How to check cooling fan clutch? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $162645
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mikes451's Photo Gallery
How to check cooling fan clutch?

Im just wondering if my cooling fan is working properly. Ive got a 1988 22r and ive never seen the motor run without the fan spinning even in cold weather. I thought the fan wasn't supposed to turn until the motor heats up. Also is the fan supposed to quit spinning when you reach highway speeds? And is there a way I can test my clutch? Thanks
mikes451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $105360
View verlaryder's Photo Gallery
The fan is supposed to spin continuously, but at relatively low RPM except in when extra radiator cooling is needed. Conditions when the fan should roar loudly include creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic and going up hills in hot weather. In really hot weather (around 100 degrees F) the fan may roar more or less continuously.

To check the fan clutch, open the hood in the morning before starting up the engine. The fan should spin with considerable resistance. If the fan free wheels with no resistance then the fan clutch is bad. But they rarely go bad. A symptom of a bad fan clutch is the engine temperature gauge rising up to the 3/4 mark or beyond in bumper to bumper traffic and going up hills in hot weather.
verlaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View grungebucket's Photo Gallery
What verlaryder said, mostly. It shouldn't take a great deal of effort to turn the fan when the engine (and everything around it) is not warmed up. But, it should take effort. If it spins easily, or if it's impossible to spin, then the fan clutch needs to be replaced.

It's not uncommon for an old fan clutch to fail, either, but they usually do so by seizing up. I had to replace the fan cluch on my '88 4Runner for exactly that reason. Just driving slowly around a parking lot created a deafening roar from the fan, because it was running at crankshaft speed (seized fan clutch, no slipping at all).
grungebucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux