clutch adjustment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
mr. bigred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb clutch adjustment

how do i adjust a clutch in my 1987 toyota 4x4 truck?
i think it has a cable of some sort but i cant seem to find it
can anyone help me maybe point me to a site that has pictures ?

any help would be helpful
thanks guys !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2005, 07:32 PM
New TN User

Ummmmm.......it's hydraulic and self adjusting
#3 Old 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Official TN Member

It's hydraulic and adjustable. The push rod between the clutch pedal and the clutch master cylinder is adjustable for length. Loosen the lock nut and turn the pushrod in or out as needed.
#4 Old 06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
New TN User

new clutch slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
Ummmmm.......it's hydraulic and self adjusting
i am having a problem with mine. i have a 1986 toyota pickup 22r, 4 speed.
the clutching was slipping in feb of this year, took it to local garage and he put in new clutch and re surfaced the flywheel. picked it up and clutch was letting out at top the same as before and slipping, i was told the master cylinger and although it was only a year old i let him put one on, still slipped, so i said what should we do now? he said slave cylinder so i went got one and he put it on. the clutch is still in worse shape than it was before he ever touched it. i still owe him $58 for labor and have paid him over $250 in labor.
i asked him if he could have put it in backward, he said it would not go in backward, i think it will. he said then that if it were in backward it would pull all the time. i said which one do i believe bubba? i asked him when he wanted to take it down to see what was wrong. he said he would only do that if i paid him the $58 and paid him the price of putting in another clutch.
you can just imagine how mad i got, but i didn't say anything. i have a man who is going to do the clutch in a couple three weeks who is a neutral party.

can anyone tell me what they think this is other than the wrong mechanic??
i already know it took it to the wrong place. can the clutch be in backward?
he is trying to say weak pressure plate in the clutch kit i supplied. that don't sound right to me.

you guys deal with this all the time on these old trucks and i love my little truck. it gets 37 mpg so you can understand i want to keep it.
#5 Old 06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Official TN Member

Clutch adjustment

The clutch disc can be installed backwards but, the hub will hit the flywheel hub area and the pressure won't bolt up properly. Be sure that there is no air in the hydraulic system. If there is any air in the system, no amount of adjustment will make the clutch function properly. You don't mention the throw out bearing but it is often included in many clutch kits. It may not have been installed properly-- one possibility. There is an adjustment inside the cab, attached to the clutch pedal at the top. There is a push rod that connects the pedal to the clutch master cylinder. Loosen the lock nut and turn the push rod to either lengthen or shorten it. Check the free travel of the pedal. It should be approx. 1/2 inch at least. If there is no free travel, that may be an indication that the pressure plate is not releasing completely and there fore slipping. Give all this a try and let us know what happens. Good luck.
#6 Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryM View Post
The clutch disc can be installed backwards but, the hub will hit the flywheel hub area and the pressure won't bolt up properly. Be sure that there is no air in the hydraulic system. If there is any air in the system, no amount of adjustment will make the clutch function properly. You don't mention the throw out bearing but it is often included in many clutch kits. It may not have been installed properly-- one possibility. There is an adjustment inside the cab, attached to the clutch pedal at the top. There is a push rod that connects the pedal to the clutch master cylinder. Loosen the lock nut and turn the push rod to either lengthen or shorten it. Check the free travel of the pedal. It should be approx. 1/2 inch at least. If there is no free travel, that may be an indication that the pressure plate is not releasing completely and there fore slipping. Give all this a try and let us know what happens. Good luck.
thanks gregory

the kit had the new bearing and were installed and bleed. there were 2 people working on the clutch and in a big hurry so who knows. the adjust ment under the dasy has been taken both ways. i have taken it in until the adjustment bottoms out against the clutch arm. it lets out about and inch to and inch and a half from the top but going down the road you can touch the clutch pedal and barely press and it slips. he has said bad pressure plate in the new kit. but won't touch unless i pay him first to replace it. i said no i will take it to a neutral garage. if it is the clutch the parts place will replace the clutch with a new kit and pay the average price for labor to replace it. if its the first mechanics fault i have to pay. so i told him i would pay him the $58 i owe him but not until the other garage can get the truck in and fix it.
i just want to see if it is the clutch or the mechanic. he acts like he knows they did something wrong. if i had been the mechanic i would have immediately pulled the truck back in and pulled the clutch out to see what was wrong. i was a dept manager for one of the largest automotive dealerships in north carolina. i had a lot of satisfied customers because it didn't leave until it was right. the way this mechanic has acted shows no professionalism at all. thank you so much for you expertise you really sound like you know your toyota's. i love this site its a great service to the toyota owners. i am an upholstery man getting ready to semi retire, thank god, and if i can help anyone about their interior i would be glad too. again thanks.
people call me woody, some call me other things but woody is the nicest.
#7 Old 06-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Official TN Member

USA clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocojar View Post
i am having a problem with mine. i have a 1986 toyota pickup 22r, 4 speed.
the clutching was slipping in feb of this year, took it to local garage and he put in new clutch and re surfaced the flywheel. picked it up and clutch was letting out at top the same as before and slipping, i was told the master cylinger and although it was only a year old i let him put one on, still slipped, so i said what should we do now? he said slave cylinder so i went got one and he put it on. the clutch is still in worse shape than it was before he ever touched it. i still owe him $58 for labor and have paid him over $250 in labor.
i asked him if he could have put it in backward, he said it would not go in backward, i think it will. he said then that if it were in backward it would pull all the time. i said which one do i believe bubba? i asked him when he wanted to take it down to see what was wrong. he said he would only do that if i paid him the $58 and paid him the price of putting in another clutch.
you can just imagine how mad i got, but i didn't say anything. i have a man who is going to do the clutch in a couple three weeks who is a neutral party.

can anyone tell me what they think this is other than the wrong mechanic??
i already know it took it to the wrong place. can the clutch be in backward?
he is trying to say weak pressure plate in the clutch kit i supplied. that don't sound right to me.

you guys deal with this all the time on these old trucks and i love my little truck. it gets 37 mpg so you can understand i want to keep it.
are you sure that they actually replaced the clutch?something sounds flaky all the way around about all this.if the clutch disk was put in backwards the spring hub would be hitting against the flywheel and the clutch would slip worse if it would engage at all i would think.picture a flat clutch disk,one side is flush with the clutch fibers,the other side has the hub and spring assembly,if that assembly was against the flywheel it would keep the flywheel side of the disk from making full contact with the flywheel.i think you are doing right by having a neutral person check it for you.
#8 Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Official TN Member

Woody, the throw out bearing is pressed onto a hub which rides on a sleeve which is concentric to the input of the transmission (wheew!). It is possible that when the throw out bearing was replaced, it may not have been seated all the way and there fore the the throw out is in partial contact with the release fingers of the pressure plate. Also, the throw out fork may not be installed properly thus giving the same result. I admit this is all a long shot but, hey, you never know unless you check it out. If the parts are installed correctly, they almost can't help but function correctly. Keep after it and let us know the out come.
#9 Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryM View Post
Woody, the throw out bearing is pressed onto a hub which rides on a sleeve which is concentric to the input of the transmission (wheew!). It is possible that when the throw out bearing was replaced, it may not have been seated all the way and there fore the the throw out is in partial contact with the release fingers of the pressure plate. Also, the throw out fork may not be installed properly thus giving the same result. I admit this is all a long shot but, hey, you never know unless you check it out. If the parts are installed correctly, they almost can't help but function correctly. Keep after it and let us know the out come.

thanks gregory and dennis for both your imput.
he has tried to blame it on weak pressure plate but i have a hard time accepting that. i get to take it in the week of the 23rd and see what is wrong. this guy is a good honest mechanic.
#10 Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
New TN User

howdy guys,

i finally got the clutch fixed in my 1986 toyota. the engine is a carburator engine and the truck had a fuel injection transmission and there was a difference in the throw out bearing and i think something else.
i had to take it to a mechanic who is in his 20's go get it fixed. the first guy had put the wrong clutch in on purpose setting me up for a big rip off. the young guy went to advance auto and got on their computer with one of the staff and in about an hour had it figured out. installation cost was only $150 and $25 for changing the seal around the back main. i gave him a $25 tip. i furnished the clutch kit.
we have about 5 kids who run a garage in my little small town all in their early to mid 20's and all damn good mechanics. they stay so busy it is unreal. we trade work some and i am currently doing the seats in an accura intergra coupe in black vinyl with red top stitching for one of the guys and a camaro black with white top stitching for one of the other guys. i love helping these young kids with their projects and since i don't have to depend on it for a living anymore i give them a real good deal on their interior work. now if i could just get someone to get interested in learning interior work so i could pass the business on to them it would be great. but so far no luck. my 17 year old grandson wants to be a CSI and when he finishes high school this year he has bootcamp for the national guard, thats how he is paying for his education.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux