Old 08-24-2006, 12:13 AM
New TN User

Has anyone found the problem to this I adjusted my cable but all I did was make my trans shift harder, still skips 3rd and goes to OD, I'm sick of redlineing 2nd too!!
#10 Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 PM
New TN User

Question? I read above to check the TPS? On carbed models do they also have a TPS?

Damon
#11 Old 10-01-2006, 06:35 PM
New TN User

I had the same problem with my 85 Toyota pick-up, it would shift from 1st to 2nd and then skip 3rd and go to overdrive. I was told it was a problem with the shift solenoids on the trans. valve body. I pulled them out and cleaned and checked them and they were ok. Kept driving it for awhile and I bought some valve body gaskets and a couple of manuals from Toyota and an after market one form Transmission Exchange Co. I pulled my valve body off and separated the upper and lower halves pulled all the pistons/valves out. They are all spring loaded and held in by a "dumbbell" looking thing, that is held in by a small piece of square stalk, one of the "dumbbell" things was broken. I went to Toyota and you can not buy any pieces for the valve body you have to buy the whole thing and it is big bucks. I went to the Trans. Exchange place and there you could buy the upper or lower halves of the valve body but no pieces. I asked the guy if someone may have one in there box or just sitting around and they did. It has to be the right size diameter and the right length. I reassembled the valve body and installed it back on the truck, went for test drive and it all worked fine. That was about 40,000 miles ago. I have 188,000 miles on my truck and it still shifts fine. If you are going to pull your valve body off I would suggest that you be mechanically incline and that you have a manual and read up on it first. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kfngrn; 10-01-2006 at 06:38 PM.
#12 Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 PM
New TN User

Sorry for my last post do not know why it is so small.
#13 Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 AM
New TN User

I have a 1987 Toyota pickup 22r carburated not fuel injected pickup two wheel drive with column shift automatic transmission extendrd cab longbed not a SR5.

My problem is with the overdrive automatic transmission.

While driving the truck I hear what sounds like a relay clicking and then the overdrive disengages. You can reengage the overdrive with the button which is located on the column shifter and it may or may not say engaged.

I wonder if adjusting the cable will solve this problem?
#14 Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
New TN User

Unhappy Kickdown cable

Hi all...

Recently inherited a 1985 Toyota pickup from my grandfather. It's got almost 300,000 miles on it, and an automatic transmission. A couple of days ago, the truck happily shifts up, but it refuses to shift down. I looked under the hood, and noticed the kickdown cable doesn't move back and forth like it should. In fact, it's not adjustable. I assumed it broke at some point in time and someone mickey moused it together using a ball setup like you see on ceiling fans...

Where can I find another cable? I've searched the 'net to no avail. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by patrickbp; 07-07-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Making sure I get notified.
#15 Old 07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
New TN User

same problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by toynwitya View Post
I have an 87 exact model.On this model there is a kick down cable that controls the way your truck shifts and at what speeds. It is located next to the throttle cable.Loosen the two #14 locknuts and get a little slack in the cable. Back the cable housing about a quarter of an inch ,lock the cable in this spot and give it a try. I think you will see a noticiable improvement.I had the same problem and made that same adjustment and it worked perfect......GOOD LUCK
I have same issue. Are there any marking to suggest where to set cable.?

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux