Carburetor Rebuild ?'s and Pics - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View phburks's Photo Gallery
Carburetor Rebuild ?'s and Pics

I decided it would be a fun project to rebuild the carburetor for my 1988 22R. Here's what it looks like currently, after disassembly and cleaning:

I'm about ready to reassemble it, but I've come up with a couple of questions I can't find answers to. First, I discovered that my carburetor is missing the hot idle compensator valve (it's supposed to be in the circled area in the picture below, but mine was missing when I bought the truck). I've been driving without it since July. Will it hurt anything to keep driving without it?

I also noticed in the rebuild kit two little ball bearings, one smaller than the other, but I didn't remove any from the carburetor during disassembly. Does anybody know where these are in the carburetor?

Thanks for any help, and here are a couple of more pics for those interested.

Removing the air horn assembly:

Separating carb body and flange:
phburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View sc00tert00ter's Photo Gallery
could be a generic kit for aisin carbs. i got a bunch of unused stuff with my kit and it was the specific rebuild kit from napa
black rims
sc00tert00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
Check link below for explanation of what a hot idle compensator does:

http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechT...um=2&modNum=10

Clik on the link below for the diagram of a 22R carb, see if it matches yours.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

thanks for the info, both of you. i imagine that if i haven't had problems with no hot idle compensator yet, then it probably won't be a problem.

i've scoured over every diagram I can find for my carb, including the FSM, and none of them show any ball bearings anywhere. so, i'm going to assume that sc00tert00ter is right and they are not needed for my carb. i suppose i'll find out once it's all back together, huh?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
im addicted to yotas

View toyotaman22r's Photo Gallery
The little balls sit in a tube, which is part of the accelerator pump. I didnt replace mine when I rebuilt it, and the corroded and clogged, and then the truck wouldnt stay idling. And my carb doesnt have that hot idle compensator valve on it either. It never did.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

thanks toyotaman. i'll have to see if i can find that.

here's another question. during disassembly i noticed that the electronic choke heater had been jimmied open at some point in the past. Only one rivet was intact holding the cover on, and there was what remained of a screw in one of the other rivet holes. i drilled out the three holes and when i took the cover off, well long story short is I don't know how to put this thing back together. there are two coiled springs, one much thicker than the other. and then there is the choke breaker that doesn't really appear to attach to anything.

anyway, does anyone have pics or diagrams, or even a description of how this is supposed to be assembled. i couldn't find it in the FSM, but then again it is late and i've been staring at this thing all evening.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

New problem. The carb is back together and on the truck. All lines and hoses back in their proper places, but it doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. I sprayed some starting fluid into the carb just to see if the truck would start, and it did, but died as soon as the starter fluid burned up. There is no fuel visible in the sight glass even after many rotations of the engine. The truck started and ran before I tore into the carb, so I'm sure it's not a problem with the fuel pump or filter.

Any ideas?

Is it possible that some internal passage in the carb is blocked and that is preventing any fuel from getting into the float bowl? I'd really hate to have to tear it all apart again, though it probably would go quicker the second time.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Well I figured out why the bowl wasn't filling with fuel. I had the needle valve assembled wrong and it wasn't letting any fuel flow. Hopefully that didn't put too much back pressure on the fuel pump. It seemed to run okay when I drove it around. I guess time will tell.

Here are a few more pics. These are of the carb after it was cleaned and reassembled.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Rickisan's Photo Gallery
Nice pictures and write up.

I just picked up the kit today to do mine and seeing your pictures and reading what you did is giving me confidence to try it soon.

One thing though, I was surprised to see there is no accelerator pump diaphragm included in the kit I got. Did your kit have this diaphragm? Seems like any carb kit should have the accel pump diaphragm!

Thanks and hope yours continues to work well. Oh did you find much gunk and sludge when you got it opened up?
Rickisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Mine came with 3 diaphragms: one for the accelerator pump, one for the auxiliary pump, and one for the choke breaker. I'm surprised there wasn't one in yours. I'd exchange it for another kit. You can use the numbers printed on the little metal tag on your carb to get a kit specific to your carb style.

When I got mine apart, the bottom of the bowl looked pretty nasty. And there was a lot of varnish. The truck had sat for about 4 years with a seized engine before I bought it, so I kind of expected it to need some work.

It's been running a lot better since I did the carb rebuild. Starts very easy now, and idles more steadily than it ever did before. It was definitely worth the moments of confusion and frustration I had during the rebuild. I'm waiting to see if my mileage is affected.

Good luck with yours. I took a lot of pics while doing mine. Let me know if you need any for reference. Here's one of what the bottom of the bowl looked like when I pulled the top off. You can see the particles and sludgy-like gunk in the bottom of it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Better gas mileage indeed!

Holy carp! It's been almost three weeks since I rebuilt my carburetor. I just moved to/arrived in Orlando, and I was averaging about 28 mpg on the highway. And that was with my pickup loaded down. That's a 4-5 mpg improvement over what I was previously getting with my truck empty.

Next job is my timing chain. I didn't have time to do it while visiting my family in Tennessee. It's gonna need it soon, but I have to find somewhere I can do the repair. Our apartment complex gave me a warning about changing my oil and checking my spark plugs out in the parking lot. They'd kick us out for sure if I did the timing chain here.

Ah well. This is a time for rejoicing as better mpg is always a good thing!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Rickisan's Photo Gallery
Thanks for the pics and clarification on the diaphragms.

Wow, 28mpg is something to look forward to for sure. Plus, the reliability is validated by completing the trip from Tennessee to Florida! Congratulations!

My truck situation is much different. It's needing lots of little things cause the previous owner never did much besides change the oil occasionally. So for the most part I'm changing and cleaning whatever most obviously needs attention.

I'm in Florida Tallahassee. probably too far away for a timing chain job
Rickisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View buricad's Photo Gallery
phburks
Did you ever find out where the little balls went in your carb? I'm rebuilding the same carb and can't find them in this carb: (there definitely are none under the power valve--don't know whether they were taken out or never existed).
buricad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View myyota's Photo Gallery
The hot idle compensator was only used on the early model carbs, my 84 and 85 trucks don`t have it.

Gathering parts, getting ready to build it.
myyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View buricad's Photo Gallery
Myyota, thanks for the response, since I had a question about that too. Are the passages in and out of the HIC space open to outside air or are they plugged on your carbs? (I've seen pictures and some carbs have a cover over that space and some do not, but I can't tell if the passages are present and open or plugged).

Last edited by buricad; 01-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.
buricad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux